Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Illinois registration

I have sent the SOS in Illinois the MCOE, Shell Valley build sheet, Dealer receipt for crate motor, and Receipt from B2 motorsports for trans,BH,clutch assy.
The SOS rep now wants make and model years of engine and trans cars that they are out of.
It appears that no amount of explaining that aftermarket parts do not come from specific cars is in his comprehension.
I also sent the tax sheet and check to cover out of state purchases taxes.
Any suggestions??????
Old 11-30-2011, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

In that case just tell them it is a 65 ford...
Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #298, 302 5 speed
Not Ranked     

This is a link to Il Sec of State web site. They registered my BDR and a 1965 BDR Roadster. How to Apply for Title and Registration for a Custom Vehicle and Street Rod
Their example for registration specifically talks about 1966 Cobra.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have sent all the info and receipts to the SOS and the latest request this morning is for the build dates of the factory crate motor and the build date of the tremec tko600. The purchase receipts are not enough.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

As a fellow Illinois resident I'm looking forward to how this plays out. I'll be going through this in the near future.

Good luck,

Arthur
Old 11-30-2011, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would give them some bogus numbers. Screw IL and all their corrupt crap.

I'll have to register the Kirkham this spring and looking forward to battling these goons :evillaugh:
Old 11-30-2011, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1454
Not Ranked     

Go to the currency exchange with your info and walk out with Plates.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS DAMSCH View Post
Go to the currency exchange with your info and walk out with Plates.
Could you explain more? I'm not familiar with that and sounds like a good alternative
Old 11-30-2011, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default registration

Two different SOS offices have directed me to the SOS police office in Springfield. It appears that a new policy in Illinois requires all specialty constructed vehicles go through the SOS police office for a temporary tag till an inspection of the vehicle by the SOS police can be done.
I understand the inspection for safety reasons to make sure a kit is properly constructed. I am just puzzled as to why the build dates of a crate motor and an aftermarket transmission have any relevance to the build.
Thankfully GM has provided me with the build date of my ZL-1 motor, and Tremec's tech line has provided me with the build date of the tko600. Hopefully this info will appease the SOS and get the process rolling.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

, ALL specialty build including" Kit Cars " are now under full review and going to currency exchange is not the answer . It may get reviewed at a later date . The best way is to go to the DMV office with picturies MSO and bill of sale and all receipts you can find and ask to sit with a DMV officer and they will walk you threw the steps that are needed including the safety inspection . Do not tell them it is anything like a 65 Ford or any ideas like that . If you have an accidents or get pulled over you ARE in deep SH##T. Your insurance is invalid , you registration in invalid and you are up a creek . Do the samething in securing you insurance . Now there is a challege down state to A- V plates being used on Kit Cars . Be careful , be honest with the DMV and you will get it done the right way.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

It would be helpful to know which State of Illinois branches have experience with the registration process. So if you've had good experiences with a specific branch, list the address here so we can head to that branch to get it done.

I live in the City of Chicago and I dread going to the Downtown State of Illinois building, which is 10 minutes from me, to accomplish this.

I would rather drive for half a day to talk to someone mannerd who knows how to manage the process. Does such an enlightened place exist?

In 1969 I built a car in Australia and I went through the painstaking process and was at the mercy of the arrogant and insulting police department. At each of the three inspections I went through, I experienced a grilling process at the whim of the individual officer, each who had a different opinion that I had to satisfy.

One of the tests that they did to my car was to jab a screwdriver into the floor of the car. If it punctured through you were SOL.

This and a few other encounters have scarred me for life. Each and every time I've had to go tor a police station, city or state office, I just cringe. And if you've ever gone to the Federal Immigration office you will find it even more shameful. But that's another story.

Hopefully someday before I die, I hope to have a good experience at a public office.

Arthur

Last edited by lal Naja; 12-02-2011 at 08:15 AM..
Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Ill Registration

The SOS offices in Lombard and Naperville can help, but they will just send all of the info to the Secretary of States Police office in Springfield. The phone # is 217 785-4690. They will direct you to a person named Nicholas.
I sent all of the (I thought) required paper work to him.
manufacturers certificate of origin, Shell valley's build sheet and paid receipt, Rochenbach's receipt for the crate motor, B2 motorsports receipt for the tko600, scattershield, flywheel, and clutch package. I also sent in the required tax form and check to cover taxes on all applicable out of state kit purchases (almost 40,000 dollars). I sent in the insurance info from Hagerty who has already insured the car. I also sent in a letter explaining the build.
after several (to me) confusing phone calls I was told to present the manufacturer build dates for the engine and transmission.
Also a check for title, license, registration fees.
All of the above have now been given to Nicholas at his springfield office.
I am waiting to see if this is enough to proceed.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000 w/CSXblock
Not Ranked     

Arthur
Sorry to read about your troubles.
I registered my CSX Cobra in 10/2006 as a 1965 Shelby Cobra w/the CSX number as the VIN.
I used the DMV office by the Chicago Superformance dealer as they are used to registering Cobras. Can't recall the location, but call the Superformance dealer and ask. You must go in-person!!! Do not mail things to Springfield.

You will need the the builders MSO/receipt along with the engine builder/installer receipt.
In addition, I had a member of the National Street Rod Association come to my house for the 'safety inspection' (basiclly paid him $20 for gas). This part of the process may have changed since 2006 but, you need this certificate at the DMV.

It was 3 hours of my life I will never get back, but there is no way else to get it done.
I got my title a few weeks later only to have them spell Shelby as 'Sheby.'

Regardless, it was titled as a 1965 Shelby Cobra VIN CSX xxxx.
Good luck.
Chris
Old 12-15-2011, 10:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can anyone give me the exact size of the VIN plate that the state attached to your car.

Are all the VIN plates the same size?

I want to design a stainless steel legend plate and have it engraved with the vehicle specifications. The legend plate will be permenantly mounted to the inner fender under the hood and I'm hoping that the state will attach the VIN plate to this legend plate.

Thanks, Arthur
Old 12-16-2011, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was told to not mount the Shell valley tags until the inspector came to look at the car. I guess that he will tell me where to mount these tags or give me other tags to mount to the frame and body.
I have been trying to work with the SOS office as much as possible to expidite the procedure.
It has been 2 weeks since I sent the last batch of requested info to Springfield and I am trying to be patient, but the state has cashed my tax check but not the title and registration check. I don't see how they can cash the tax check and not register the car. I don't believe the car is legally a taxable purchase until it is registered.
Logic and bureaucracy don't always go well together.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

HSC-Z11 , In answer to them cashing your check and not registering your car , Tax goes to a differant department than registation . This is why I said to walk into a DMV and ask for a title administrator who has handled Kit Cars before . Tell them you want to work with one person . Uninformed and under train employees is a halmark of the DMV and you need to ask for a title administrator. .
Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Could anyone in Illinois please let me know what the dimensions are on the VIN plate that the state has attached to your car.

And how is it attached. Tamper proof screws,? rivits.?

Thanks,

Arthur
Old 12-30-2011, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Registration

I am not sure if the state will give me new tags or use the Shell Valley tags sent to me by the kit manufacturer. I was told by the SOS police to not mount these tags until the inspector tells me where to mount the tags.
I have also just received a tax penalty from the state. I just found out that if the tax due for the kit is over $600 it has to be filed within 30 days of purchase. I've requested a waiver on the penalty since I was acting on information supplied by the Illinois SOS office from the time of delivery.
My last communication from the SOS this week requested that I list who built the frame and body on my build exlapanation letter. I guess that the MCO and the Shell Valley build sheets are not clear enough on these details.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tax penalty?? Looks like I'll be hit with this too. How is it calculated? I bought my body & frame in 1987. Had no idea that tax was due. How is the tax & penalty calculated?

Thanks, Arthur
Old 12-31-2011, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal Naja View Post
Tax penalty?? Looks like I'll be hit with this too. How is it calculated? I bought my body & frame in 1987. Had no idea that tax was due. How is the tax & penalty calculated?

Thanks, Arthur
I don't understand that penalty either.... I mean, the final price of the kits when we, as general cobra owners, pay for them, usually have taxes in there.

I hate this communist Illinois state I will be raising hell in the spring if they give me as much of a hard time as the original poster. Ridiculous.

OP, please keep us updated with your registration process, and let us knownif we can help at all.