17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-12-2020, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Brake System Configuration

Some thoughts and opinions please....working on a frankenstein resurrection / completion project...this is my first cobra and I am looking for input on brake system. It is intended to be a good street car... with good bones for the next owner. Stroked 390, but nothing radical, toploader 4 speed, 8.8" solid rear end, 4 wheel disc brakes. Questions...
Piston count in the f and r calipers?
disc diameter
single or double master cyclinders?
Manufacturer?
I assume the balance bar adjusts / tunes the f -r application ratio? (similar to a proportioning valve)
Budget is a bit of a concern, but more of a concern is the resale value if the car is not "correct".
Old 09-12-2020, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

Wilwoods are usually a good bet.
Forged Dynalites 4-piston F/R with 1-3/4" pistons in the front and 1-3/8" in the rear for reasonable balance. Dual master cylinders are good with a balance bar if you can work it in. I liked the BP-20 pads for street/track but the BP-10s are cleaner street pads.
https://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Cal...ged%20Dynalite
https://www.wilwood.com/BrakePads/Br...emno=150-8850K
Hope this helps.
Jim
Old 09-16-2020, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks....I assume the rotor diameter should be as larger as "reasonable" given spindle, caliper mounts and wheel selection...current thinking 11"
Old 09-16-2020, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think you can go to a 12.88 +/- in the front and then a 11 or 12 in the rear. These will fit under 15" wheels. I ran this configuration on two Superformance cars with both sized wheels. The configuration was standard on the Superformance cars.

Iron rotors are just fine but finding the correct ones will take some searching depending on the other pieces you are using.

Jim
Old 09-16-2020, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I have a Mustang II front end and Ford 9" rear end. Here's what I used:
  • Front: Wilwood Dynalite 4 piston. Mine are black calipers and red are available as well. Current lowest cost offering uses grey anodized calipers: https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...emno=140-14271
  • Rear: MBM DBK9- Universal Ford 9" Rear-End Universal Disc Brake Kit. These use GM single piston calipers with integral parking brakes, simplifying the setup as well as being relatively low cost. MBM doesn't offer this for 8.8" rear axles, but I believe the Right Stuff ZDCRD03 kit is comparable and will work for 8.8" axle housings. https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/zdcrd03
  • Adjustable proportioning valve. Many available.

All of these are widely available online and through local speed shops.

I don't know about 'correct', but I know the Wilwood front brakes get lots of appreciation from those attending show and shines. GM calipers are kind of 'meh' - but they do the job, especially when the fronts do most of the heavy lifting. I don't think they'll negatively impact resale, but if that's a concern you could go Wilwood in back as well - albeit at a much higher price point.

Hint: Get speed bleeders / quick bleeders while you're buying brakes and put them in with the installation. One pair for each front brake (upper pair of bleed screws) and one pair for the rear axle. They're worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:25 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

Interested to hear what you all are running for master cylinder bore sizes front and rear relative to caliper piston sizes and pedal ratios.

Interested because I have had poor guidance in the past from two of the top brake suppliers in the past. Both calculated and quoted master cylinders that were too small for sufficient volume transfer to the calipers and firm enough pedal.

Cheers
Greg

Cheers
Greg
Old 09-16-2020, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure mine is going to translate very well, as it's an OEM style Ford dual master cylinder. Bore diameter is 15/16", I believe. It was originally a disc/drum configuration.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks. The actual detailed selection is down the road a good deal. I am still cutting reconfiguring and welding primary suspension. This project was a "home brew" thing, abandoned by at least two previous builders (not), not a kit or even a mfg is known. So worse (but more fun) than a blank canvas. I am working though the brake system configuration as I need to start working on the pedal box, steering column and motor location....to get the body tubs glassed into the body...a bit of a rubics cube at this point...
Old 09-17-2020, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Vander Wal View Post
I think you can go to a 12.88 +/- in the front and then a 11 or 12 in the rear. These will fit under 15" wheels.
Jim
Are you sure about the 12.88" size in the front? We use a similar 15" wheel in the front and our maximum is a 12.18" diameter rotor.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can't confirm. Car is long gone. Yes, my memory could be (is) fading.
Sorry if I've presented bad info.
But, I think I have a set of Superformance rotors hiding in the storage racks, I'll check and respond.
Jim
Old 09-20-2020, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gentlemen,

Need to retract earlier dimensions. Found a set of rear rotors from a Superformance, these are about 11" diameter, the factory fronts were about an inch larger, so NOT 12.88.

I apologize for bad info. I do know that the Wilwood Forged Dynalites were 4 piston front and back with 1-3/4" front pistons and 1-3/8" in the rear.

Jim
Old 09-21-2020, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

My only other observation...
I prefer the Wilwood Superlites over the Dynalites on the front. They have 20% larger pad area and considerably thicker pads for probably 4 times the life.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 65 Coupe, 351W
Not Ranked     

I am also doing a franken-car restoration. Wilwood has an amazing tech help desk. Just last week I contacted "James" at Wilwood. Completely impressed as to the amount of time he was willing to spend helping me fix the car for today and come up with a plan for the future of this car.

James not only got me going in the right direction, but he did a great job educating me on the "why"!!!

Old school. They will have my business for a long, long, time.