• 1 Post By windy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2021, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch build self design 4.6l DOHC
Not Ranked     
Default Hey Florida People I have a Question

Now that I'm crossing into short time to retirement, and planning to escape the hell hole that is Minnesota. I need to get my ducks in a row for my move. Does any know of a Garage Condo location similar to what they have here.... https://chanhassenautoplex.com/ . Not that I need to have some over the top garage but what I really would like to find is a place to store and work on my "Fun" cars, and maybe build one more. Does any know of anything like this near the Tampa / Fort Myers area? I have time before I need to invest so it doesn't need to happen right away but getting the ball rolling is a good start.

Thanks for, your help

Patrick
Spyderdan56 likes this.

Well, it occurs to me that perhaps not all of the modifications I made are technically 'street legal'

Nothing good ever happened after this statement;
Hey Moe watch this!
Old 04-26-2021, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

An alternate might be to find an air park and use your hanger for your cars.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Consider this encouragement more than actual useful information. ... I spent two months near Ft Myers two winters ago and I recall seeing signs advertising luxury storage spaces for vehicles. I got the impression it was for winter visitors who wanted to leave valuable vehicles someplace safe while they were gone for hurricane season. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the name was.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 04-26-2021 at 05:38 PM..
Old 04-27-2021, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Patrick: I know Sarasota has several storage facilities ( ie :MAC Exotic Car Storage) and also a "fly-in" community (Hidden River) and I know a few people that live there and have used their hanger for they're cars, one family with 2 original Cobras !
But you probably need to be an aircraft owner to live there.

Ted
Old 04-27-2021, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a home in Port Charlotte, Florida. Its between Sarasota and Fort Myers. To me, Ft Myers and Sarasota are traffic and housing congested hell-holes, not to mention expensive. Life is slower and cheaper here in Port Charlotte or North Port. I would suggest buying a home here with two lots that either have an existing second detached garage or at least the ability to build one. Homes like this can still be had for +/- $300K here. BTW, stay away from Cape Coral (Read: Crime Coral), Lehigh Acres or North Fort Myers. JMO, having much experience in the area. BTW... my retirement brought me here too.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B-McGill
Not Ranked     

Tampa to Ft. Meyers comprises a lot of area.
What you need to do is first try to narrow down an area where you think you might want to live.
Then look for something to rent for at least a year.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch build self design 4.6l DOHC
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraResurrect View Post
Tampa to Ft. Meyers comprises a lot of area.
What you need to do is first try to narrow down an area where you think you might want to live.
Then look for something to rent for at least a year.
Well I'm looking for the facility options first so I can then look for where I want to land near them. I have spent some time running around between Tampa and Naples so it's not a foreign land. It's not looking good for locating an off site location for my Shop/Storage, I have a few years to get everything in place will be looking to buy a small condo in the area to use as base camp till we can solidify our resting location. I really want to find an area with a good size car culture community so I don't have to spend lots of time getting to and from events and making new friends close to the new home.

Well, it occurs to me that perhaps not all of the modifications I made are technically 'street legal'

Nothing good ever happened after this statement;
Hey Moe watch this!
Old 04-27-2021, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Inc, Ford 7.5L 460ci
Not Ranked     

This facility just opened up in the last year. A little east of the airport.

https://paddock-1.com/

Also, awesome car, car-show culture here! On this website, use the pull-down menu "Shows & Cruise-Ins" on the left side and click "west coast".

https://flacarshows.com/

Last edited by Spyderdan56; 04-27-2021 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: additional information
Old 04-27-2021, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 4071, SHP 408 Carb dry sump, G-Force T-5, 4 into 4 headers, 3-link 8.8 with 3.55 gears in the rear
Not Ranked     

I'd suggest getting familiar with and in touch with the Deep South Cobra Club. I use to live in North Tamp and helped run the club for a few years. It's not quite the same now after 13 years but there are a lot of good Cobra people all over that area. They may be able to help you out finding what you're looking for.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 395 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Good luck to you Patrick, I'm envious of your endeavor.

This comes from a fellow Minnesotan who is also planning retirement, but for various reasons will not be able to escape "the hell hole that is Minnesota." Unfortunately I'll just have to keep paying my taxes and staring out the window at that white crap 4-5 months of every year.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Check out https://wheelbasegaragecondos.com/ There was a car-specific condo that went up recently, but it is sold out. I am Bradenton out East near Bradenton Motorsports. There are a lot of homes with extra garages built out to give 5-6 car garages. My wife is a real estate atty. Based on what she is seeing, I would not buy right now. It is a feeding frenzy whenever a new home comes on the market around here.
Spyderdan56 likes this.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #413
Not Ranked     

I was about to mention wheel base garage in Sarasota. My buddy is thinking about building a few more just like this, I just sent him some vacant lots yesterday.