Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   My aluminum interior ... so far (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/21115-my-aluminum-interior-so-far.html)

rbray 10-19-2002 08:58 AM

My aluminum interior ... so far

1 Attachment(s)
I've been busy bending aluminum. Wow this is alot more work than I expected, but so far so good.

rbray 10-19-2002 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
one more

petek 10-19-2002 09:21 AM

Wow!

Ken Oikawa 10-19-2002 09:43 AM

I'll second that!!

BT SNAKE 10-19-2002 09:58 AM

Show Off !!!:3DSMILE: :3DSMILE:

Really neat work RB. I Like It !!!!:MECOOL:

Hersh:)

Jamo 10-19-2002 04:13 PM

Geez--I'll just ditto what Pete said...WOW!

bonyhadi 10-19-2002 07:08 PM

beautiful!

JoeLafives 10-19-2002 11:00 PM

Coolness!!

rbray 12-31-2002 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Just wanted to post an update on my aluminum work.

I would encourage anyone who wants to do this to their car to give it a shot.
It is a lot of work, but it is not technically all that difficult.

I've been out of work for a while , but if all goes well I will back to work soon and have the car on the road this spring

rbray 12-31-2002 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
one more

casaleenie 12-31-2002 04:53 PM

OH MY!!!!

Steve Dickey 12-31-2002 04:58 PM

Roger
Very nice!! With all the experience you are getting you can start on a body next.:3DSMILE:
Steve D***ey

southernfriedcj 12-31-2002 05:27 PM

Man that looks great! Are you Polish?;) (Kirkham factory joke, not ethnic joke):3DSMILE:

How do you get the raised "bead" around the perimeter?

Brent Mills 12-31-2002 07:05 PM

Absolutely fantastic! Great work!

scratch 12-31-2002 11:14 PM

rbay,

My God, a fellow fabricator !

Occasionally it's refreshing to see someone on this forum who is actually building their car !

I'm at the same place on my car, what a hassle. Learned about beads too close to rivets, drilling out rivets and re-riveting in the first session. At $ 1.90 lb., the local aluminum house loves my business.

A old experienced hot rodder offered me a tip- said to make certain all edges are sanded smooth to minimize the sharp edges...this will be appreciated during (heaven forbid) a collision. And to try to use as few as pieces as possible for the same reason.

BTW...How did you like forming behind the rear seats by the wheel well? Mine ended up several pieces.

Nice quality work, something to be proud of...

scratch:MECOOL:

SpeedFreak 01-01-2003 08:54 AM

Hey RBRAY,...NICE!:3DSMILE:

Has it occured to you, what you have learned, probably has great VALUE to many who would like to have the same interior? If you kept notes, and could produce an interior kit for your model ...you might have something here!

Even if you just published the notes on your procedure; many might be encouraged to try the same on their own.

Just my 2 cents.

Speed Freak
:cool:

David Borden 01-01-2003 12:15 PM

WOW.. Very nice work! Good job!

David

JM_OBRIEN 01-01-2003 05:29 PM

Looks great! How difficult is this to learn and also what type of equipment are you using??:D

rbray 01-01-2003 05:51 PM

Wow Thanks for all the great comments.
I posted these picks as a way of encouraging anyone who wanted to give metal working a try to go ahead a do it.
The technique I use is pretty simple:

1) use poster board to cut out a templete of the area you want to cover.

2) Cut out the aluminum from the templete. I use a grade of aluminum called 3003 14 ... it forms better that the stuff you get at the hardware store.

3) Now use a sheet metal brake to bend the aluminum. I got my machine from harbor freight for about 250.00. It is a three in one unit ... brake, sheer and slip roll. Do a search on the old posts , I'm sure someone has posted pics of this machine before.

4) do a trial fit and trim and bend as necessary.

5) the bead roller is used to put the raised lines in the metal.
I got my bead roller from harbor freight on sale for about 100.00.

6) Most imortant step.... DON'T give up ... you will make alot of scrap ... just keep trying.

Someone asked if a kit could be made. The problem is that every interior , even from the same company is slightly different. Other people have tried to make kits for the engine compartment and run into the same problem.

If I can help anyone get started please let me know.

Brent Mills 01-01-2003 06:02 PM

Roger, I have the same item you mention in #3. Works great for the money. Only thing I wished for there was that it was a bit longer/wider. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/pho...5999/05907.gif

Out of curiosity, what are you using to cut curves, etc? I have been using tin snips, but man, that is serious labor if you have to do it much. I was considering an electric set of snips, but..... One thing I used most recently was an old black and decker electric hand jig saw with a metal cutting blade. That seemed to work pretty well too.