• 4 Post By Morris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2017, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Avons are directional (sort of)

After some searching, I wasn't able to find anything on whether Avons are directional or not (since they don't look it from the tread pattern), so I contacted the dealer and thought I would share the results. While they aren't exactly directional per se, they do have a mounting specification.

While it's not really important for street use, I understand it has to do with the overlap of the tread splice and opposite forces of braking in the front vs acceleration in the rear. Would have been smarter if I figured this out before I had the tires mounted and painted AVON on them.

Anyway, below are the mounting instructions:

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-26-2017, 08:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Oh, come on. So the instructions are "ignore any directional arrows ... Follow the diagram with the code facing right in the rear and facing left in the front." WhoTF wrote that nice clear gem of an instruction???
joyridin', dcdoug and spdbrake like this.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Oh, come on. So the instructions are "ignore any directional arrows ... Follow the diagram with the code facing right in the rear and facing left in the front." WhoTF wrote that nice clear gem of an instruction???
Yes, pretty ridiculous. Although that doesn't apply to the CR6ZZ model Avon's we run on the cobras. The CR6ZZ's don't have any directional arrows.
Moto One likes this.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-27-2017, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

If you race......that info is very important......especially if you ever blow one out....
Ron61 and eschaider like this.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:43 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
If you race......that info is very important......especially if you ever blow one out....
Well, when they write "face right," do they mean the right side of the car or the right side of the tire?
Old 05-27-2017, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well, when they write "face right," do they mean the right side of the car or the right side of the tire?
Dot or mark is on the Right side of the wheel on the rear....and Dot or mark on the left side of the wheel on the front. it has all to do with the way they wrap the belts.... for stopping and accelerating

Obviously you guy's aren't racing or even taxing you cars.... but when you do start to do fast racing or tracking a car you had better pay attention to details.... that is why the tires are always marked as which Axle and which side they go on.... it's not for show.......

At High speeds those tires can come apart and explode in a heart beat....

Back in the 80's I did a lot of testing for Goodyear and especially the Radials.... when they were first coming out ....and one exploded on me and I thought I'd never stop spinning.... felt like a Gyroscope....

So go ahead and disregard what the tire companies are telling you and you'll learn....

For Warned is For Armed...

Morris
Ron61, dcdoug, Alfa02 and 1 others like this.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Obviously you guy's aren't racing or even taxing you cars....
Yep, that's true. In fact, it seems the only reason my secondaries even get opened any more is because I'm idling off them.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Check the AVON page
Fitment guide | Avon Motorsport
Diagram showing the direction fitment of SLICK motorsport tyres.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

About to get my Avons cr6zz mounted and just want to confirm mounting direction is not crucial for non race application ??
Old 03-12-2023, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

About to get my Avons cr6zz mounted and just want to confirm mounting direction is not crucial for non race application ??
Old 03-12-2023, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This tire information is probably more evident today with the higher performance cars and tires....

So why not do it right if you are going to do it at all.....one de lamination on a burn out could ruin your day...Mark the tire before mounting.....RR....LR....LF....RF...

Codes or serial numbers on the Right side of the wheel on the Rear......& ....Left side of the wheel on the Front....then install on the appropriate corner...
Old 03-13-2023, 05:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I don’t believe they are.
I can look at sidewall tonight.
Attached Images