Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mrmustang
  • 1 Post By HTM101
  • 1 Post By PDUB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2023, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 Contemporary Classic. 427 side oiler (I think)
Not Ranked     
Default Paint color

Greetings:
I go my cobra running again with a rebuilt 850 Holley, and got the rear spinners off (real hot mess there) so I’m thinking that if I’m going to drive this beast around I should at least make it look nice.

Well it was raced so there are lots of chips in the paint.
The body color is the typical blue, with white stripes.

My question is what color exactly is that blue and where can I get a good touch up paint?

I know it’s kind of an open ended question as to the blue used, but I hoping for an “Oh that’s a midnight blue xxx” kind of answer.

Can anyone enlighten me?

And how the heck do I add photos?
I’ve tried the “My Photos” button without much success.

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-30-2023, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Most likely it is "Guardsman Blue", but there were many blues used. Even if you know the color the chances of getting an exact match for touch up is very low... Especially since the paint has aged and probably color shifted.
Old 09-30-2023, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 Contemporary Classic. 427 side oiler (I think)
Not Ranked     
Default Paint color

Tony:

Guardsman blue is a lot closer than just blue.

Thanks

Dave
Old 10-01-2023, 08:45 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snek View Post
Greetings:
I go my cobra running again with a rebuilt 850 Holley, and got the rear spinners off (real hot mess there) so I’m thinking that if I’m going to drive this beast around I should at least make it look nice.

Well it was raced so there are lots of chips in the paint.
The body color is the typical blue, with white stripes.

My question is what color exactly is that blue and where can I get a good touch up paint?

I know it’s kind of an open ended question as to the blue used, but I hoping for an “Oh that’s a midnight blue xxx” kind of answer.

Can anyone enlighten me?

And how the heck do I add photos?
I’ve tried the “My Photos” button without much success.

Thanks

Dave
Dave,

Your best bet is to find a local shop or automotive paint supplier with a "color eye" (laser based product gun used to detect and decipher the paint code that matches your cars current color) that can "sample" your paint and then come up with the top three mixes that match it the best. Photo's won't work as your camera as automatic color correction installed, the forum software further compresses your photo file, and each computer screen will show it to be something different. You want it done right the first time, so as not to have a incompatible color match, and essentially a colored "wart" that shows up ten times worse than your stone chips do.

Bill S.
twobjshelbys likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-01-2023, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Dave,

Your best bet is to find a local shop or automotive paint supplier with a "color eye" (laser based product gun used to detect and decipher the paint code that matches your cars current color) that can "sample" your paint and then come up with the top three mixes that match it the best. Photo's won't work as your camera as automatic color correction installed, the forum software further compresses your photo file, and each computer screen will show it to be something different. You want it done right the first time, so as not to have a incompatible color match, and essentially a colored "wart" that shows up ten times worse than your stone chips do.

Bill S.
These "color eyes" have gotten very good. In the exterior regular paint space they used to be way off, but now the one at our Dunn-Edwards paint store as long as I know the base they can match. I had a spot I needed to blend after doing some stucco repair. The can didn't have enough (but I tried to stretch it) and it was enough of a mismatch that you could see it if you looked. That was due to age and weathering. The can had the recipe and the guy suggested I get a chip and bring it in. They color matched the paint as it IS not as it WAS. I re-did the patch and blended a way sout and you can't even see the repair. I would wager that the auto paint systems are equally good. I would give an except clause if your paint has a lot of flake.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

https://touchupdirect.com/shop/touch...e-poly-f-1964/
CompFi likes this.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snek View Post
...And how the heck do I add photos?
I’ve tried the “My Photos” button without much success...
An easy way is use the attach feature (looks like a paper clip) in your 'reply to thread', find the jpg you want to add, select it, and you're done.

Cheers!
Glen
Old 10-01-2023, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

I am gonna touch up my paint chips with aluminum colored paint, for that original look!
Joey.S likes this.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear