LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2002, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to PDHse
Not Ranked     
Question Question? Highest speed recorded in a race

Hi just out of interest does anybody know what is the highest speed recorded for a cobra or coupe ,daytona in a race or drag race, speed trials etc.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 2002 Corvette Z06, 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible
Not Ranked     

PDHse,
If I recall correctly, the coupes could do about 180 or so on the Mulsanne at LeMans. The roadsters weren't good for much above 150.

(Edit: I just checked the book by Friedman on the Coupes to confirm my post above;
The "standard issue" Coupe's were running about 180 at Le Mans, however CSX2287 was the fastest of the Coupe's at around 187mph. It was concluded that the American built Coupe was faster than the Italian built Coupes because of its different shape around the nose and the cockpit. The Coupe's were able to run slightly faster than 180 at first without a rear spoiler, but Remington added the spoiler to maintain aerodynamic control at high speeds at the cost of higher top speeds. )

BTW, while out at SAAC 27 this past summer, Phil Remington and I came across Dick Smith's 427 and after reading the story-board which claimed 198mph at Daytona, Remington questioned me if they were serious about the claim. His comment was, " Are they serious? 198mph at Daytona? No way.". He did not believe that it could be accomplished in a Cobra.

Last edited by Robert Evans; 09-26-2002 at 05:07 AM..
Old 09-14-2002, 10:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh man, my son just called me the other night and asked me what the top speed was for a Cobra. Of course I told him "198", now you burst my bubble. So MANY myths, so little time to work them out,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ernie
Old 09-15-2002, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     
Default EDITED.

There has been very few who disputed Dick Smith's claim. Many who agreed with it being the gospel truth.

Don't rain on his parade. Tell your son the legend as you know it.

TURK
Old 09-15-2002, 01:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Turk, I needed that!

Ernie
Old 09-15-2002, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The entire world exists around myths. 198 is probably just another one.

RD
Old 09-15-2002, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 198

Robert - I'm not sure where you get that from, but Dick Smith does not dispute the 198 mph speed and it's closely supported by Sam Feinstein in 3009 being clocked at 193 at Daytona.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

without a lot of fanfare, the 97 saac registry simply says smith was "clocked at 198 mph at daytona". thats good enough for me. that 198 claim has been made for years with no big deal of doubting thomases or challenges to the claim. i like the sound of it. good for him. bill .
Old 09-15-2002, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 198

Any statement of "Are you serious?" was probably done joking and taken out of context......
Old 09-15-2002, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Time for some common sense here

Guys,
Todays Grand Am cars with 7-800 HP and ground effects and built for high speed barely hit 200 on the high bank portion of the Daytona road course.

But a Cobra of 30+ years ago with maybe 500 hp and the shape of a brick went 198.
Even the Nascar stockcars of the sixties with much better aero packages than Cobras were just approaching 200 and that is running the full high bank course.

You guys beleive what you want but common sense says it never happened.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

I have to agree with "Stretch Evans" on this one.

With all due respect to Dick Smith, I find it hard to believe a Cobra would hit those speeds.

What was the prime motivating factor behind the design of the Daytona? The fact that the Cobra was buffeted by winds at high speed and could not produce or compete with the early aero cars of the day. The nose of the Daytona helped it 'slice' through the air.

Anyone that has driven a Cobra in excess of 150MPH always comments how 'light and twitchy' the front end is at that speed.
Most of it has to do with the design of the grill opening, air gets trapped and lifts the car.

So at 198...I suspect Dick Smith would have been more like "The Flying Nun' than the fastest Cobra ever. No disrespect intended.

Same can be said of the Cheetah that drove so fast blew its own doors off at Daytona.

Q: If the Cobra were capable of these speeds, then why was the 390/427 'Turd' developed with all its aerodynamic improvements?

Last edited by John McMahon; 09-15-2002 at 08:53 AM..
Old 09-15-2002, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA535 with 427FE s.o.& toploader
Send a message via AIM to bonyhadi Send a message via Yahoo to bonyhadi
Not Ranked     

In prewar Germany Autounions were running over 210mph. Back straight at LeMans many
cars run well over 220 in the 70's-80's.

I was at SCCA runoffs in Daytona when Dick Smith ran 198mph. It was captured and official.
Maybe Remington needs to take some more Ginko, or is that is secret part of the Club Cranky
barbeque sauce that you guys will be indulging in?? Some of these posts get to be damn
mean, and nobody is to big to be chopped down a couple of inches!!
Old 09-15-2002, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have yet to see a magazine from back in the day that told of this mighty accomplishment. If it were true, the Old Grouch would have had ads in every major sporty car mag proclaiming one of his car's amazing feat, same with FoMoCo. Real easy to change history 30+ years later. Sumbuddy check the FIA(or SCCA) records ,I'll wager there ain't no listing.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA535 with 427FE s.o.& toploader
Send a message via AIM to bonyhadi Send a message via Yahoo to bonyhadi
Not Ranked     

mr bruce, if MR SHELBY is really the old grouch, wouldn't you be happier in a bow-tie??
how much is the wager for??
Old 09-15-2002, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boni, I like all brands of cars. The Old Grouch is just my little way of identifying everybodys hero. As for the wager,I got a bottle of Raki with a few pulls out of it.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Perhaps they were going by the Smiths tach or speedometer, we all know how accurate they are.

Day dream believers.

Cranky
Old 09-15-2002, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     
Default EDITED.

Could there be anyone on this board that eye-witnessed the event?
TURK

ps. All kidding aside, it would be great to verify these numbers. What a benchmark that would be. I would love to know how he did it, what did he do to his engine, what rear end etc.

I am not quite ready to dismiss it as hog-wash. If we did that there would be very few posts left in here to read.

Don't use your own car's limitations as the reason why someone else couldn't accomplish this. My car won't go over 161* either. Does that mean others won't?

*My transmission is a little messed up, I have no 4th. gear. It is sent out to get the teeth polished.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

dont know one way or the other on whether it will go 198 or not. Dont want to be in one that is going that fast either, but i do know that the arca cars "almost identical to nascar" that are running at daytona and talladega with the restrictor plate produce less than 500 hp and some less thank 450 hp still achieve 190 to 198 on the back stretch with small block 358cid max
Old 09-15-2002, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good point Vision, but it also takes them two to three laps to get up to full speed and an awfull lot of aero work on the bodies.

Turk,
Very impressive speed with your car in just third gear. I imagine it would be even faster with the engine in.

Cranky
Old 09-15-2002, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Let's put our thinking caps on kids. This fairy tale 198 was performed while using the infield road course. That means that the car had to accelerate from about 30-40 mph, up onto the stock car part of the track, and hit 198 in what 3/4,maybe 1 full mile. With 1965 tires, no aero, holding on for dear life. In the ensuing 30 plus years , no one has ever broken that record, not even at Bonneville.Living in a dream world, shattered by reality.