Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   To cover wood steering wheel or not? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/144224-cover-wood-steering-wheel-not.html)

Michael C Henry 11-13-2020 11:11 AM

To cover wood steering wheel or not?
 
My new wood steering wheel is really great looking but is really slim when compared to the old wheel with it's leather cover. I have older hands that do not wrap and grip as well as they did 20 years ago. Any responses?

FredG 11-13-2020 11:27 AM

Steering Wheel
 
Ten minutes into the first ride I had with my car was enough to convince me the skinny wooden wheel had to go. I don't care how original it looks. I went with a thicker wooden wheel with some leather covering towards the center. The wheel has a slightly smaller diameter. See picture. Much better and very comfortable. There are certainly plenty of options available. Look at Sparco to get some ideas.

Fred

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...mbs/dash20.jpg


Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael C Henry (Post 1485183)
My new wood steering wheel is really great looking but is really slim when compared to the old wheel with it's leather cover. I have older hands that do not wrap and grip as well as they did 20 years ago. Any responses?


kevins2 11-13-2020 01:19 PM

Although I don't have a problem with the skinny wooden wheel, I do have a pair of leather driving gloves and find that the grip is much better with them. If you want to try to keep the look of the wheel, you might try that first. Ventilated driving gloves can be worn in warm weather, so it might just work for you.

Kevin

patrickt 11-13-2020 01:47 PM

I wouldn't dream of replacing my Moto-Lita. I love it. It's wonderful.:cool:

6TNCRZY 11-13-2020 02:09 PM

You could wrap it with tape and have the '60s race look :JEKYLHYDE

xb-60 11-13-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevins2 (Post 1485195)
Although I don't have a problem with the skinny wooden wheel, I do have a pair of leather driving gloves and find that the grip is much better with them. If you want to try to keep the look of the wheel, you might try that first. Ventilated driving gloves can be worn in warm weather, so it might just work for you.

Kevin

Kevin, I totally agree. I have always used leather gloves. Best, cheapest, easiest solution when using a thin rim steering wheel (or any other wheel), and you keep the great looks of a Moto-Lita!

Cheers,
Glen

1795 11-13-2020 03:58 PM

The wood wheel with leather gloves is probably the best option. Finding a good leather one is difficult, and potentially expensive if you have an original style hub. Had to remove my wooden wheel for racing and replace it with a leather one because wooden wheels are not allowed in vintage racing unless you have a pre-war vintage race car (pre-war being before WWI).

You might want to try the leather gloves first and see how that works.

patrickt 11-13-2020 04:03 PM

Or just coat your hands with super glue.:cool:

Bricklayer 11-13-2020 04:31 PM

You can get a very good ventilated pair on Amazon in Black or Brown for less than $30. I keep a pair in the Cobra and the Vette.

t walgamuth 11-13-2020 07:04 PM

There is a slight triangular section to many of the old wooden wheels. If you put your hand around the wheel you can catch it with your thumb in the groove. The thin leather gloves are very nice too and I drive a lot year round with them on.

timsullivan 11-13-2020 09:25 PM

I'd never cover mine
 
1 Attachment(s)
I love the look and feel of my wooden steering wheel!! And they look so damn nice back in the day! Nope, after 10 years of use I'm deeply attached to it and would never change it out.

Michael C Henry 11-13-2020 10:31 PM

This all started when I had a soft top made and mounted to my replica. I have replaced my right knee and hip. I have retired and gotten fat. Getting in and out is a joke to watch now. I have noticed in a lot of photos points I never appreciated before. Like where the steering comes through the dash Mine is lower than some I've seen. The distances between the back of the steering wheel and the cowl vary. My steering wheel is 1 3/4" from the cowl. And that is with a flat steering wheel. I'm intent of changing my steering wheel and it's splined hub out for an "IDIDIT" Quick Release Steering Hub. The hubs come in 3, 5, and 6 bolt patterns I'm going with the 6 bolt pattern 70mm PCD same as MOMO, SPARCO, ISOTTA,NRG, FOREVER SHARP, and my choice FLASH POWER. I did not need or want t6he steering wheel any closer to my belly. It's present location works. Most 6 bolt pattern steering wheels are dished a minimum of 1 3/4" to over 4 1/2" to get a flat steering wheel I chose a 9 bolt FLASH POWER 15" OD and a 1/2 thick converter from 9 to 5 and 6 bolt patterns. It's great looking but it's riveted wood grip is slimmer than the leather covered wheel I'm replacing. My wife likes the new wood and polished aluminum steering wheel. The hub being replaced is 1 1/2" tall, The IDIDIT hub is 2" tall. The flat 15"OD Flash Power 9 bolt steering wheel and 1/2" thick spacer-converter 9 to 6 bolt is another 1/2" . So I figure the new QRSH and steering wheel with it's 9 to 6 bolt pattern converter- spacer moves the new steering wheel, 1 inch closer to me. It is only as of lately I found that some Originals had telescoping steering column for "fat Americans"

Moritz55 11-14-2020 05:12 AM

Just like Kevins2 & 1795 says ... wear a nice pair of driving leather gloves... I keep a pair in my car. They are also handy when the steering wheel gets super hot on those blistering days.

FredG 11-14-2020 06:51 AM

Quick release wheel.
 
I know what you mean. I have 2 fake hips and a fake knee but don't have any extra weight. Getting in and out is a process I have mastered. A slightly smaller wheel helps. There are some threads on here showing the installation of quick release hubs. Installing one would allow you to keep the impractical original looking wheel. Here is a link to one. Good luck.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...ing-wheel.html


Fred


Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael C Henry (Post 1485225)
This all started when I had a soft top made and mounted to my replica. I have replaced my right knee and hip. I have retired and gotten fat. Getting in and out is a joke to watch now. I have noticed in a lot of photos points I never appreciated before. Like where the steering comes through the dash Mine is lower than some I've seen. The distances between the back of the steering wheel and the cowl vary. My steering wheel is 1 3/4" from the cowl. And that is with a flat steering wheel. I'm intent of changing my steering wheel and it's splined hub out for an "IDIDIT" Quick Release Steering Hub. The hubs come in 3, 5, and 6 bolt patterns I'm going with the 6 bolt pattern 70mm PCD same as MOMO, SPARCO, ISOTTA,NRG, FOREVER SHARP, and my choice FLASH POWER. I did not need or want t6he steering wheel any closer to my belly. It's present location works. Most 6 bolt pattern steering wheels are dished a minimum of 1 3/4" to over 4 1/2" to get a flat steering wheel I chose a 9 bolt FLASH POWER 15" OD and a 1/2 thick converter from 9 to 5 and 6 bolt patterns. It's great looking but it's riveted wood grip is slimmer than the leather covered wheel I'm replacing. My wife likes the new wood and polished aluminum steering wheel. The hub being replaced is 1 1/2" tall, The IDIDIT hub is 2" tall. The flat 15"OD Flash Power 9 bolt steering wheel and 1/2" thick spacer-converter 9 to 6 bolt is another 1/2" . So I figure the new QRSH and steering wheel with it's 9 to 6 bolt pattern converter- spacer moves the new steering wheel, 1 inch closer to me. It is only as of lately I found that some Originals had telescoping steering column for "fat Americans"


t walgamuth 11-14-2020 08:53 AM

Mine has an idit column with tilt.

I normally don't dig them too much but it is handy. The clearance around the driver at the wheel/cowl and for your left arm are tight and take time to get used to. Every fraction of an inch matters.

I did fit a smaller wheel for a while when autocrossing it but have gone back to the original with a spacer to give more room for my knuckles at the cowl.

The thin leather gloves are especially nice in hot or cold weather.

The net back beige gloves like Phil Hill used to run are perfect but costly. I still have at least one of them I bought in Europe in '73.

S1965C 11-14-2020 09:00 AM

Just buy some Fratelli Orsini driving gloves. About $80. Gives you all the grip you'll need, they feel wonderful on the hands, and also keep sweaty palms and fingerprints off the wood and aluminum surfaces. I never drive my Moto-Lita wheeled Cobra without them. If you're going to track or autocross a car, that's a different wheel and solution all together.

Danr55 11-14-2020 11:20 AM

Another vote for gloves. They work great for providing grip on the wood and they keep the hands warm when it's old out there.

Lou1119 11-14-2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danr55 (Post 1485249)
Another vote for gloves. They work great for providing grip on the wood and they keep the hands warm when it's old out there.

I originally bought red driving gloves as an accessory to put on the transmission tunnel for car shows. One day when it was a little chilly I put the gloves on . I could not believe how much better the grip was on the wood wheel. I am now a believer ����

JimH 11-14-2020 11:44 AM

I bought a partial leather kit for my wooden wheel, from a vendor on the Factory Five forum site. It gave me a thicker grip in those areas, along with using driving gloves. Just an idea for you, but unfortunately he no longer makes it.
https://i.imgur.com/WcJItv9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/y9l2I45.jpg

t walgamuth 11-14-2020 02:31 PM

Looks very nice!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: