LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2021, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Keeping her cool

Hey all,

I have Superformance cobra, bondurnant edition, 427FE.... just had engine completely rebuilt a few years ago by an FE builder. After getting it back engine was running hot, thought it might be break in period but finally found radiator had huge blockage. Installed new radiator. In the process of diagnosing the “hot” temps, I took out the thermostat. Wondering do I need to/ or should I put it back in? She still loves to run hot, especially anytime it’s over 85 degrees here (live on Florida). Wondering should I just leave thermostat out or put it back in to help regulated water temp?
Old 03-03-2021, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

The thermostat sets the minimum operating temperature, while the cooling system capacity sets the maximum. Leaving the thermostat out means your engine could run too cool - contributing to increased engine wear (yes, there's research to support that) and, arguably, oil never getting hot enough to drive moisture out.

If you're at all concerned, get a high flow thermostat. That's what I have - 180°F.
joyridin' and Riverside racer like this.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

The old original FE has a Large diameter thermostat but it has a small valve, I found a Chrysler product thermostat that had the large diameter thermostat with a large valve. They make all sorts of thermostats that will ,if when they go bad will, be open position and so on. How is the temps front to back? The head gaskets have a passage for coolant from head to block. The passage goes to the rear and the front is blocked The coolant goes in the front of the block where the coolant pump is mounted then flows to the rear around the cylinders . at the rear of the block it flows up through the heads then flowing through the heads forward. then the manifold cross over to the thermostat. If you get the head gaskets mounted wrong that doesn't work. Make sure the thermostat by pass hose between the top of the coolant pump and the manifold is open. I have seen that short hose being blocked by an internal blister.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

You need either a thermostat, or a restriction plate. If you leave those out, the water moves too quickly through the system and doesn't transfer heat. The water temperature will look good, but the heads will overheat. And that's a bad thing.

If your fuel mixture is too lean, or the timing is incorrect, it will run hot.
Riverside racer and 1795 like this.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 03-04-2021, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

what about drilling a small hole in the thermostat to act as a bypass?
sgianino likes this.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
what about drilling a small hole in the thermostat to act as a bypass?
My thermostat has a 'jiggle pin' that allows air to flow through, then closes once coolant starts to flow.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone, looks like the consensus is to re install the thermostat. Really appreciate the insight and guidance. I like the idea of a larger valve to increase water flow to allow engine to cool, but I don’t want to worry about waiting for the engine to warm up correctly before driving it. Thanks again. Love this forum.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone, looks like the consensus is to re install the thermostat. Really appreciate the insight and guidance. I like the idea of a larger valve to increase water flow to allow engine to cool, but I don’t want to worry about waiting for the engine to warm up correctly before driving it. Thanks again. Love this forum.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

The engine was designed to have a thermostat. It will work best with that installed.
Riverside racer likes this.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

If you don't have a heater or heater bypass...

Thermostat modifications
Old 03-05-2021, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
You need either a thermostat, or a restriction plate. If you leave those out, the water moves too quickly through the system and doesn't transfer heat. The water temperature will look good, but the heads will overheat. And that's a bad thing.
This is a very common opinion, but incorrect based on my understanding of fluid dynamics and thermodynamics. Here is a more authoritative source: Flow Kooler
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-05-2021, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
This is a very common opinion, but incorrect based on my understanding of fluid dynamics and thermodynamics. Here is a more authoritative source: Flow Kooler
That's a pretty interesting article. I know it works, because I've tried it. Detonation without the restriction. Smoother running and no detonation with it. But It looks like I didn't really understand why it worked.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 03-05-2021, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

I have a 514 in my Superformance. Mine runs cool all the time no matter the outside temps. It use to get a bit hotter. I found out the factory fan sensor in the radiator is a 195. To high. I replaced the radiator fan sensor to a 165, a 165 high flow thermostat. I did recently replace the radiator since mine is an 2002 with 55k miles. I had 5 or 6 tubes leaking. The radiator shop would not repair the aluminum radiator, so I had to order another one from Superformance $$$$$. It looks like the new one has one or 2 more rows!!
Scott
Old 03-05-2021, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootter View Post
I have a 514 in my Superformance. Mine runs cool all the time no matter the outside temps. It use to get a bit hotter. I found out the factory fan sensor in the radiator is a 195. To high. I replaced the radiator fan sensor to a 165, a 165 high flow thermostat. I did recently replace the radiator since mine is an 2002 with 55k miles. I had 5 or 6 tubes leaking. The radiator shop would not repair the aluminum radiator, so I had to order another one from Superformance $$$$$. It looks like the new one has one or 2 more rows!!
Scott
What are your oil temperatures with the 165°F thermostat?
Old 03-05-2021, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
What are your oil temperatures with the 165°F thermostat?
Honestly I don't pay much attention to that one... I mainly look at the oil pressure, water temp and fuel gauge.
I would say in the 90 to 100 range. My oil cooler is not hooked up.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootter View Post
Honestly I don't pay much attention to that one... I mainly look at the oil pressure, water temp and fuel gauge.
I would say in the 90 to 100 range. My oil cooler is not hooked up.
"90 to 100 range"? I trust that's °C, meaning 194-212°F. That's okay, though not great.

Regardless, I believe a 165°F thermostat means your engine runs too cool. While that may be better for power, it increases engine wear - though most of us will never drive our cars enough that such wear becomes a significant factor.

Operating temperature vs power and longevity: HOTRODSRJ’s COOLING TIPS Operating temperature vs power and longevity!
Old 03-06-2021, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison
Not Ranked     

Oil temperature should be up around 190 or so. It works best at that temperature. You should strive to dial in your system so it heats to that after driving for 15 minutes or so and can stay around that temp for the duration. This is usually accomplished by a thermostatic valve and oil coolers.