• 1 Post By Jim Vander Wal
  • 2 Post By Sargie
  • 1 Post By vntgspd
  • 1 Post By indianamoon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2022, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2045, FFR 4068 Coupe sold, FFR 1816 roadster sold, FFR 3218 Roadster sold
Not Ranked     
Default Detailing & Driving

Curious how much detailing guys here do on their Cobras? I’ve seen everything from show polished panels and chrome to cars that are filthy.

Bought my car as a driver. The car is washed buffed and sealed generally kept clean. Things like aluminum panels are washed and wiped clean including exposed engine & cockpit interior panels. (ERA FIA race build replica) with spots and dull finish from 20+ years of life & use. There’s rash on the rear fenders (no spats on the car). I like that it looks used.

I’m not going to “show” the car or planning to sell. Really just enjoy driving the car. I’m not a clean fanatic Wondering where my car and thinking fit with others.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2022, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

I drove 'em. Made sure that the mechanicals were good, tuned up and ready to rock. Drove cross country multiple times, through every type of weather, dirt roads and a fair amount of off-track agricultural work.

Anyone that wanted to tell me that it should be clean, polished and waxed was welcome to do so.

Jim
SPO 1855 & 2584, FFR 8885
Sargie and Harpoon PV2 like this.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Drive them. Quick detail after a drive and cooled down. Maybe a quick wipe down before I head out on the next drive. Maybe when parked for the winter a more detailed cleaning. I use the word maybe alot. I have the car to drive and enjoy. Not to spend all the time cleaning. As the saying goes. Time to blow the dust off. Enjoy your new car. It's going to be a blast.
Sargie likes this.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

I have many cars, trucks and motorcycles. I try to keep them all as a ten or fifteen foot cars.

My Cobra has "Gorilla Glue Duct Tape" spats. She's always the ugly duckling in a group of trailer queens.

She's supposedly done 8 "Pikes Peak Challenges".
Sargie likes this.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:20 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

In 1968 (13YO) I was allowed to spend the weekend around the Penske/Donohue Z-28 Trans-Am car @ Pacific Raceways. I was amazed how they kept the car so clean, I asked Mark why?? He said a 'A Clean race car is always faster than a dirty one' That mindset stayed with me my whole life, when my car came in off the track it was always wiped down, (bugs, rubber marks, brake dust, and easy to find issues. Leaks, etc.) before the next session. A good friend (non-car person) asked if that makes you feel good that others think you a have a well-kept car, I said I do it for myself (My Ego) not for anyone else, if they like it that's cool too, but never tried to impress the masses. Once a car is cleaned it EZ to keep it that way, At least I've found, Cheers Tom.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

TommyRot (Alfa02) has himself a real trailer queen now. A very well built Pacific Roadster that is pretty much drop dead gorgeous. But then it's easy to keep that way since he lives in a rain forest and/or he can't get the car to start.
I'm also a firm believer in thinking a car is made to be driven (screwed to the wall...and often)
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

I should clarify. It's not that I didn't wash and wax on occasion, but I didn't fret the dirt. I also kept a collection of black and red Sharpies for paint repair.

The one time I really spent time washing 2584 was when i was planning to sell it. This was just before LCS one year. Didn't drive it there because it was supposed to rain, it did, big surprise, but I lost out on a last event.

Never pass on driving because of what the weather might do. You'll dry, the car will dry, get out and rock.

Jim
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2045, FFR 4068 Coupe sold, FFR 1816 roadster sold, FFR 3218 Roadster sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
In 1968 (13YO) I was allowed to spend the weekend around the Penske/Donohue Z-28 Trans-Am car @ Pacific Raceways. I was amazed how they kept the car so clean, I asked Mark why?? He said a 'A Clean race car is always faster than a dirty one' That mindset stayed with me my whole life, when my car came in off the track it was always wiped down, (bugs, rubber marks, brake dust, and easy to find issues. Leaks, etc.) before the next session. A good friend (non-car person) asked if that makes you feel good that others think you a have a well-kept car, I said I do it for myself (My Ego) not for anyone else, if they like it that's cool too, but never tried to impress the masses. Once a car is cleaned it EZ to keep it that way, At least I've found, Cheers Tom.
Having raced for nearly 40 years we understood the need to keep the equipment clean. Easier to see issues leaks, etc not mention nobody likes working on a grimy pig. I do keep the roadster clean just not about keeping it showroom condition.
Alfa02 and Harpoon PV2 like this.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

Yep, agree with the masses here so far! I do clean the car regularly but drive it whenever/wherever as often as possible!

Most fun I have had so far was Monterey Car week driving up through rain, fog, dirt, and a couple of track laps. I daily drove the car to work last week and ended up with plenty of dust, dirty rockers, and brake dust. Looks great, but will definitely get a bath this week!
Sargie likes this.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B 289
Not Ranked     

When I bought mine it was a tossup between a pristine car with very spirited mega horses and a well used, patina laden one with a more manageable amount of power. The first was the less expensive by a couple $k but I decided on the other. After years I think it was the correct choice and I continue to add to the patina.
Sargie likes this.