Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Csx8000 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/144730-csx8000.html)

Mr Barnwood 04-16-2021 10:08 PM

Csx8000

Do any members have a 8000 series Cobra? I’m am considering buying a used 289 car and was wondering if there is something I should be aware of, or watch out for?
The car I’m looking at has a fiberglass trunk lid and the engine compartment and trunk are aluminum lined. The car appears to have a lot of aluminum but a fiberglass trunk lid seems odd.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Joe

xb-60 04-17-2021 03:16 AM

Joe, isn't the rest of the body on a CSX8000 car fibreglass as well?

Cheers,
Glen

Mr Barnwood 04-17-2021 09:59 PM

I think they offer them aluminum and fiberglass, what is a quick easy way to tell aluminum as opposed to fiberglass body’s?

CompClassics 04-17-2021 10:13 PM

If it is a fiberglass bodied 8000 then the, doors, hood and truck lid will be fiberglass. At the same time if it is an aluminum bodied 8000 then the, doors, hood and trunk lid will be aluminum.
That being said there are owners of fiberglass bodied Cobras that have gone through the additional expense of having aluminum, doors, hood and trunk lids made from aluminum for their fiberglass bodied Cobras.
Things to watch out for on the 8000 Series Cobras are mostly suspension related. On the early cars Shelby used a inferior leaf springs on the front and the rear that would start sagging quickly. Another issue is the camber adjustment that Shelby had built into the front and rear uprights, it was a good idea that was poorly executed. Another thing the early cars used was a fuel bladder instead of a traditional fuel tank, this caused a finite service life of 4 years and the tank itself has a very low capacity. Another is the foot box size it is a 427 type foot box, it works well for doing exhaust work but in doing so makes the foot box very tight compared to later built cars that used a correct type 289 foot box.

An easy way to tell an aluminum body from a fiberglass body is look at how the body itself is fastened to the frame tubes, fiberglass cars tend to be flat edged and have very few rivets, an aluminum bodied car will have rolled over edges (the body aluminum rolls around the frame structure) and a substantial number of rivets under the rolled over edge (approx spaced every 4” or so).

Blas 04-18-2021 05:45 AM

What year was the car built? I have a extensive list of info on all the newer CSX 7000 & 8000 cars and the Superformance MKII Street and Slabsides since I make the Owner’s Manuals & Diagrams.
Maybe I can help.
Blas

Mr Barnwood 04-18-2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CompClassics (Post 1491926)
If it is a fiberglass bodied 8000 then the, doors, hood and truck lid will be fiberglass. At the same time if it is an aluminum bodied 8000 then the, doors, hood and trunk lid will be aluminum.
That being said there are owners of fiberglass bodied Cobras that have gone through the additional expense of having aluminum, doors, hood and trunk lids made from aluminum for their fiberglass bodied Cobras.
Things to watch out for on the 8000 Series Cobras are mostly suspension related. On the early cars Shelby used a inferior leaf springs on the front and the rear that would start sagging quickly. Another issue is the camber adjustment that Shelby had built into the front and rear uprights, it was a good idea that was poorly executed. Another thing the early cars used was a fuel bladder instead of a traditional fuel tank, this caused a finite service life of 4 years and the tank itself has a very low capacity. Another is the foot box size it is a 427 type foot box, it works well for doing exhaust work but in doing so makes the foot box very tight compared to later built cars that used a correct type 289 foot box.

An easy way to tell an aluminum body from a fiberglass body is look at how the body itself is fastened to the frame tubes, fiberglass cars tend to be flat edged and have very few rivets, an aluminum bodied car will have rolled over edges (the body aluminum rolls around the frame structure) and a substantial number of rivets under the rolled over edge (approx spaced every 4” or so).

That’s an impressive answer, and I really appreciate you taken the time to help me. Thank you very much

legenmetals 04-18-2021 07:49 AM

CSX 8967 Anniversary, all aluminum

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...618776_HDR.jpg

PDUB 04-18-2021 10:25 AM

Nice 260 car!

Quote:

Originally Posted by legenmetals (Post 1491932)

Wow, Mark, nice car, but really, you should wash it before taking and posting photos...;);)

Ok, amazing paint work... so slick the leaves look real!

peterpjb 04-19-2021 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legenmetals (Post 1491932)

please, please provide us with more pictures! :)

CompClassics 04-19-2021 11:10 AM

You are welcome, Mr Barnwood.

legenmetals 04-19-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterpjb (Post 1491958)
please, please provide us with more pictures! :)

Just click on my profile, should be a couple more.

Mr Barnwood 04-19-2021 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blas (Post 1491929)
What year was the car built? I have a extensive list of info on all the newer CSX 7000 & 8000 cars and the Superformance MKII Street and Slabsides since I make the Owner’s Manuals & Diagrams.
Maybe I can help.
Blas

The number is about CSX 8020, today I found out it’s a fiberglass car, so I’m going to pass.
Thank you

Bill Kesner 04-20-2021 07:57 PM

Joe,

You're going to pass on the car because it's fiberglass? Are you looking for an aluminum car, or just not sure. Both are great cars, though the aluminum will be more costly.

- Bill -

Mr Barnwood 04-20-2021 09:09 PM

I am going to pass. I am president of the More money then brains club and I’m impulsive and I see something and want to buy it but I have a lot of cars and a lot of motorcycles so I’m going to pass.
One of the mechanics at a garage that I have some financial interest in called me and said there was a Cobra in for work and the owner can’t drive and was thinking about selling it. He has since decided he’s going to give it to his son or Grandson.

xb-60 04-20-2021 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legenmetals (Post 1492004)
Just click on my profile, should be a couple more.

Great pictures!
Is that cast steel bellhousing polished??

Cheers,
Glen

legenmetals 04-20-2021 11:39 PM

Sure is, as well as the tranny, block and steel slave cylinder mount.

xb-60 04-21-2021 02:01 AM

You can see your reflection in the transmission, block and slave cylinder mount as well as the bellhousing??
Wow, I'm impressed!

Cheers,
Glen

PDUB 04-25-2021 01:38 AM

Super nice build!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1492059)
You can see your reflection in the transmission, block and slave cylinder mount as well as the bellhousing??
Wow, I'm impressed!

Cheers,
Glen

Yes, you can! That build is amazing!

Harpoon PV2 08-02-2021 04:56 AM

Wrong thread!

Harpoon PV2 08-02-2021 05:00 AM

Wrong Thread!