Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Banging noise when getting off acceleration (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/144401-banging-noise-when-getting-off-acceleration.html)

Voipman 01-17-2021 10:27 AM

Banging noise when getting off acceleration

I have a Superformance Cobra with 351W and Tremec 5 speed. When I accelerate a little hard and then lift off the accelerator I get a huge banging/knocking from what sounds to be right behind me. I have check every bolt even removed the sway bar which made the problem worse. If I drive in a normal stuck in traffic manner it does not do it. Hoping someone else has had this issue with an SP before. Any suggestions appreciated? Also looking for troubleshooting methods.

mrmustang 01-17-2021 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voipman (Post 1487788)
I have a Superformance Cobra with 351W and Tremec 5 speed. When I accelerate a little hard and then lift off the accelerator I get a huge banging/knocking from what sounds to be right behind me. I have check every bolt even removed the sway bar which made the problem worse. If I drive in a normal stuck in traffic manner it does not do it. Hoping someone else has had this issue with an SP before. Any suggestions appreciated? Also looking for troubleshooting methods.

Have you checked your rear shock mounts?
Early cars had known issues with the upper shock mounts.
Also check your rear differential mounts.

Bill S.

saltshaker 01-17-2021 10:39 AM

Noise

I would check your u joint bolts and play in the u joint....
Jon

Mark IV 01-17-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1487789)
Have you checked your rear shock mounts?
Early cars had known issues with the upper shock mounts.
Also check your rear differential mounts.

Bill S.

Def look at the diff mounts, some early cars have had the brackets tear out of the frame. The bolts can be tight but what they attach to isn't!

Blas 01-18-2021 06:24 AM

I can send you the service bulletin on the shock mounts. Send me an email.
Blas

mrmustang 01-18-2021 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blas (Post 1487816)
I can send you the service bulletin on the shock mounts. Send me an email.
Blas

Blas,

He can CLICK HERE as well, as the original 2008 bulletin is still available.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Bill S.

Dwight 01-18-2021 07:47 PM

Voipman welcome to the forum

Dwight

jhv48 01-19-2021 08:02 AM

I had the same banging noise when I’m hard on the accelerator.
Turns out it was my wife’s foot hammering on her imaginary brake pedal.

Voipman 01-19-2021 10:59 AM

My email is tullyc@is-talk.com

Thanks

incoming 01-19-2021 03:08 PM

As bad as the roads have gotten in The Ham, there's no telling what could be broken.

Different question,, Have you ever driven through Bankhead Forest?

Buzz 01-19-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltshaker (Post 1487790)
I would check your u joint bolts and play in the u joint....
Jon

This ^^ in addition to the other advice given above. I had a similar issue a while back and I found that the bolts in my driveshaft to differential flange were alarmingly loose.

Buzz 01-19-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhv48 (Post 1487845)
i had the same banging noise when i’m hard on the accelerator.

:lol::lol:

Peter Sitkowski 01-19-2021 06:49 PM

Diff mounting bolt

I had the support bolt behind the diff break at the threads.

scootter 01-19-2021 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Sitkowski (Post 1487883)
I had this bolt behind the diff break at the threads. I hope this helps.

I had the same issue. I bought a bolt that had the threads that past the bracket, then added a washer and lock washer. Never an issue again.

Blas 01-20-2021 05:49 PM

Rear axle nuts?
Can you be more specific on the noise and what conditions cause it? Hard acceleration, chugging at low speed, hard shift?
Blas

MKS427 01-21-2021 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhv48 (Post 1487845)
I had the same banging noise when I’m hard on the accelerator.

I have the same problem. I found, if I don't let off the throttle a don't hear it, but I can still see the gestures. LOL

AC Ventura 01-26-2021 10:38 AM

Have you checked the driveshaft bolts, or the UJ's?

Get it on a ramp, rotate the driveshaft with a screwdriver one way then the other. Something is obviously loose or broken.

Dwight 01-28-2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

As bad as the roads have gotten in The Ham, there's no telling what could be broken.

Different question,, Have you ever driven through Bankhead Forest?
incoming are you located in Alabama?

speedricko79 02-05-2021 07:09 PM

I would check the pinion angle, it could be binding on deceleration, I have seen this many times.

Voipman 02-13-2021 02:39 PM

Found Problem and i is a doozie

I found the problem. The cross member the front of the differential bolts to has cracked! I tried to post a picture but could not figure out how. My image is too big. Thanks for everyone's input. I did check the shock mounts and they are good. Wish that had been the problem much easier fix. :LOL: