• 1 Post By NROTOXIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2018, 08:30 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Transferring a Title to Illinois

Hello.
There is a Cobra replica on Bring a Trailer that I am considering bidding on. It has a current Arizona title listing it as a 1964 Cobra. Does anyone know if I can expect problems titling and registering this car in Illinois?
Thank you.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

I purchased in FL, and did not have an issue with title or registration three years ago.

It was amusing, the SoS office could care less what I called it or why.
Although, I didn't work Backdraft in to the reg, it works for me.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 347, 462 hp, 4 barrel
Not Ranked     

No problem but I did it 10 years ago. 1965 Shelby Cobra. Actually a FFR.

Where are you located??

Lee in Rockford.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2001 B&B cobra
Not Ranked     

I bought a cobra, 1966 B&B car last summer, I registered it in Illinois with no problems. Hope you get it!
Old 01-17-2018, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I cannot answer your question about registration, it looks like others have, but I can tell you that the current owner put a lot of work into that car and I would not hesitate to buy it if I did not already have one. The current owner has a lot of knowledge and skill. Good luck.
moore_rb and Alfa02 like this.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
I can tell you that the current owner put a lot of work into that car and I would not hesitate to buy it if I did not already have one. The current owner has a lot of knowledge and skill. Good luck.
You're a nice guy, Jim- I appreciate that comment.

AndyL2- Welcome to ClubCobra- Glad you found your way here. You can learn more about my car (and Cobras in general) here than you ever will in the Bringatrailer comments

I encourage you to do a search on Unique Motorcars- You will find not a single negative comment about the build quality, or the engineering in these cars. The most negative thing you might read are opinions from some folks who prefer the body proportions of the ERA cars more than the Unique cars, but beneath the fiberglass, these two brands are as highly regarded as any (and every) other Cobra replica company.

You can also read my posts, and hopefully you will see that I am trying to represent this car as accurately as I can. You will also learn that I can be very verbose, and a serious smart-ass at times (but it's always meant to be fun ) But one thing you will definitely learn about me is that I'm a car guy, and a hard driver, clean through to my bones. I love them all, and I'm actually pretty melancholy about letting this one go- I love it, and if current circumstances didn't require me to make this decision, it wouldn't be listed on BAT right now....

Lee (LRRCobradreamer, who posted above) has seen my car in person (he was parked right next to it at Chandler Harley Davidson 2 weeks ago, in fact ), and he does double-time in his Cobra, running back and forth between Illinois and Arizona. He is a genuinely nice guy (and a skilled racer, to boot)

If you decide to bid on the car, then good luck to you (and to me as well, haha)
Old 01-19-2018, 07:04 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Transferring a Title to Illinois

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I would not expect any problems but with the DMV and the (Illinois) EPA one never knows. When I bought a Triumph Spitfire out of Wisconsin a few years ago all I had to do was have my local police department verify that the VIN on the title and car matched and that the brake lights, blinkers, horn and wipers worked. Robert, the wipers work, right?
Lee, I am in Mundelein.
Robert, it looks to be a beautiful car and I'm watching BaT to see if the bidding gets beyond me.
P.S. I'm the one on BaT whose wife thinks it needs snow tires.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Hi Andy-

Everything works on the car- wipers, hazard lights, parking brake, turn signals, horn- It's all good...

I enjoyed your comment about driving it home to Chicago - I have no doubts the car would make the trip, but I would offer no guarantees about your own personal frostbite, hahaha

Regarding the bid- right now the bid hasn't even passed what it would cost to purchase an empty-kit directly from Unique.

If that situation doesn't change by Monday afternoon, then this car might not be going anywhere....

Last edited by moore_rb; 01-19-2018 at 08:13 AM..
Old 02-18-2021, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VMS #2273
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Goat View Post
I purchased in FL, and did not have an issue with title or registration three years ago.

It was amusing, the SoS office could care less what I called it or why.
Although, I didn't work Backdraft in to the reg, it works for me.
Hi Ozzie,

Did you deal with your local DMV or did you go straight to SoS office (Springfield, IL)? I'll be registering in IL so I wanted to ask someone who went through the process for IL.

Thanks,
Steven
Old 02-18-2021, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Mine came from Indiana to Illinois. Easy as pie, go to currency exchange, pay the taxes, no problem.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 02-19-2021, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1314, 351W
Not Ranked     

Andy,

Mine came from New Hampshire, registered at DMV in Woodstock.

Don’t forget you can get Antique Plates registered as a 1964 and can display YOM plates from any state in IL as long as you have the Antique Plates in the car.

Hal
Old 02-19-2021, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Did you get it Andy?
Old 02-19-2021, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

You would have thought that after 37 months since Andy posted this that he would have posted by now had he purchased a car. Maybe he changed his name to Claude Rains.
beaufort cobra likes this.