LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2022, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aurora GRX
Not Ranked     
Default Cost to Recover seats

Hi all,

Checking in to see what some have paid to recover seats and door panels. I want to change the color of my interior to red and am being quoted about 4 to $4,500. Seems a bit high. By the way that's for leather, not vinyl. Has anyone ever found leather seat covers?

thx
Old 01-30-2022, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The reskin price you were quoted is fair IF they had to remove and reinstall all items, seats , dash etc...
I'd advise that you add your car details in your profile as you will get more responses when folks don't have to search your earlier posts to see what kind of car you own.

Back to the seats... The Aurora has a bit different seat design depending on the options ordered it appears (some have headrests, some look to be Jaguar, etc...). This site will may be helpful.
https://www.auroracobra.org/stuff.html
https://www.auroracobra.org/garagelinks.html
Old 01-30-2022, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupee View Post
Hi all,

Checking in to see what some have paid to recover seats and door panels. I want to change the color of my interior to red and am being quoted about 4 to $4,500. Seems a bit high. By the way that's for leather, not vinyl. Has anyone ever found leather seat covers?

thx
Chupee,
It was a marine upholsterer who upholstered my seats. All I supplied was the bare aluminium seat buckets/shells and he supplied all other upholstery materials, including the leather (and there was a significant amount of leather left over *edit* that I could keep, of course). He also made up the required head rests (leather covered) in the price.
How much? AUD2000, which on current conversion is around USD1400
That was about 4 years ago, but things have not gone up much (if you look around a bit).
You can often get a really good deal if you think outside the square just a little.

Good luck!
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 02-01-2022 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 01-30-2022, 05:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I just had my complete interior redone two months ago. Metal frame seats completely redone in leather, nylon Wilton wool look-alike carpet (I didn't want the hassles of wool), recover the rear bulkhead, install heater pads in the seats, fabricate new leather door pockets and install. The whole bill was $3,500. I think what you're being quoted reflects the California tax, as I call it.
Attached Images

Chupee likes this.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I was quoted a few prices for foam and covers for the seats in my Cheetah that were a lot higher than I anticipated here in Alabama. I suspect they priced work on a higher end hot rod the way boat dealers price boats - If you can afford a luxury toy, you can afford expensive upholstery too. So I kept looking and found a more affordable shop about an hour away. If I were you I'd keep shopping around.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 01-30-2022, 11:41 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Chuppe, I can add my past experience, with my 427 car. This was 3years ago. Asked the Hot-Rod guys in my area, who do I go to. They told of a gentleman in my area that does great work, as he's semi-retired and LIKES challenges. Brian even let me help with tasks I could handle, we spent 18days working on getting the int. just right. The seats were already done. After getting into the project, we did a few up-grades, that was not in the original quote, when all was said & done, $3200 and change, seats would have added another $1500. Now I'm in Washington state so maybe 20% cheaper??? If you get a chance Chuppe, ask the Hot-Rod guys in your area, great sources. Cheers TommyRot.
Chupee likes this.

Last edited by Alfa02; 01-30-2022 at 11:55 PM..
Old 01-31-2022, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

I had also contacted a boat upholstery shop 2 years ago to change my interior color (tan seats, door cards & dash, marine blue carpet- I did not select these colors, cam that way) to black carpet & seats etc. He quoted $2k if I removed everything and brought it to him. Easy to do since all in boxes. That was using high grade marine vinyl. I would look around and find someone that is not charging you the California "Sunshine" tax!

Thom
Chupee likes this.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
The reskin price you were quoted is fair IF they had to remove and reinstall all items, seats , dash etc...
I'd advise that you add your car details in your profile as you will get more responses when folks don't have to search your earlier posts to see what kind of car you own.

Back to the seats... The Aurora has a bit different seat design depending on the options ordered it appears (some have headrests, some look to be Jaguar, etc...). This site will may be helpful.
https://www.auroracobra.org/stuff.html
https://www.auroracobra.org/garagelinks.html
Thanks! My car has the common cobra seats, the stock Aurora seats are long gone. I have taken the frames out of the car so I can now see how much padding needs to be removed to make the fit better. I have since learned these are just soft touch vinyl.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Chupee,
It was a marine upholsterer who upholstered my seats. All I supplied was the bare aluminium seat buckets/shells and he supplied all other upholstery materials, including the leather (and there was a significant amount of leather left over *edit* that I could keep, of course). He also made up the required head rests (leather covered) in the price.
How much? AUD2000, which on current conversion is around USD1400
That was about 4 years ago, but things have not gone up much (if you look around a bit).
You can often get a really good deal if you think outside the square just a little.

Good luck!
Glen
Great idea! thanks alot.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
I was quoted a few prices for foam and covers for the seats in my Cheetah that were a lot higher than I anticipated here in Alabama. I suspect they priced work on a higher end hot rod the way boat dealers price boats - If you can afford a luxury toy, you can afford expensive upholstery too. So I kept looking and found a more affordable shop about an hour away. If I were you I'd keep shopping around.
Appreciated! Will do!