LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2022, 05:55 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     
Default Original 50's Ken Miles Photos.

A good friend of mine (Joel) his Dad, Bob Gizzo was a Road & Track Photographer these are his never seen before Original Photos of the Great Ken Miles. The Porsche (I Think) is Otto Zipper's RSK, maybe RSR ? The other is of course one of Ken's Famous Shingle's (the 1st one?) He had 11 of his favorite Pictures on his studio wall, these were 2 of them. The others are of Ferrari's, Allard J2X. Enjoy, Cheers Tom.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2022, 06:02 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Damn, I swore I took these pictures (With my RIGHT-handed) Camera right side up, Can anybody LIKE Glen fix these?? Brent?? I'm really sorry guy's if someone showed me on MY Computer I could fix them myself, but being told over the phone, or Email, I sometimes don't get. Takes the full effects of these cool pictures away, when they come out this way. Sorry Tom.

Last edited by Alfa02; 12-11-2022 at 06:10 PM..
Old 12-11-2022, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

The only way I know is to import the photos into Windows and use the photo viewer to change the orientation. Photoshop can also do it.

The problem is that cell phone cameras don't record the image in the orientation. They record it and then note the orientation. The forum software strips off the metadata that says how to rotate...
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:27 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Damn, I swore I took these pictures (With my RIGHT-handed) Camera right side up, Can anybody LIKE Glen fix these?? Brent?? I'm really sorry guy's if someone showed me on MY Computer I could fix them myself, but being told over the phone, or Email, I sometimes don't get. Takes the full effects of these cool pictures away, when they come out this way. Sorry Tom.
Hi Tom,

Here are your photos right side up. I’m left-handed so they came out right side up for me. 😊

I put in the same order you had them, but can change if you prefer. Brent

Alfa02 and silverton_ford like this.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:47 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Thank you, Brent, makes this so much easier viewing then standing on my head, or turning the monitor upside down. Even on your "Death Bed" you're a Fixer, glad to hear you're on the Mend!! Guys our Brent was one "Sick Puppy" these last few days with a severe case of Corvid. Cheers Tom.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:25 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Tony, I appreciate your advice and wisdom when it comes to Computer issues. So Zero offense should be taken, when I show this (And it's one of my Favorite Gray Larson Cartoon) but this what I hear, when people explain how to do something on a computer I'm not in front of. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/454300681138798973/
Old 12-11-2022, 09:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Wonderful photos Tom ... thank you so much for sharing and glad to hear that Brent is feeling better !!!

- Tim
jolsen42, EM-0785 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Great shots, Tom!
Did Otto own and/or race an Alfa 8C 2300 Monza as well?

Cheers!
Glen
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 12-12-2022, 02:07 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Exc. Question Glen, I'll try to find out. I have a couple sources I can check with. I know a lot of the movers & shakers of that era (High end car dealers in LA) Of which Otto was one of those, bought over a bunch of racing Ferrari's, Maserati, Porsche, Alfa, etc. So, I would say there's a good chance there was one in his race shop in the 50's. @17 I just bought A BMW 1602, I thought I was the "Coolest Guy" This guy @17 bought a Lusso, and @19 a GTO!!! Really neat short story about Otto's Dealership here: https://sportscardigest.com/remembering-otto-zipper/ Cheers Tom.

Last edited by Alfa02; 12-12-2022 at 02:27 AM..
Old 12-12-2022, 01:22 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Brent now that he has been Bed-ridded, has become the ever-present historian for Ken Miles Found this article in a Modelers post. Shows that Ken was driving for von Neumann by then, and the Porsche is 550, not RSR or RSK, I admit I don't know the old Porsche well. it also talks about Ken's two 'Flying Shingles' I have seen both (In Person) @ a friend's collections Thank you Brent for your Homework. Cheers Tom https://www.diecastxchange.com/threa....43364/page-37
Old 12-12-2022, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

With respect to my Otto/Alfa Monza question, there's a Getty image and a reference to "Alfa Romeo Type 8C 2300 parked in front of Otto Zipper's Precision Motor Car service area in Santa Monica, California".
I won't post the actual image here as I don't know whether that's allowed, but here's the link: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/detai...hoto/150191277

Cheers!
Glen
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 12-12-2022, 03:58 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

My thought Glen, Customer's Alfa getting a service there? (Again, just my $.02) Gordon Chance (Shelby Engine builder, and known as 'The Teenage Tuner' also the Author of the book 'Raceman') Worked @ 'Hollywood Sports Cars' in the 50'-60's and was taught the craft by the 'Old world Craftsmen' that were brought over to keep these Exotic cars running (As Gordon said "Highly Paid for their skills compared to European wages) Gordon told me a story of one these gentlemen. Watching this Craftsmen put a 4-Cam Porsche motor back together was considered an art, as only the best could do it. This gentleman carried on a conversation with Gordon, while rebuilding the motor, Gordon said how can you concentrate on the task at hand and talk with me at the same time?? He said I Built the first one "I have a pretty good idea where things go" Before Gordon passed, he was writing those stories, the book was to be called 'The Teenage Tuner' Sadly that will may never happen now. I do know Sharron his wife, has what he wrote so far, and I've asked if I could somehow help to get what he wrote out to the public, she's thinking about it, here's hoping Cheers Tom. https://gordonchance.weebly.com/
EM-0785 likes this.
Old 12-13-2022, 08:36 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Really cool! Thank you for sharing.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Great pics!

Nice! Ken's the man!
Alfa02 likes this.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear