• 1 Post By xlr8or

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2021, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Need help with California registration of new Backdraft Cobra

Hello everyone. I have been trying to purchase a new Backdraft Cobra but have been running into roadblocks. The two California BDR dealers have told me there are issues getting a new BDR registered in California. Has anyone registered a new BDR recently? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Did you try to search the forum? There are dozens of topics on this subject. Search for "California registration" and "SB100"

It helps to know where you are located as there are some DMV locations that are lots easier to work with.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 03-26-2021 at 09:01 AM..
Old 03-26-2021, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Did you try to search the forum? There are dozens of topics on this subject. Search for "California registration" and "SB100"

It helps to know where you are located as there are some DMV locations that are lots easier to work with.
Its OK to ask the question here, the search function sometimes is a PITA...TONY
Old 03-26-2021, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake-Lights View Post
Hello everyone. I have been trying to purchase a new Backdraft Cobra but have been running into roadblocks. The two California BDR dealers have told me there are issues getting a new BDR registered in California. Has anyone registered a new BDR recently? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
Is the car a "turn key" built by BDR? or a roller? a turnkey car may be a problem...a roller can be registered via SB100
Old 03-26-2021, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

Back in 2012, three of us who had completely built Backdrafts from VMS in CT went through a prolonged registration process. There were two factors. The primary one was a BDR customer who was denied registration of his car because he said 'yes' when he was asked if his car was a turnkey build. The other was a new and/or misinformed manager in the Sacramento DMV. The resolution of our impass was achieved by the hiring of a car registration professional who was able to convince the manager that barring our cars from registration was counter to years of prior car registrations with the same construction history. I understand that the customer who was denied registration because of the turnkey designation wound up selling the car back and then purchasing another one which he successfully registered as not turnkey.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post

Yes, I did try that. I found some older posts, some very informative from 2016. The info I was given just a month ago from the two California BDR dealers was the reason I was searching for recent experiences from other members.

I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area, east bay area near Brentwood.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
Is the car a "turn key" built by BDR? or a roller? a turnkey car may be a problem...a roller can be registered via SB100
It would be a rolling chassis purchase. I would order the rolling chassis, engine, transmission all separately and then complete the install. I've just been told by the two BDR dealers in California that there are still registration issues with BDR. So I was hoping to get some helpful info from any members that are recent Backdraft owners from their DMV experience.

Thanks for all and any info
Old 03-26-2021, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake-Lights View Post
...I've just been told by the two BDR dealers in California that there are still registration issues with BDR.

As long as the two dealers in California know that there are issues with BDr's and registration, if I were you, I would go to the guys who know there are issues and ask them what the issues are — probably the short way home.

Ed
Kobura likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley w/BluePrint 408
Not Ranked     

Just my 2 cents....

But when I registered my Shell Valley in January, the BAR referee had an issue with me getting the roller chassis and engine/transmission from the same company. He said that doing so made the car “turn key”. I had to explain to him and then prove with photos that I installed the engine myself and that it didn’t come already installed. Apparently that is the catch that is causing grief with buyers such as yourself.

I can see the issue that DMV is talking about, but I believe it is a silly rule. If you can buy a new Ford, Chevy or Dodge off a car lot (and they are turn key) then why can’t you buy a complete ready to drive Cobra the same way. As long as all the safety equipment is in place and smog requirements met, complete with proper certification.....what is the issue. DMV still gets their fees........

If all else fails, purchase the components separately, take the photos, put them together and reg the car.

Like I said, just my 2 cents.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2019 Backdraft RT4 w/Coyote and Tremec 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft registration

HI Snake-Lights. I bought Backdraft # 1946 in Dec. 2019 through BAM rides in Del Mar, CA. The car was complete & running with a Ford Performance Gen II Coyote, Tremec TKO 5 speed and was a brand new build. Tiffany Bentel is the co-owner of BAM Rides, and she advised that the licensing process is long and complicated in SoCal, and for a reasonable $ 500 she would do the several DMV visits to get the car registered. She was right, and the only step that I had to do myself was drive the car to the DMV Referee in Palm Desert, CA an hour away and have him do the inspection. Once he saw the PCV system on the engine, he approved the inspection, applied the SB-100 Smog Exempt sticker to the firewall, and sent me on my way. I have a Title, Registration, current plates & tags, and the car is exempt from any future smog inspections. Check with www.bamrides.com and check with Tiffany. Good Luck, Mark
Old 03-30-2021, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by John248 View Post
Just my 2 cents....

I can see the issue that DMV is talking about, but I believe it is a silly rule. If you can buy a new Ford, Chevy or Dodge off a car lot (and they are turn key) then why can’t you buy a complete ready to drive Cobra the same way. As long as all the safety equipment is in place and smog requirements met, complete with proper certification.....what is the issue. DMV still gets their fees........

If all else fails, purchase the components separately, take the photos, put them together and reg the car.

Like I said, just my 2 cents.
apples and oranges. Any "new" vehicle has to pass current year requirements for lighting, safety, smog, airbags etc. SB100 is specifically to provide an exception for custom/home built vehicles that replicate a vintage car and are only held to that model year standards.
CJ428CJ likes this.