1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-23-2021, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default Short depth oil pan for 460 ?

With my 428FE I used a Canton T which had a 6" depth, but I'm building 460. I think the shortest depth is 8.5". I don't know if it would hit the ground or not ?
Someone said that the difference between the FE vs the 460 makes them about the same depth ?

Any 460 guys here ?
Kevin
Old 11-23-2021, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Look into Aviaid competition oil pans.
Used on the original Cobras.

Ford 460 wet sump applications use:
Oil Pan # 155-55435 - $496.60
Oil Pick Up # 159-59420 (supplied with pan)
Dip Stick # 159-59445 - $35.70
Gasket # Fel-Pro 1812 (4 piece) - $24.99
Pan stud or bolt kits (ARP) available.

Measured pan depth is only 7.50"
Pan capacity = 9 quarts (10 with filter)

Link:
https://aviaid.com/shopsite_sc/store...ilpns_bbf.html

Last edited by Unique427; 11-24-2021 at 01:23 AM..
Old 11-26-2021, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Ford
Not Ranked     

I can't comment on an FE but, I have a FFR MKII with a 460 and the pan I am using is the Canton open chassis drag race pan. Fits perfect and nothing hangs below the frame. I must note it is from 2005.I do want to comment that I was going to swap this pan out for a Canton Road Race pan. Ordered it and it didn't fit, wrong pick as well and very poor quality. I just would not order/use a Canton product. There are much better pans out there. The one mentioned above also Armando's but, you ha've to wait for them.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Here's the link to my photo album on Google for the pan I had built by Armando's Racing Oil Pans: https://goo.gl/photos/LV32eSaJ4uwCyRWY9

Pan came complete with crank scraper and pickup. With shipping and taxes is was under $600.

Here are the measurements for the pan (bottom of pan is 1/4" above the bottom of my frame rails):
  • Front: 8 5/8"
  • Rear: 7"
In getting those measurements I put a straightedge across the frame rails and measured to the oil pan rails on the engine. Sent them to Armando and he built to those measurements.

Other:
  • Drain plugs: 1 at front, 1 rear on the side of sump, as far back on the driver's side as possible
  • 1/2" NPT bung at front for oil temperature sender
  • 3/8" dipstick tube on passenger side
  • Sump starts at the front of the pan and is almost full length (about 20" long).

Notes:
  • Total pan capacity is about 12 litres. In retrospect it could have been made shallower if that much capacity isn't needed. By my reckoning, making it 8" deep at the front (5/8" shallower) would have reduced capacity to about 9 litres - still plenty for most applications.
  • The pickup supplied requires a rear sump oil pump. Kaase BBF, Melling M-84D, M-84DV, or equivalent. You'll also need the special main cap bolt with extended stud to support the pickup tube.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 11-26-2021 at 03:54 PM..
Old 11-27-2021, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the great information guys.

I feel that at least,..Canton's welding looks terrible. From the few I've seen lately I don't see how they can seal ? If I had welded like that in school, my instructor would have run over the pan with his truck. (he actually did run over a students project) lol

Mine back in 2001 was excellent in quality. Do to my health I'll only be racing at a few events per season. Dragging mostly with a couple of 1/2 mile challenge runs. I'm always,...on my Cobra with spirited street driving.

So the way pans are built with doors, gates and sumps, what type of pan would suit my needs better ?

I'm building a 460/527 stroker, stack EFI, hydro roller with Kaase SR-71 heads. Expect 725 to 750 HP/TQ. Street/strip 15" tires.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Question. Kaase's oil pump is said to be stronger because the stock type were breaking due to part of the housing being thin, weak and breaking, which can be catastrophic.

Is the breaking because of high RPM stress or are they just weak ?
I don't think I'll go much over 7,000 RPM. I don't believe in going cheap, but is his worth $350 ?

Kaase $350.
Melling high volume $100.

What's your choise ?
Old 11-28-2021, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Ford
Not Ranked     

First let me just say good luck getting that thing to hook up... LOL .I didn't order the Armando's Pan because I didn't have time to wait but, when I talked to them they were most helpful. I did read somewhere Armando used to work for Aviad. I had just became aware of the Kasse Racing Pump the other day because I am looking for cylinder heads. I'm running a Melling HV no issues.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kev, at 7K RPM reliably in a 527 you'll need big $$$$, (not what you already have). and ultralight rotating/valvetrain assemblies. Big stroker engines don't like to rev easily without spending big bucks. You can forget that too with a streetable hydraulic roller.