Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   windshield replacement (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/143997-windshield-replacement.html)

Cornercarverfan 01-17-2021 01:52 PM

Were you able to get the answers you were after with regards to ceramic coatings on windscreens? I am a detailer and can speak to this if you still have questions.

Justin

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaider (Post 1482119)
Has anyone tried a polycarbonate (or Lexan) replacement with a silicon dioxide (commercial name ceramic) coating. While I don't believe it will prevent chips from road debris, the exceptionally smooth surface should enhance optical clarity and water shedding if you ever get caught in a rain event (never happens right?). Sort of a more durable Rain-X type treatment.

Ed

eschaider 01-17-2021 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornercarverfan (Post 1487797)
Were you able to get the answers you were after with regards to ceramic coatings on windscreens? I am a detailer and can speak to this if you still have questions.

Justin

I did not get any definitive answers, Justin. I would genuinely appreciate your perspective as a detailer.

Thx for the offer to add clarity, no pun intended.

Ed

Cornercarverfan 01-18-2021 04:47 PM

Good day Ed,

Applying a “ceramic coating” to a painted substrate, the intended use, serves three purposes. First, it levels the paint filling extremely fine blemishes and flaws, allowing for a greater level of gloss. Secondly, the protective properties, help minimize scratching. These products will not always protect, meaning, the product will protect from light scratching from improper washing and drying techniques as well as a slight bump from someone in jeans brushing against your car in a parking lot. Ceramic coatings will not protect from rock chips (more on this later). I regularly apply ceramic coatings to paint, glass and wheels. This helps with overall cleaning, reducing the amount of brake dust that sticks to wheels, and how much garbage sticks to the paint.
Does this work? To an extent, yes. Is it the end all, be all? No.

It is my understanding the poly windscreens for our cars come with an anti-scratch coating already. Without performing firsthand testing, I would guess this would inhibit the proper bond of Ceramic to the windscreen. An alternative to expensive ceramic coatings, a maintenance spray for ceramic coatings would make quick work of dust, dirt, bird droppings, etc, while leaving a super slick surface behind. I can recommend some products if you prefer.

If you are interested in taking an additional step to protect your poly windscreen, I would like to introduce you to a product called ClearPlex. Think of this as paint protection film for your windscreen. This IS designed to prevent scratching, marring and rock chips, as it works to dissipate the energy of the stone across the entire windscreen. Again, if the windscreen manufacturer has the screens coated, this may affect the longevity of the installation overall.

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask away if you have more questions.

Justin

eschaider 01-18-2021 10:48 PM

Thanks for the thoughtful response and commentary, Justin.

The ClearPlex product you are talking about sounds like a film that you apply to the windscreen when it is out of its frame and then reinstall it after having applied the ClearPlex. The possible film like qualities and the chip protection begs a question about using it on a Cobra replica, like a wrap, to protect the paint from stone chips.

Is that something that is possible or am I misusing a good tool designed for a different purpose?

Thanks,

Ed

Cornercarverfan 01-23-2021 09:33 PM

ClearPlex is a dedicated window film that can be applied after the glass is fitted into the frame. Removing the film after the windshield is in the frame would be a nightmare! It would be best to cut and heat-shape the film to the glass once mounted in the frame. It is designed to take the brunt of trauma (and does quite well) allowing the windshield to live another day. Think of it as a helmet visor tear away, albeit more costly, and therefore lasting much longer. ($500~)

The Paint Protection Film, or PPF as it’s usually referred to, is an entirely different beast, molding to the curves much better than ClearPlex ever would. While I’m sure you could use PPF to protect glass, I’m uncertain of the optical clarity. Also, having used both products, I would give the nod for glass protection to the ClearPlex product. I install PPF regularly and will often use ceramic coatings on top to add gloss and hydrophobic properties (beads/sheds water). With proper care PPF and ceramic used together can keep your paint looking primo for 2 years or more!

Ed, I hope this clears up any misnomers and guides you in the proper direction. Feel free to shoot any head scratchers my way!

Justin

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaider (Post 1487841)
Thanks for the thoughtful response and commentary, Justin.

The ClearPlex product you are talking about sounds like a film that you apply to the windscreen when it is out of its frame and then reinstall it after having applied the ClearPlex. The possible film like qualities and the chip protection begs a question about using it on a Cobra replica, like a wrap, to protect the paint from stone chips.

Is that something that is possible or am I misusing a good tool designed for a different purpose?

Thanks,

Ed

Grubby 01-24-2021 06:56 AM

Breaking windshields is just luck.

I am 56 and have only had 2 windshields broken in decades of driving. Both in the last 5 years and in the same daily driver.

Two Cobras with a combined 25k miles and no rock breaks. I bought one Cobra with a broken windshield. It was broke by a screw for the visor going too far in.

For a street car, I would using nothing but OE type windshields.

Your money your car.

John

AdamIsAdam 02-17-2021 07:59 PM

I want to get the Cobra Valley windshield for my FFR MKIV. I'm confused about how to precisely measure the existing windshield that's currently installed on the car. Do I measure just the glass, inside the frame? I assume I lay a tape measure along the glass. But their measurement page also talks about a broom handle/straight edge. So that confused me.

I measured 12 5/6" top to bottom inside center.
Top across inside to inside along glass is 45.5"
Bottom across inside to inside along glass is 49.75"

I'll go back out and verify these numbers. But if correct, is that simply their Type 1 product?

(EDIT: I measured again. It's hard to get an exact measurement with a tape measure (two people). I may use string. These measurements all need 1/4" added to them to account for glass being set into the frame per their site. I wonder how precise these measurements have to be or is their some wiggle room inside of the frame... or do they just make all Type 1 windshields the same.)

TIA,

CJ428CJ 02-20-2021 09:39 AM

Just lay the tape measure along the glass. That broom reference is to show you the curvature of the glass. I recently replaced the windshield in my ERA with the Cobra Valley windshield. Like you, my measurements didn't work out exactly to the specs shown on his website. There is some flexibility in sizing. That is, the new windshields get "glued" into the frame and the frame will flex quite a bit. I had a hard time narrowing my choice down between two sizes. I reached out to Performance Unlimited to make sure he had both sizes in stock. He did so I chose to remove the frame the glass, measure the glass without the frame and then place my order. That gave me a bit more confidence in my measurements.

By the way, removing the frame from the old glass was the hardest part. It got much easier once I started using a heat gun to heat up the old seal. That made sliding the frame off much easier.

Good luck.

AdamIsAdam 02-21-2021 07:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I took better measurements. Good to know there is flexibility on install. I'm having the glass shipped to the shop doing the install, so I don't want to take it all apart to measure.

Instead of a metal tape measure, I used this type of tape measure. Much easier to follow the curves. (You can see it laying on the cover over the seats.)

AdamIsAdam 05-19-2021 08:41 PM

Finally got my Cobra Valley Polyglass windshield installed. Looks amazing and seems stronger than glass. No more crack!

AdamIsAdam 07-01-2021 06:46 PM

After a day of highway driving (high speed) I noticed my windshield seems to flex a lot more than it did before. All bolts to the frame are tight and there doesn't appear to be any movement of the `glass within the frame. It's the entire thing across the top that flexes and the bottom moves fore/after as the top flexes since the sides are not moving.

https://youtu.be/Zc-kohQuTqY

Thoughts?

NROTOXIN 07-01-2021 10:27 PM

Did you happen to notify the Cobra Valley about this to get any feedback on your issue? Don't understand why someone purchases from A, has an issue, then asked opinion from B. How about calling them an giving them first crack at it......no pun intended.

AdamIsAdam 07-02-2021 03:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In fact I did. Randall was very responsive and offered a suggestion. I'll paste his reply here. I asked my question here to see if others experienced anything similar since Randall didn't see my car for himself.
(In my opinion, I don't think the adhesive separated, at least it doesn't look that way to me.)

Quote:

Without hands on the piece, one would think the bond separated at the
frame somewhere.

To answer your last question, even if the bonding separated the only
issue would be if you used a soft top, it might pull the frame up off
the windshield. This would happen to a plastic or glass windshield if
not securely bonded. Otherwise, it has no real affect on normal driving.
It shouldn't come out of the frame, if it's inside deep enough inside
it of course. And the only real issue the flex would have is if the rear
view mirror was mounted high up on the windshield like a conventional
car, which you'd see the movement more prevalent then.

Otherwise, quite a few install them with no adhesive... however, they
also have bottom brackets and center support rods.

Now, as a side note to help you out, this may "seem" odd, but it works
better than you think. To avoid drilling any holes in anything, make
yourself a center bracket out of steel. Stainless would be nice (only
because you can polish it). Then use 3M-VHB double sided tape on the
bottom and front of the bracket. Stick it on nice and tight. VHB allows
for initial placement and then cures after a day or so to be really
sticky. It also comes off with heat and doesn't damage paint. It would
be 10x better if you could screw it to the frame, and just use the 3M on
the bottom. It's not going anywhere. But if you have to glue both sides,
that's better than nothing.

That little addition will do a lot in flex reduction! You would be amazed.

ncraigcook 07-04-2021 03:29 PM

Replacing Windshield

Adam:

What color are your stripes?

Is that titanium ?

Thanks,

Craig

AdamIsAdam 07-04-2021 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know the color name but I'm happy to take more pics. It's silver.

Sycraft 07-05-2021 04:55 AM

I have the bracket, but not installed because my windshield is slightly off center ( or my stripes are) and the bracket looks bad sitting not centered to the stripe. But the 3M tape may work, will see if that works. I can glue screw heads on the bracket to make it look proper

AdamIsAdam 07-05-2021 05:07 AM

Can you measure the angle and other dimensions of the bracket? Or can I buy one?

Sycraft 07-05-2021 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam (Post 1494516)
Can you measure the angle and other dimensions of the bracket? Or can I buy one?

https://www.shellvalley.com/index.cf...prod/prd24.htm

Took a few days to arrive