Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Cobra crash, no seatbelts (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/145193-cobra-crash-no-seatbelts.html)

HighPlainsDrifter 09-16-2021 07:41 AM

Cobra crash, no seatbelts

1 Attachment(s)
Another crash where the guys were ejected, no seatbelts worn or not installed properly. Need to be smarter or our cars will be banned.
A member of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department was killed in a crash that also injured another person in Temple City early Thursday morning, officials said.

The one-vehicle collision happened around 2:20 a.m. in the area of Santa Anita Avenue and Freer Street, according to California Highway Patrol.

Two people were ejected from the vehicle, including the Sheriff’s Department employee who was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.

Ahshoe 09-16-2021 08:50 AM

Why wouldn't you wear them they are a pain in the a#* , so to speak,to sit on or against. Terrible accident. Makes you rethink and respect these beasts.

Alfa02 09-16-2021 09:25 AM

No belts, 2:20 AM, think alcohol was a factor ??? This just give's Us, and our cars a BAD Name. You would think a Police Officer would have better judgement.

t walgamuth 09-16-2021 01:27 PM

I think a high powered Cobra is in most cases more dangerous than a crotch rocket.

Tommy 09-16-2021 02:48 PM

I agree that it's hard for many to deal with the testosterone poisoning that afflicts many Cobra drivers. But from the looks of that car, the injuries were more about the lack of seatbelts than anything else. . . . I was at a track event at Roebling Road some years ago when an acquaintance left the track in the fastest corner (~ 90 MPH), plowed through a stand of small pine trees and came to rest 3/4 upside down. He suffered very minor injuries likely due to his safety equipment. His car, a Superformance, was back together at another track event a year later. A person can only make so many stupid decisions in a row before one of them bites back hard.

bcrumpley 09-16-2021 02:51 PM

Calm down, no one is going to ban our cars because a couple idiots didn't wear a seatbelt.

twobjshelbys 09-16-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t walgamuth (Post 1497144)
I think a high powered Cobra is in most cases more dangerous than a crotch rocket.

Probably, but people don't really understand the difference. A crotch rocket sounds and looks dangerous and people go into it with a different mindset. Cobras more often than not reasonably well behaved after you get the first few pucker events. But after that you forget that the most basic moves, like turning left at a stoplight and goosing it for oncoming traffic, can have very undesirable side effect. People forget this stuff.

You need understand that every time you get behind the wheel of a Cobra that it's mission is to kill you.

In this case I'd concur that there was some alcohol assist involved.

twobjshelbys 09-16-2021 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrumpley (Post 1497148)
Calm down, no one is going to ban our cars because a couple idiots didn't wear a seatbelt.

They won't have to . California has already tried once in the past few months to take them away because they don't conform to some bureaucrat's vision. CA will find a way.

eschaider 09-16-2021 07:24 PM

I think Hal Copple is the guilty one when it comes to the authorship of the extraordinary Owning a Cobra literary masterpiece.

The vehicle commentary he attributes to the key insertion and start up regimen are spot on. In Hal's words, "Each time you slide that tiny silver key into the ignition, and begin your start up countdown, your car will whisper, 'take me for granted and I will kill you'."

It's for real! Sadly some people just need first hand experience to believe it.

Ed

Unique427 09-16-2021 08:42 PM

Accidents, as described by the NTSB are caused by a "chain of contributing factors"
leading up to the accident. Break any link in that chain and the accident simply
does not happen. Possible contributing factors may include:
1) Overconfident driver
2) Demanding high performance vehicle
3) Lack of proper body restraint
4) Alcohol
5) Insufficient attention for driving conditions
6) Distractions

hauss 09-16-2021 09:03 PM

Calm down is not what the driver did. Sorry he or she did not walk away with a lesson.Save the drinking for after the driving . I will say one thing if I were in law enforcement I know for sure I would probably be a drunk. That has got to be the most thankless stressful job on the planet. I do not find my Cobra, to be dangerous, though however for some it is. Know and be honest with yourself, do not drive over your head because, when you do even a prius, can be dangerous. Cars are not dangerous people are.

waterloo 09-17-2021 04:18 AM

New Hampshire does not have a seat belt law

New Hampshire does not have a seat belt law and we don't ban cars.

TLHanna 09-17-2021 04:27 AM

Seat belt laws and helmet laws should be up to the driver/rider. Don't be a dumbass.

jts359 09-17-2021 04:59 AM

Any car when you slide behind the wheel will kill , Some comments here are just strange ! Ed

CobraResurrect 09-17-2021 06:00 AM

A Sheriff Department employee doesn't necessarily need to be a cop.
I was involved in a crash driving a Mazda B2000 pickup in the 80's and was not wearing a seatbelt. Big mistake.
I was also involved in a motorcycle accident (not my fault) that broke my leg. Required 7 operations. Another big mistake to own and ride one.
Motorcycles are way more dangerous.
The end results of the above accident was from not wearing seatbelts.

1795 09-17-2021 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jts359 (Post 1497172)
Any car when you slide behind the wheel will kill , Some comments here are just strange ! Ed

The prior comments were to instruct drivers on the difference between modern cars and cobras. Any car if mishandled could kill you, however modern cars have safety features such as traction control, antilock brakes, accident avoidance, etc., that will attempt to manage a driver's foolish mistakes. Cobras have none of those and also tend to have a lower weight to HP ratio than most modern cars as well. Then can turn deadly in a heart beat, not just for the driver, but the passenger and anyone else in the near vicinity.

Mark IV 09-17-2021 09:05 AM

"If you've drank from the bottle, don't use the throttle...."

Tommy 09-17-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLHanna (Post 1497171)
Seat belt laws and helmet laws should be up to the driver/rider. Don't be a dumbass.

When Florida dropped its motorcycle helmet requirement I said fine. But when a motorcycle accident victim WITHOUT health insurance shows up at the hospital and can't pay for own his care, neither should the rest of us. "Personal decisions" stop being personal when the rest of us have start paying the price for those decisions.

raybones 09-17-2021 10:50 AM

I wear my lap belt every time in my Cobra, so does any passenger. To be 100% honest though I have never used the shoulder restraints.

waterloo 09-17-2021 12:27 PM

Obesity

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy (Post 1497180)
When Florida dropped its motorcycle helmet requirement I said fine. But when a motorcycle accident victim WITHOUT health insurance shows up at the hospital and can't pay for own his care, neither should the rest of us. "Personal decisions" stop being personal when the rest of us have start paying the price for those decisions.

90% of Covid victums are obese, do we deny them care? What about HIV?