Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nkb
  • 2 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2022, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     
Default Talbot / Bullet style side view mirrors

I'm looking for a source for the original looking bullet / talbot style side mirrors that mount on the fender next to the windscreen posts, like this:

PREFERABLY made with a convex glass ( not TOO wide like the cheepo stick-ons that are at AutoZone / Walmart etc)
Attached Images

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 10-17-2022, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

You may want to try these guys. I bought convex lenses from them for my RayDyot mirrors: https://texautomotive.com/product-ca...ports-mirrors/
Old 10-17-2022, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 8000/Kirkham, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

Original: Talbot & Co. aardvark international Talbot mirror

Original looking:

http://csxparts.com/

Big difference in price
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 10-17-2022, 05:25 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

That's why you buy the mirror as a knockoff, but buy the really high end glass mirror from Aardvark and then swap it out, like this:
A Replacement Convex Mirror that Really Works
Old 10-18-2022, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That's why you buy the mirror as a knockoff, but buy the really high end glass mirror from Aardvark and then swap it out, like this:
A Replacement Convex Mirror that Really Works
Thanks, much - I did read through that thread first, but since its almost 10 years old I thought the info might be out of date. I'll give Aardvark a call. Is it a stick-on cover to the existing mirror, or a complete replacement of the adjustable "bowl"?

Finishline does have one in stock with a convex option, but you know the chances you take there .... https://www.finishlineaccessories.co...or-mr-400.aspx ... lets not start a whole new Finishline-thrashing thread.

Branda has one, but it doesnt look as 'pointy' in the picture as the original Talbot ... https://store.cobranda.com/gtcltastchmi.html .. anyone have one of these?

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 10-18-2022, 07:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

This particular job is really, really easy. And it will turn your $50 knock-off in to a $500 Talbot for less than a hundred bucks. But, the reason I originally did the surgery on the knock-off was because I was not sure: 1) That the existing bolted fastener doohickey to the fender well on the knock-off would match exactly to a true Talbot; and 2) I could see the bolt just begging to be dropped down in to the inner fender between the outer wall and the inner wall. And if that happened, I'm not really sure what I would do as I did not see an easy way to deal with that little problem. So, I ordered a very high-quality, “slightly convex,” 90mm replacement mirror from Aardvark International, the US distributor for the German company Talbot. I also ordered the replacement internal spring, cork, and white outer gasket for the true Talbot mirror. Here's what you do: Take the mirror apart by removing the single back screw. The inner housing, that holds the mirror, rotates in all directions in the outer housing (that is how you adjust the mirror) and it comes out completely with the screw removed. Then I removed the existing mirror from the inner housing, along with the cheap internal parts, and replaced them with the Talbot parts. I sealed the white wire gasket around the perimeter with silicone, used dental floss to compress the internal spring and cork through the back screw hole, and then sealed the mirror in with silicone. After 36 hours I untied the dental floss thereby releasing the internal spring and cork to press up against the mirror. It looks absolutely perfect. The optical quality of the mirror is remarkable. You can actually “see through it,” yet it is still a mirror, with convex properties to help avoid the blind spots. Allowing light to pass through the mirror helps reduce glare at night from other cars’ head lamps. The pics below show the difference in convexness between the new mirror, and the cheap stick-on mirror that I had been using. Also shown is the compressed spring and cork contained in the inner housing, how it is compressed and sitting in a glass waiting for the mirror to be fastened in to it. The mirror after it was siliconed to the inner housing, and the finished product as mounted to the car. Unless you were a Talbot mirror concours judge, you would never be the wiser....

bwcobra15 and eschaider like this.
Old 10-18-2022, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

An "original" period Talbot mirror would have a W. German stamp on it by the logo. They're not exactly rare and show up on eBay often. 300 Jr would be the most often used. There were other mirrors used in period as side mirrors were dealer options and not supplied from AC when the cars were shipped.

Larry
Old 10-18-2022, 07:33 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, that little W stamp would be hard to fake. I remembered the name of the glass is "first surface reflective" glass. Once somebody points it out to you it's pretty obvious but the test is simple. Just touch a pencil lead to the mirror and if you can see a space between the two pencil leads then it's a cheap mirror. If the pencil leads appear to be touching, then it's the better stuff.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Talbot mirrors update

Thanks for all the input and tips. I emailed talbotco.com/ Aardvark Industries and never heard back from them. I ended up buying from Cobra Performance csxparts.com in California. I ordered convex mirrors https://www.csxparts.com/p-1092-mirr...00-convex.aspx and received them about a week later. When I opened the box the mirror did not look convex at all, rather flat. I mounted them on the car anyway and went on a few test drives and couldn't seem to get them adjusted where I could see anything at all.

I emailed Cobra Automotive back, questioning if they were indeed convex, as the box and invoice indicated, because they did not appear to be so. Stephanie Bates responded the next day and apologized, and shipped out another pair, with a return label for the original pair. I received them about a week later, and well, one appeared to be convex, one flat. See photo below.

I emailed Stephanie again, with the photos, and the next day she replied, stating:

Quote:
Ok so I checked with my supplier guess they had mixed boxes as well. So, if you don’t mind use that return label and send all 3 wrong ones back. I got some new ones and this time I pulled them out and checked it to a known flat mirror and it shows way more area, so I think its good and its on its way to you. I apologize to all this error on this I now no longer trust suppliers as to really checking things…..
WOW, what great customer service! The next one she sent USPS Priority express and I received them in a few days. I now have two convex mirrors, I've driven around two days and am pleased with what I can see. (yes, I still turn my head to verify). And now my cobra looks more like the Revell 1:24 model I built so many years ago

Just wanted to say thanks to Stephanie at the Cobra Experience, and Two Thumbs Up for great customer service.

Last edited by bwcobra15; 12-08-2022 at 06:38 PM..
Old 12-08-2022, 06:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very nice. But what you really need now is a convex interior rear view mirror.
A Perfect Convex Glass Replacement for our Cowl Mirrors
Old 12-08-2022, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Very nice. But what you really need now is a convex interior rear view mirror.
A Perfect Convex Glass Replacement for our Cowl Mirrors
That is next!

Old 12-30-2022, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique and collectibles
Not Ranked     

I had my buddy at a sign shop make a small circle on chrome vinyl and he printed the words “ Talbot $ co , Berlin “ in the right orientation and font , and applied it to the mirrors, not stamped or embossed in the metal , but it looks close . Just for fun , that’s one of the fun aspects of the car , if you’re going to fake a car , fake it well . Lol
Old 12-31-2022, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlumpy View Post
I had my buddy at a sign shop make a small circle on chrome vinyl and he printed the words “ Talbot $ co , Berlin “ in the right orientation and font , and applied it to the mirrors, not stamped or embossed in the metal , but it looks close . Just for fun , that’s one of the fun aspects of the car , if you’re going to fake a car , fake it well . Lol
Cobra Performance sells these also. https://www.csxparts.com/p-1350-decal-talbot-dot.aspx

I just missed seeing them when I ordered the mirrors. with $25 minimum order requirement, i'll have to wait to the next purchase.

Old 01-01-2023, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic roadsters ll
Not Ranked     

I just ordered a convex mirror from finish line.got it within three days.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique and collectibles
Not Ranked     

I bought this on Amazon, carefully removed the glass, threw the rest of it in the garbage. I used some windshield adhesive to adhere it onto the flat glass , it’s very thin and is the perfect diameter.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2023, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic roadsters ll
Not Ranked     
Default Mirror

I just ordered a convex mirror a two weeks ago from finish line.and received it in three day’s no problems.