Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mine, small block FORD
Not Ranked     
Question 289 slabside body identification help please!

HELP PLEASE,

OK folks I am starting off this project by asking for some help, all ideas are welcome as I am sure the collective knowledge here can figure anything out. This will get wordy……..

I have a mystery on my hands here, the body is nice but has no makers markings, numbers, nothing and I have looked inside and out, I will start with what I know…and that’s not much.

I recently purchased the body as you see it here from a gentleman in Gatineau, Quebec, he is partners in an auto parts store there and he bought it and some other parts including a chassis from a customer of his. He said the body was not going to work with his chassis so he is going with a 427 type body.

I saw the chassis, it was nicely made, looked remarkably like a Factory Five unit, it had FFR front upper arms on it and had recently had some work in the rear done by another fellow, Atelier Fred Fab Custom Shop ( he’s on Facebook ) to add the thunderbird type rear IRS. This Fred fellow apparently makes a very nice copy of the Factory Five car including the body for the Quebec market. However other then it being a 289 body Eric knew nothing of the origins of the body, what you see is what you get. However the price was very right for me compared to any of my other options.

So it’s a 289 slabside body the basic measurements look good, the front width at the top of the wheel arch is 61 inches, which I think is right for a rack and pinion 289 but the rear is 63 inches which is 2 over, I think, please correct me here. I am not really concerned about the width though as I will just adjust the chassis to suit it and could get away with a bit wider rubber in the back perhaps.

The body is nicely heavy, looks to average a fat 3/16 where I can see at the louver cut outs and hole for the filler neck behind the cockpit. The edges of the wheel openings are built up to ¼ inch or better as are the lower flange and the door and hood / trunk openings. The body appears to be a rolled chopper gun layup with cloth added at the door and hood openings. Looks well made.

The doors and hood seem to be an inner and other skin bonded together with threaded metal plates at the hinge locations and the doors have 5/16 ( stainless ? ) studs at the hinge location. Doors and hood / trunk are rather heavy for their size if you know what I mean. The hood has a very nicely moulded in hood scoop with blind holes for adding the rivet detail. Everything looks to be unused and other then the filler neck hole, a cut in the lower flange, the side vents, and 2 of the rear bumper mount holes drilled through there is nothing done other than a coat of primer. There appears to be no front bumper holes indicated on the body however I have not sanded off the primer yet to see if perhaps the marks have been filled in for some reason.

The body has a couple of odd shapes however, the front lip of both doors has a pronounced wiggle, for lack of a better term, about a third of the way up, same shape on both?? The lower edge has a large mounting flange, about 2 inches wide with a very pronounced corner shape at the rear, like it was made to go on a chassis with a large flat, straight lower rail of some sort. There is also a glassed in stiffener along the lower front edge.

I don’t know if the doors, hood and trunk belong to the body shell. The gaps are OK at a quick look, could be better, but I have not really shimmed up things either just set them in place. The body does appear to be older just based on I can see a couple of those spider web type marks( gel coat cracks ) through he primer fairly small and inconspicuous and I will be sanding it all down and fixing any other that I might find. I take those as a sign of age but they could also be some sort of handling damage. That’s what I know about the body.

So the question is who made it?? I don’t know how many companies have made a slabside body over the years; I know it has not been the popular option until more recently. The ones that come to mind are Hawk, Mr. Bruce, Allied, ERA, Johnex, and Aurora , but again, I don’t know much…….

I believe Allied is out because there were very few, and from what I have read they were meant to be a replacement skin for a real 289 and are fairly thin. I have never seen one of Mr. Bruce’s bodies myself and have no idea what the insides look like, same for the ERA and the Hawk. I did see a Johnex body many years ago when I was making a deal to buy one from him but did not study it in detail as I was just excited that I could get a 289 body at all. I have seen an Aurora car before but again I don’t remember the detail other than the shape was right. From what I have read here on CC the Aurora car mould was acquired from a fellow who had taken a mould off and early car ( CSX2036??) that he used to build a car. I also believe the Johnex body mould was taken from an Aurora car so??

Being that the body is here in Canada I am leaning towards the Aurora / Johnex body idea but just don’t know, did Aurora modify the width of the body? Are the wiggles in the door opening left over from the Auroura car, I do recall they had weird, large (ugly) domestic car type door hinges? That lower mounting flange is a mystery, it’s very distinct and I hope someone recognizes it. It will not be there in the end, I have other ideas, I may also just use the skins of the doors and trunk too, go with something a bit more authentic looking and speaking of that, it’s a real shame but I doubt I will keep the hood either, as nicely done as it is I don’t think I want to have a scoop. It was a fairly rare thing on a regular 289, not to say it did not happen. It’s just not the look I had in mind, so it might come up for grabs too.

So without further ado, here are some pictures with some close ups of the odd bits.

Please help if you can, I would just like to know more about this and I suppose it would be nice to have an answer for when people ask who made the body. And perhaps I just like history too.

Sorry it got really wordy but I wanted to put it all out there…..

Thanks!!!
Old 04-09-2019, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default and more pics too

Forgot to add all the pictures.

The door opening "wiggle"

Last edited by old willy; 04-09-2019 at 04:51 PM..
Old 04-09-2019, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

and still more, perhaps I am doing something wrong but I cn't seem to add more then a couple at a time.......

The lower rear flange

Last edited by old willy; 04-09-2019 at 04:52 PM..
Old 04-09-2019, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

or perhaps I am doing something wrong...

Rear mounting flange from the bottom

Door inner

Hood inner

Hood scoop

Trunk inner

Last edited by old willy; 04-09-2019 at 04:55 PM..
Old 04-09-2019, 05:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

JCF or Aurora
is my thought.
From my phone the pics look like fiber type versus fabric laid.
Think ERA, SAI, SPF and hawk are fabric. ??

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 04-09-2019 at 05:57 PM..
Old 04-09-2019, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh that S word again!
Anyway, Auroras original body molds were taken from CSX2013, a MKI Cobra. So much time has passed now that it would be hard to say if their original molds have been altered or not. Aurora had two sets of body molds. The body pictured here isn’t an old Aurora as it would have holes for MG tail lights but if one of the molds were altered to be more Cobra like, this could be one. At this point in time, who knows. I have no idea what an Aurora hood or trunk looks like as far as the casting goes but those are pretty distinct.
Do you have a photo of the entire body from the side view?

Larry
Old 04-09-2019, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1984 Aurora Cobra Mark II #153
Not Ranked     

[/url]

If it helps, this is an Aurora Mk. II #153.

Michael
1985 CCX likes this.

Last edited by Mach 1 Fan; 04-09-2019 at 08:04 PM..
Old 04-10-2019, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

Underside of an Aurora body. You can see parts of the frame. And the door were really thick incl. the cut outs
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2019, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I believe both sets of Aurora molds ended up in the US. I know for fact one did because I’ve seen it. That was 20+ years ago, so I’m leaning towards this being something else.
Larry
Old 04-11-2019, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi all,
Thanks for the input, I will see about getting you a side picture Larry, it is currently hanging from the ceiling of my shop to keep it out of the way and safe. Thanks for the reminder about the ugly tail lights on the Aurora car, this one defiantly doesn't have that look.
Been on the parts hunt lately, it's amazing what you can find when you start looking. I told my wife when I bought the body that I would gather parts over the next year before I started building, I also need to get a couple of other things out of the way first too.

However last weekend found us driving around picking up what is left of a mid 60's MGB and this weekend I am picking up 1 maybe 2 T-bird IRS assemblies for cheap. I keep telling her I need to take the deals when they present themselves, later when I am waiting for something I will end up paying a lot more for it.....well maybe.....
Old 04-11-2019, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by old willy View Post
Hi all,
Thanks for the input, I will see about getting you a side picture Larry, it is currently hanging from the ceiling of my shop to keep it out of the way and safe. Thanks for the reminder about the ugly tail lights on the Aurora car, this one defiantly doesn't have that look.
Been on the parts hunt lately, it's amazing what you can find when you start looking. I told my wife when I bought the body that I would gather parts over the next year before I started building, I also need to get a couple of other things out of the way first too.

However last weekend found us driving around picking up what is left of a mid 60's MGB and this weekend I am picking up 1 maybe 2 T-bird IRS assemblies for cheap. I keep telling her I need to take the deals when they present themselves, later when I am waiting for something I will end up paying a lot more for it.....well maybe.....
Better not tell your wife but I’ve been gathering parts for 15 years! Remember, divorce is expensive!
Larry
Old 04-11-2019, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks I will keep that in mind,
I have already been told that it had better not take that long!

Anyway until I can let it down and get a better picture here it is in flight.......

Perhaps he was always a shyster, but we just chose to over look it for awhile.

You build what you like and I will build what I like...it's all good

You know that guy,
The one in the neighborhood who likes to hang around the garage while you are working and talk about back when he had that killer 1977 Chevy Mustang
Old 04-11-2019, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The bottom edge of an original car, and on the Aurora, is curved between the two tires. Seen from a side view, it's easy to see. You can also see it migge's photo in post #8. A little hard to tell from this angle but it doesn't look like your body has that curve. So I'm still leaning against it being an Aurora.
Larry
Old 04-14-2019, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again Larry,
I will need to put a straight edge to it and check for the curve.
Had a successful day yesterday , removed and brought home the complete IRS assembly from a mid 90's Cougar and the seller threw in the diff from a Lincoln mk8 just in case I wanted to use the aluminum housing instead. hmmmmm, I had wanted to get the Lincoln IRS he had but he wants to make a trailer out of it!!
And if he sold me the one that was already removed he would need to remove the Cougar one ......it went pretty well, I unbolted the drive shaft, cut the lines, springs and cables then ground off the 4 subframe bolts ( 2 spun and 2 would not move )and lowered it right out. A pretty good haul for a couple hours of my time and $100 but I still think its a waste to make a trailer out of the Lincoln unit....
LMH likes this.

You know that guy,
The one in the neighborhood who likes to hang around the garage while you are working and talk about back when he had that killer 1977 Chevy Mustang

Last edited by old willy; 04-14-2019 at 01:36 PM..
Old 05-15-2020, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update time

Hey all,
Well, I said I would get building in a year and here I am more or less. The current world weirdness has certainly impacted my ability to get really started and despite my best efforts I am still trying to get a couple of other smaller projects out of the shop but progress is being made.

Over the winter I did get a nice clean and complete 5.0 small block and matching T5 transmission from an 88 Mustang GT.
A vintage Mallory YL distributor and Holley 4160 carb have joined it as well.

The mustang was also kind enough to donate it's Trac lok rear axle as well.
So I am thinking of a franken 8.8 rear with the Cougar uprights and axles, the Lincoln alloy IRS center with the trac loc from the mustang in it and the rear cover from a Expedition ( if I can find one) it would make for some nice parts to build an IRS around.
I also received a nice package from Motor Wheel Service in England with 4 AC spinners and left and right blank hubs for the rear end. Absolutely beautiful stuff. I highly recommend doing business with them if you are looking for spline drive stuff. I just got a qoute for the wheels and when the current situation calms down a bit more I will be ordering them up.
I will post some pictures when I get a minute or two more and once I start cutting steel I will start a proper build thread but that might be a bit longer yet.

You know that guy,
Old 05-15-2020, 08:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Pics pics pics
Old 05-15-2020, 10:25 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Old Willy, I'll go out this weekend, and check my JCF for those tell-tale areas. I'm thinking the door "Wiggle" is not there, but may be wrong, My JCF's bottom body line look's like the Aurora's. No hood scoop on mine. Tom.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey there,
Thanks in advance for checking that for me. I have never seem a JCF body so again I am grateful for the good folks here on club cobra!

You know that guy,
Old 05-26-2020, 10:05 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

@olddog, No door sill "Wiggle" and the lower body line, has a bend to it, but not nearly as much as the Aurora has. Hope this help's a little Cheers Tom.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

Oh my, I love that color.

John O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach 1 Fan View Post
[/url]

If it helps, this is an Aurora Mk. II #153.

Michael