9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2003, 09:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra towing with mid-size v8 SUV ???

Looking for any first-hand feedback from members who might happen to tow their Cobra behind one of the latest Mid-Size V8 sport utility vehicles; if any of you out there are doing this?.

Plan to utilize a light-weight, open, dual axle trailer too. I will go with a Yukon/Tahoe size if it's absolutely necessary, but prefer the mid-size v8 types. Say... trips 300 miles or less, mild grades, minimum load and passengers, just getting the car from point A to point B safely and reliably.

Specifically referring to mid-size SUVs like...

-Dodge Durango, v8
-Toyota Sequoia (mid/large) v8
-Mercedes 430 v8
-Explorer v8
-new 4Runner v8
Others to consider?

Responses on?:
-capability?
-quality?
-reliability?
-value?
-other comments?
-would you go mid-size SUV/v8 again?

Your feedback is appreciated.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

I'm not so sure I would tow my Cobra. I like to drive it too much to watch it fall off a trailer, dude! WOT, all the time baby!
Old 04-12-2003, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Decooney,

I have a 2000 Durango with a 5.9liter V8 that I pull my enclosed 20' trailer with. It does the job on flat roads pretty well, but I wouldn't buy one again as a tow vehicle. It wouldn't handle the big hills and mountains without a lot of strain on it. My next tow vehicle will be at least a 3/4 ton truck with a diesel motor.

Ross
Old 04-12-2003, 10:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Duane,

I towed mine from socal to seattle on an aluminum open trailer with a ford expedition, couldnt even tell it was back there, had to check my mirror constantly to make sure I hadnt lost it.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If I were you and youre not me, I would purchase and ol Ford truck with a 390 big block to get the job done. Tons of low-end torque to uproot a 2 story house!
Old 04-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default no thanks...

hodgey,

no thanks, I've already got one FE to contend with. The last thing I need is a tow vehicle with one. The goal is to actually get the first FE on the trailer to point B.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

I may be wrong but I don't think any mid-size suv would make a good tow vechicle--I think they'd all be some what "squirrelly"--

I towed a 2800# boat/Trailer combo for a friend with our '97 Jeep suv, only had to haul it about 20 mi. but it always felt like the back end was being driven by the trailer. (could've been a trailer load /balance problem)

I prefer a 3/4 to 1 ton PU for any serious towing--think it has a lot to do with wheelbase length on the tow vechicle

Won't be buying any more suv's of any size--personal opinion
Old 04-12-2003, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Decooney Hi Duane How are you? We need to ask a few questions first? How far, fast, and type of fuel? I live in NJ and tow to St Lious each year you the Run&Gun 1000 miles I drive 65-70 mph and 17 hours. I have a 1 ton cab and a half pickup truck with top on the line interior and it's gas. I get 12.87 miles to the gallon out and back. I have a 350 cid with 4.10 gears. I am not the fastest but I get there just fine. I have an open trailer with the car and a cap on the bed. Desiel fuel is 15 to 20 cents high on my trip. I hear that the desiel gang is getting 14 to 18 per gallon doing the same trip at higher speeds but I want to see TRUE NUMBERS. What ever you buy get heavy duty package and the higher gear ratio. 4.10 is the best for all round towing. I am not tryimg to keep up with the Jones on bigger and larger. You can get a nice full size SUV to do the job for 32K Buy a lease return and the best extended warranty you can get. One thought and warning, might shore the truck weight is equal to the car and trailer for the best towing. Dually are great haulers, very stable and some are cheaper than SUV's Give me a call if you want more info on this Rick Lake
Old 04-12-2003, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

It depends on the fully laden weight of the trailer, I suppose.

Hersh (BT SNAKE) towed his Cobra on a lightweight open trailer with his Durango, and it was so effortless you almost forgot that there was a trailer attached.

I've only towed four or five other car / trailer combinations before, and I was amazed at how easily the Durango got the job done. Hills weren't a problem, the occasional 80mph wasn't a problem.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hey Rick

Hi Rick,
things are going well. Cobra drivetrain is all sorted and running well now since the recent cam change and carb tuning. Much better. Thanks for asking.

As for towing trips, they will be short; under 350 miles once a year or so. And maybe 5 trips a year under 100 miles each. Not much towing to do really, but I do want to be safe and surefooted no matter what. Gas only. Fuel costs really are not an issue since I won't be towing much. I can't find much in the mid-size SUV market, but wanted to ask to see if anyone had any oustanding mid-size SUV stories that seemed convincing. My other purpose is to use the trailer for dirt-bike trips and hauling stuff on the trailer behind the SUV vs. buying a truck. I'm sort of stuck on the Yukon SUV or extra cab-GMC trucks at the moment. I want the x-Cab, and my better half wants us to get the Yukon or Toyota Sequoia SUV. I kept thinking I could get away with a R/T Durango or something.... as a short-trip tow vehicle, but maybe not. Well thats about it for now... see ya.

Hey Craig,
I just saw you post after I responded to Rick. Sounds interesting and good to hear. Maybe I'll look further into the Durangos along with the others, Yukon, etc. I do like the mid 3/4 size SUVs like the Durangos vs. the X-large models.
How about the new one coming out. I could go for this one. Check it out if you have not seen it yet: http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow...2/page004.html

Last edited by decooney; 04-12-2003 at 06:51 PM..
Old 04-12-2003, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

Duane,

I towed my cobra with the wifes '97 Jimmy aproximately 400 miles when I moved from Tyler, Texas to Tulsa, Oklahoma.

It was August and over 100 degrees. I stoped about half way and checked the transmission fluid and there was nothing but bubbles on the stick.

The tranny struggled for a couple of years after that but at 59,000 miles I had to have it replaced (luckly, still under warrenty).

The Jimmy had the towing package and posessed the capacity to haul the cobra, however, it greatly shortend the life of the tranny. I'm sure the 100+ heat didn't help either.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:33 AM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     
Default Tow Vehicle?

I'm having the same questions. I am currently using my son's Durango w/ 5.9 engine. Plenty of guts, just soft in the back from tongue weight. Thinking of putting air bags in back for lift for the time being
The wife and I spent the day today looking at almost everything. We sort of like the Hummer H2 or Cadillac Escalade with the built-in air shocks and automatic load leveling. Has anyone tried towing with one? I figure my total towing weight to be about 6000 lbs. That's 2500# t for the enclosed trailer, 2500# for the car, and another 1000# max for misc. items.
Thanks for the help in advance.
TL
Old 04-13-2003, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

I have an open 1,800 lb. all steel trailer and my Cobra which weighs what a Corvette would weigh 3,200 lb., and it was towed many miles(Florida to Ohio and back) with a Chevy Blazer with a six cylinder engine and you never knew the trailer was there. I just resently purchased a Trailblazer also with the newer straight six engine with only 15hp less than the V8 engine that can be had with this SUV. I have not towed yet with this Trailblazer but with more than 75hp and torque more than the Blazer I don't think I will have a problem. All Trailblazers come with the tow bar already mounted from Chevy.
Dan
Old 04-13-2003, 07:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default townig

Terry Lee,
I have a 2000 Escalade, tows the snake nicely .
However, I did drive my sisters Yukon xl with all the goodies
(I helped pick it out) and that has the load leveling system.
Did not tow with it, but we had 7 people and all their stuff!
You could not have fit even a sheet of paper more, it was that packed it was!
That truck is nice I wouild trade my cadilac for it in a heart beat.
Drives nicer, and 17mpg on the highway (loaded down).
It had all the toys and gimmicks too! Nice Truck!
Old 04-13-2003, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

If you want a truck towing capability with the convience of a SUV look at a F150 SuperCrew. I have a 2001 with a 4.6 and the tow package(bigger radiator, larger alt & battery, Class III HItch, Tranny cooler, HD shocks). I also got the Limited slip rear with the 3.55 rear gears. This truck has the long W.B. with a short overhang in the rear. I love the way it tows my 2350# cobra on a 16" trailer. The only thing I might change is the engine. The 4.6 does a pretty good job around where I live but if I lived near the mountains I would go with a 5.4 or get a F250 super duty with the diesel. My truck gets about 18-19 on the highway without the trailer and about 12-14 pulling the Cobra. It is very stable on the highway and the standard 4 wheel ABS disk brakes work great.

I think most SUV's have softer springs in the rear than a truck and that makes them kind of unstable puling a trailer.

If you are a chevy or dodge man they all have a 4 door truck now so a SUV is almost useless unless you need a third set of seats.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Duane-

Didn't you just post a thread asking why people don't drive their Cobras? Why tow it when you can drive it - I notice you mention trips of less than a hundred miles.....those shouild be a breeze!

I also noted your comment about only wanting one FE - they actually are a great engine for a pickup with lots of torque.....and, if built right, are trouble free!

Old 04-13-2003, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33868 Sold. Just "playin' the boards now."
Not Ranked     

After years of towing race car trailers, I've come to the conclusion that three things are mandatory.

1. Stability
2. Durability
3. Power

Small to midsize SUVs have severe limitations in these areas. In short, good tow vehicles are not soft riding luxury cruisers.

Recommendations:

1. At least 3/4 ton
2. Large V8 or diesel
3. Super heavy duty trans and drive train

Results:

1. You and what you're towing get there in one piece!
2. You're tow rig will survive to tow another day and won't be broken down by the strenuous use.

Some rigs to consider:

Ford Excursion 3/4 ton diesel or V10
Chev/GMC 3/4 ton Suburban with 454

Crewcab (four door) Ford Dodge or Chev pickups with above drive trains.

Dually? Yeah, lots of them tow race cars and they work very well, but they're a pain to park when you're not towing.

I personally use a 3/4 ton Suburban. Seats 8 and has nearly 200,000 miles of this kind of use and is still going. Next rig will be a 1 ton Dodge (non-dually) crew cab with v10 or the supercharged Cummins diesel.

I tried the little stuff and got tired of breakdowns and squirrelly driving characteristics. Gas mileage and comfort is great to go for, but my vote is for SAFETY....not just for me but my passengers and the other cars on the road.

Al
Old 04-13-2003, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3639, 5.0 EFI
Not Ranked     

I have a '99 Durango, 5.9L engine. I've towed THRAMP the length of California twice with no problems. (open trailer)
Old 04-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     

I am very pleased with the performance of my 5.0 Litre Mountaineer for pulling my cars in an 18 foot enclosed trailer. This is my second one, first a '98, now a 2000. Before I got my truck, I borrowed an F-Series - no place to put anything. Then I borrowed an Expedition - no place to park it, and, with the 4.6L engine, it had no more "oommph" than my 5.0L Mounty.

My SUV does triple duty - everyday driver, tow the trailer, haul the boat. It is compact and powerful enough to do the job. I have pulled my cars (my '65 Mustang and the '57 T'Bird will fit into the 18 ft trailer as well as the Cobra) from Michigan to Pensacola,Florida, to Lime Rock Park in Connecticutt, and to Elkhart Lake. It's not the fastest rig on the highway, but it gets the job done.

I have a hitch on the front of the truck for manuvering the trailers - it's really slick. And when the weather is nasty (I know you guys on the Left Coast don't know what I'm talking about, to you guys think a heavy dew is "bad weather" - we had six inches of snow just a week ago) I have all-wheel drive to get me where I want to go, safely.

If you're haulin' all the time, a bigger rig may be needed, but, for just a few trips a year, a V-8 SUV should be able to do it.

regards,

Jeff
Old 04-13-2003, 06:40 PM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

I have a 2002 Explorer V-8 with the trailer package. It pulls the Cobra on an open trailer with no problems at all except for big hills when it wants to shift down a gear or two. However, I wouldn't try to tow a closed trailer with it.

Wayne