Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   New Member- about to pull the trigger- is this a fair deal? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/144396-new-member-about-pull-trigger-fair-deal.html)

Lawineer 01-15-2021 04:19 PM

New Member- about to pull the trigger- is this a fair deal?

Hi everyone,
I'm about to have my (new to me) 2018 mgf date Backdraft Cobra with the Coyote shipped to me! I'm super excited. I was looking for a "basics of maintenance and things to do" but there doesn't seem to be much. Is there anything I should really know?

Long story involving a trade, but I'm paying about $77,000 for it. Wondering if this is a pretty decent deal or not. The car is absolutely immaculate, clean, perfect paint, etc.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to having some fun with it. After 7 years with 4 Corvettes, I decided to try something new before getting a C8 Z06 (on the list at the dealership). I just can't do my 4th Corvette before 40 :LOL: I have a dedicated race/track car, so no need for the second car to serve dual duty.

Thanks!

(Also, if this is in the wrong section, sorry!)

edit: also, can I buy a hard top anywhere?

hauss 01-15-2021 05:23 PM

I have a 2013 with a 427 stroker and your price is a little more than I paid but pretty close. your car is newer so I would say you are in the ball park. As far as taking care of your car I would suggest you find some way to get under it and keep a eye on things oil leaks loose fittings fuel leaks keep close eye on rear axle flange bolts near the pumpkin. Not hard to do once you get in the habit while you are down their you can also clean helps keep the car looking new. Good luck.

Lawineer 01-16-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauss (Post 1487712)
I have a 2013 with a 427 stroker and your price is a little more than I paid but pretty close. your car is newer so I would say you are in the ball park. As far as taking care of your car I would suggest you find some way to get under it and keep a eye on things oil leaks loose fittings fuel leaks keep close eye on rear axle flange bolts near the pumpkin. Not hard to do once you get in the habit while you are down their you can also clean helps keep the car looking new. Good luck.

Thanks!
Helps a lot. These things vary so much in price.

Going to be so hard getting rid of the corvette, but it’s time for something different. I was actually contemplating keeping both but I have a 2 car garage downtown and this would make 4 cars including live in girlfriends car.

https://i.imgur.com/RgkSJnN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vfdMLyN.jpgs

1795 01-16-2021 11:07 AM

Is your garage the parking area that you have pictured with the Corvette, or do you have an actual garage where you store tools and can perform maintenance? You cannot take these cars to the dealer for maintenance. If you have an area and set of tools to perform routine maintenance, and some basic mechanical skills you should be fine. If you know of a good mechanic that is familiar with these cars, then that will do as well. A lot of places are not going to know what to check or how to perform maintenance or repairs on these cars.

Make sure that area is covered before pulling the plug on a purchase.

Lawineer 01-16-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1795 (Post 1487735)
Is your garage the parking area that you have pictured with the Corvette, or do you have an actual garage where you store tools and can perform maintenance? You cannot take these cars to the dealer for maintenance. If you have an area and set of tools to perform routine maintenance, and some basic mechanical skills you should be fine. If you know of a good mechanic that is familiar with these cars, then that will do as well. A lot of places are not going to know what to check or how to perform maintenance or repairs on these cars.

Make sure that area is covered before pulling the plug on a purchase.

That was just a "photoshoot." I have a two car garage with tools. Not that the C7 had a lot of prep to be done, but I did my own track prep. Pads, fluid changes, lowered it, installing splitters and cooling ducts, etc. No lift or anything. I may invest in quickjacks now that I have this car.

mrmustang 01-16-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawineer (Post 1487709)
Hi everyone,
I'm about to have my (new to me) 2018 mgf date Backdraft Cobra with the Coyote shipped to me! I'm super excited. I was looking for a "basics of maintenance and things to do" but there doesn't seem to be much. Is there anything I should really know?

Long story involving a trade, but I'm paying about $77,000 for it. Wondering if this is a pretty decent deal or not. The car is absolutely immaculate, clean, perfect paint, etc.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to having some fun with it. After 7 years with 4 Corvettes, I decided to try something new before getting a C8 Z06 (on the list at the dealership). I just can't do my 4th Corvette before 40 :LOL: I have a dedicated race/track car, so no need for the second car to serve dual duty.

Thanks!

(Also, if this is in the wrong section, sorry!)

edit: also, can I buy a hard top anywhere?

Seems a little pricey for a used BDR, sorry, but as long as you are happy with the transaction, that is all that matters, after all, it's your money, not ours. Without the financial aspect in play, a word of advice, it is not as civilized as your previous automotive experiences, take the learning curve S-L-O-W-L-Y and remember, as soon as you turn the key, it will try to kill you. Keep repeating that in the back of your head for the first thousand miles of learning curve and you'll be fine. Most of all, don't let anyone wipe the smile off your face, and enjoy the ride.

Bill S.

1795 01-16-2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawineer (Post 1487739)
That was just a "photoshoot." I have a two car garage with tools. Not that the C7 had a lot of prep to be done, but I did my own track prep. Pads, fluid changes, lowered it, installing splitters and cooling ducts, etc. No lift or anything. I may invest in quickjacks now that I have this car.

A low profile jack, which you might already have, will be helpful and either some form of jacking equipment or a good set of jack stands. You need to check the nuts and bolts on occasion. I would suggest going through everything before taking it out for any spirited driving. Don't trust anything that you have not personally inspected. Good luck and as stated by others, go slow they handle differently than modern cars, there is no traction control or antilock brakes.

Lawineer 01-16-2021 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1487740)
Seems a little pricey for a used BDR, sorry, but as long as you are happy with the transaction, that is all that matters, after all, it's your money, not ours. Without the financial aspect in play, a word of advice, it is not as civilized as your previous automotive experiences, take the learning curve S-L-O-W-L-Y and remember, as soon as you turn the key, it will try to kill you. Keep repeating that in the back of your head for the first thousand miles of learning curve and you'll be fine. Most of all, don't let anyone wipe the smile off your face, and enjoy the ride.

Bill S.

Thanks- how pricey do you think it is, keeping in mind the Coyote engine? I still have time to backout if it's awful. If it's a few grand- it's hard to find exactly what I want (color scheme I like, engine I want, etc). I dont want to be $10k-15k overpaying though.

I've never driven a car this light and powerful, "naked" but I have a ton of seat time in my Corvette in "race" mode (basically zero TC, ABS), my BRZ and Miata at the race track, both of which are full blown track cars (BRZ is actually a full blow race car- not even track). They have zero nannies. It's not even the power that concerns me; it's the street. On the track I'm always driving with undivided attention, 100% focus and expecting a slip. On the street, sh!t just happens. I've been driving at 40% throttle, "aggressively" getting ready to merge on to a highway from the service road when the back end kicked out in the vette for absolutely zero reason. Without SC, I'd have crashed, violently. Another time someone cut in front of me while I was doing about 45-50 in a 30 zone. Hit the brakes it was bumpy as hell. Car pulled left/right all over. Unless you had lightning quick reflexes and 4 brake pedals and 4 feet, nothing but 4 wheel independent ABS and SC was going to save you.

It's why I laugh at people who pound their chest and turn off their nannies on the street.

Believe me, it took me a year to buy this car solely because of the fear of death. That and I was worried my fear of the car would keep me from enjoying it.

edit: Are there any ABS or TC/SC upgrades? I'd consider them. Also, what is the widest wheel/tire I can get in there? Safety/grip aside, I love the look of wider tires.

hauss 01-16-2021 03:40 PM

Ok. since you are bringing it up the only thing {I do not like } not a old school 427 you are missing the point in my opinion not getting the full experience but that's just me others will feel different. I like the coyote just not in a cobra. That is why I have a 427 stroker. I like big power right now kick you in the face not a lot of yelling and screaming and tell me what you are going to do. Get the stroker big power old school carb remember this is a cobra not a vette. Kind of like a harley in the motorcycle world. remember you asked and this is just my opinion if all else fails.

Lawineer 01-16-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauss (Post 1487747)
Ok. since you are bringing it up the only thing {I do not like } not a old school 427 you are missing the point in my opinion not getting the full experience but that's just me others will feel different. I like the coyote just not in a cobra. That is why I have a 427 stroker. I like big power right now kick you in the face not a lot of yelling and screaming and tell me what you are going to do. Get the stroker big power old school carb remember this is a cobra not a vette. Kind of like a harley in the motorcycle world. remember you asked and this is just my opinion if all else fails.

I went back and forth. Coyote seems sacrilegious- I get it. I thought about it. I watched videos of each and it took a while. I 100% understand the 427 draw.

I also decided I dont ever want to jack with carbs again. It's just not something I have experience with or care to mess with. I guess I could have gone FI 427 :shrug: I just wanted this engine. I dont know why- it doesn't make sense. Then again, neither does this car.

Truth be told, I'd rather an LS7 or LT4 in it.

patrickt 01-16-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawineer (Post 1487745)
Thanks- how pricey do you think it is, keeping in mind the Coyote engine? I still have time to backout if it's awful. If it's a few grand- it's hard to find exactly what I want (color scheme I like, engine I want, etc).

If the car is the one that appeals to you, then it's not overpriced... for you. To get a new custom made turnkey car made to your personal specifications at KMS/ERA/SPF/CSX it's going to cost you six figures. If two weeks (and two years) later you decide it was a mistake, you will sell it for less than you paid. That's just the way chips fall. So, my advice is if you like it buy it. If you don't, then sell it. And if the chance of dropping ten or twenty grand gives you a heart attack, then just look at it like you're spending a couple of weeks in the Caribbean with the family. When you fly back home the money will be gone and after a while you'll barely even remember the trip.:cool:

Lawineer 01-16-2021 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1487749)
If the car is the one that appeals to you, then it's not overpriced... for you. To get a new custom made turnkey car made to your personal specifications at KMS/ERA/SPF/CSX it's going to cost you six figures. If two weeks (and two years) later you decide it was a mistake, you will sell it for less than you paid. That's just the way chips fall. So, my advice is if you like it buy it. If you don't, then sell it. And if the chance of dropping ten or twenty grand gives you a heart attack, then just look at it like you're spending a couple of weeks in the Caribbean with the family. When you fly back home the money will be gone and after a while you'll barely even remember the trip.:cool:

This isn't my 401k money, but I also just want to know how I did with FMV. My plan is to keep this car 3 years and sell it to get a C8ZR1. I'm going to enjoy it, but one reason I am getting it is that it will (hopefully) hold value better than buying a late model $70k car.

Also: I'm single with no kids so $20k vacation better be something else!

patrickt 01-16-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawineer (Post 1487750)
This isn't my 401k money, but I also just want to know how I did with FMV. My plan is to keep this car 3 years and sell it to get a C8ZR1. I'm going to enjoy it, but one reason I am getting it is that it will (hopefully) hold value better than buying a late model $70k car.

Also: I'm single with no kids so $20k vacation better be something else!

You should assume that you will always lose money buying and selling these cars. Now, if you're of a certain ilk, it will be the greatest toy you have ever owned and, if you're lucky, you'll make a nickel or two if you do sell her. But you should assume you won't. For me, my ERA has been more fun than you could possibly imagine, and I've had her now for fifteen years. I wouldn't even dream of selling her.:cool:

Lawineer 01-16-2021 04:12 PM

Lol, so no one is going to tell me roughly how much I'm overpaying by? If I'm getting taken to the cleaners here, I still haven't signed the paperwork. Is this i a $66k car fair market value?

I get I can lose money and it's not FDIC insured. If I wanted to ensure I'd have 77k in 3 years, I'd put it in my savings account (which, based on current interest rates, will definitely ensure it will be $77k :lol: )

patrickt 01-16-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawineer (Post 1487752)
Lol, so no one is going to tell me roughly how much I'm overpaying by?

You might not be overpaying at all, and you are definitely not being taken to the cleaners. I would not sell you my car for $200k, but Mr. Mustang (who has bought and sold dozens of Cobras) might not even offer to buy my car for $75k. So how much is my car worth?:cool:

twobjshelbys 01-16-2021 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1487740)
Seems a little pricey for a used BDR, sorry, but as long as you are happy with the transaction, that is all that matters, after all, it's your money, not ours.

Glad someone piped in on that... My sentiments exactly.

I will say that Coyote Cobras will tend to be harder to sell and be priced lower than the same car with a period correct power train.

Do your own market analysis by looking at the prices on www.cobracountry.com. Things there tend to sell for pretty close to asking price (within 10% or less, but not 1/2). Also look at Bring A Trailer but I don't think they have may BDR comps.

One place to start is to configure and build a new one with the same specs. You shouldn't pay more than that for a used one.

patrickt 01-16-2021 04:27 PM

... and I wouldn't sell you my dog for any price.:cool:

spdbrake 01-16-2021 04:30 PM

Definitely need to see the car and options to make any kind of guess.

A 2021 basic BDR roller starts at $47k, Coyote Gen 3 crate $9k, trans $3k, Harness, $1.8k,accessories $1k, $2k fudge factor. and your at $69.8K without tax and shipping.
Keep in mind that price is you doing all the wrenching. Add at least $4-6k to hang a motor and get it running. James Yale at Radical Roadsters just outside Houston is a dealer and and can square you away. I'd at least give him a chance to quote you.

My ruthers would be to buy an 2021 RT4 since it has a better rear end and other improvements.

twobjshelbys 01-16-2021 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawineer (Post 1487745)

edit: Are there any ABS or TC/SC upgrades? I'd consider them. Also, what is the widest wheel/tire I can get in there? Safety/grip aside, I love the look of wider tires.

People have done them, but they are very pricey - way more than is logical for the vehicle. For sure a new ECU (unless the one there has those pieces latent). Then there is the issue of finding a place to put all the bits that make such a system work.

As I say to people that take a Cobra and try to modernize it: You're describing a Corvette. Just get one (but you already have one.) Drive a Cobra for the thrill that, as it said to me every time I got in it, "I'm going to kill you" and when you get home and park it thank goodness you won that day.

Tire sizes are driven by wheel choices and have been discussed here at length. I suggest you use the SEARCH function.

Lawineer 01-16-2021 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1487757)
Glad someone piped in on that... My sentiments exactly.

I will say that Coyote Cobras will tend to be harder to sell and be priced lower than the same car with a period correct power train.

Do your own market analysis by looking at the prices on www.cobracountry.com. Things there tend to sell for pretty close to asking price (within 10% or less, but not 1/2). Also look at Bring A Trailer but I don't think they have may BDR comps.

Thanks, that's helpful.

It seems like $77k is a touch high- 72k is more in order based on that site. But I like this color combo and some other stuff. Plus it was repainted with an amazing paint job.

Here's the ebay link (I'm not buying it on ebay). And it probably works out to about $75k- probably overvalued my trade a hair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Shelby...-/274623506355