24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jon@harrison.ne

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2022, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF supplied the body,frame,and some of the driveline-I completed it to be a very accurate 289 slabside
Not Ranked     
Default Hurst shifter rebuilder

I am looking for a high quality shop to rebuild the shifter on my 289 slabside with a T-10. It locked in first and reverse yesterday and I am afraid a lot of the parts are worn out. I was impressed with Paul Cangialosi at 5SPEEDS.com but haven't found anyone else yet. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm in Portland, Oregon but I wouldn't mind shipping out of town.
Jon Harrison
Old 09-28-2022, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@harrison.ne View Post
I am looking for a high quality shop to rebuild the shifter on my 289 slabside with a T-10. It locked in first and reverse yesterday and I am afraid a lot of the parts are worn out. I was impressed with Paul Cangialosi at 5SPEEDS.com but haven't found anyone else yet. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm in Portland, Oregon but I wouldn't mind shipping out of town.
Jon Harrison
Paul Cangialosi is as good as you'll find.

I am assuming you have a Hurst Competition Plus shifter.
Unless you beat the crap out of it, what may be the culprit
are the shifter rod bushings. Hurst made them out of nylon
(and later powdered metal). The nylon bushings tend to distort
and "smear" over time causing poor shift quality.

Paul makes a set out of tool steel that are dimensionally identical.
These will eliminate shift rod misalignment due to worn bushings.

If your shifter is indeed at end-of-life, Paul will include a set of tool
steel bushings with the returned rebuilt unit.

Link to bushings that includes a 12 minute detailed video (page bottom) by Paul :

https://www.5speeds.com/cart/index.p...&product_id=76

Last edited by Unique427; 09-28-2022 at 03:09 PM..
Old 09-28-2022, 07:52 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

John, Good to see you Upright & Mobile. Sorry we didn't meet up this year, next time you're heading to the other house in Bainbridge Island give me a call, will meet up, say Poulsbo. Cheers Tom.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF supplied the body,frame,and some of the driveline-I completed it to be a very accurate 289 slabside
Not Ranked     

Thank you, "Unique 427", for your reply. Paul sure seems genuine in his videos, but some people are pretty good actors. The other shop I looked at was "ShifterDocs" but I'm not so sure about them.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #870 Salsa Red w/White stripes Roushcharged 4.6L 3V
Not Ranked     

Something to check...

A Hurst shifter on a Muncie M21 was notchy in/out of reverse then got stuck in 3rd gear. A nut had come loose that attaches the 3rd/4th gear shift arm to the transmission shift shaft. Put transmission in neutral and reattached/tightened the arm. Replaced all bushings and clips, and readjusted the linkage for good measure. Shifts like butter now.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Ford
Not Ranked     

Years ago Hurst had a rebuilding service , I had one done and it was great , Did you try contacting them ? Ed
Old 09-30-2022, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Google hurst shifter rebuild and there are lots but nothing links directly to Hurst (although some try). Maybe there's a factory blessed subcontractor.
Old 09-30-2022, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the replies

It appears to me, like a lot of things these days, Hurst quality isn't what it used to be so a good rebuilder should take that into account. For example, the spring clips that hold on the shift rods seem to be weak spot. That's a big reason I wouldn't just buy a new kit and use all the parts in the box.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance aluminum 427FE
Not Ranked     

Why not just do it yourself???? Yeah, it really is that simple. Paul at 6speeds.com has all the parts and how to videos.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Shifter is back

My car (289 slabside, T10 4 speed) is back on the road with the shifter rebuilt by Paul Cangiolosi of 5SPEEDS.com. I can not say enough good things about him. The shifter looked like jewelry when I unpacked it and it functions perfectly. The few times when I called him he always called back promptly ( I never expect anyone to answer the phone these days). I thought his price was very reasonable and he didn't jack up the return shipping cost (it was about half what I spent to send it).
CompFi likes this.