LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2003, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default How dark is rangoon red?

I always thought rangoon red was almost a wine/maroon color...but I was looking at some pics of CSX 3035 (which is rangoon red) and it almost looks like a light red. Is this right?
Old 05-30-2003, 12:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blykins,

Check out cars for sale on "cobra country"there is a cobra , either a contemporary or a csx 4000 in ranggoon red.

KK
Old 05-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

Here's some photos of CSX3020.
The owner claims it's painted "Rangoon" red.

http://www.comfortcarconnection.com/...mp%20Cobra.htm
Old 05-30-2003, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for...I thought it was much darker than that though.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA; 351W
Not Ranked     

Here's another one in Rangoon red - but much darker. I've seen this one close up and personal, and it's a great color. If $$$ were no object, it'd be in my garage!

http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...furman-va2.jpg
Old 05-30-2003, 02:37 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Rangoon Red

I have seen Rangoon Red on restored Mustangs come up with a very noticable orange color in it. I have also seen two differant Mustangs in the same publication and one looks like a candy apple red and the other looks more orange even though they were both called Rangoon Red. I would check it out with the painter before spraying.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bly;

My 65 fastback is painted Rangoon Red, some pictures are on a thread in the DSCC section about the Pensecola car show.

I had just left the body shop I worked in for 14 years when I restored my car and wanted it the original colors. Could not find it in any of our color books,so I called the paint manufacter and they cross-referenced to a 94 or 95 Toyota color....

Do not remember it exactly,but I know it is written on the wall in the paint mixing room of that body shop as well as the reference for Wimbelton White..

If they do not have the paint formula in their charts they usually have a newer paint formula that is an exact match and can give you the cross reference...

David
Old 05-30-2003, 05:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
My 1965 Galaxie 500XL was rangoon red and it was not nearly as deep as I thought it would be My candy apple red Cobra is a lot deeper red. Both came from Ford painted this way so I could really see the difference especially while I still had both of them.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-30-2003, 05:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The other day I went to Wal-Mart and Auto-Zone looking for some touch-up paint for my car. All I could find was Candy Apple Red, bought a small tube of this and did some on some rock chips on my lower rear quarters. After putting it on it looked real good,an hour or so later when it dried,it looked real noticeable,way to light.... Got into my 17 year old daughters nail paint and polish kit and found a perfect match,sorry lable was unreadable,but with the little brush it is really easy to apply and looks real good....

Never thought of it,but would and will recommend to all getting ready to paint a vehicle,do this; take an empty nail polish bottle or empty one and wash it out real good as well as the brush,then give it to your painter and ask him to fill it up with the paint BEFORE he thins it out and paints your car,now you have the exact color and applicator for touch-ups... Wish I had done that with my car and I worked in a body shop 14 years and never thought of it,guess having all that paint around me ,thought I'd just mix some more when needed....

David
Old 05-30-2003, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 351W Tremec 2004 Cobra SVT Convertible
Not Ranked     

I had a 65 fastback Mustang GT Rangoon Red. It was an orange shade of red.
HOG
Old 05-30-2003, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is like the joke Why did the housewife cross the road? Who cares .....What was she doing outta the kitchen!

Cobras are supposed to be blue and that's all you need to know! :-)

JAY
Old 05-30-2003, 06:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

This site was posted on another thread:

Auto Color Library Online

Choose "Ford" and then "1964"...
...they have the paint chips from that model year, and you can see Rangoon Red is a deeper red than most cars claim.

Remember, your computer/monitor color may not replicate it exactly.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Ron, you do not cease to amaze. I pulled the color swatch pages you pointed to, and Wimbledon White is dead on, maybe a touch dark but a scanned in shot on a computer screen will not be 100% accurate anyway, so I have to think the red is close. If I had a say when they were naming it, I would have called it Wimbledon Beige. I go out of my way not to park next to white vehicles when I can to avoid the nasty remarks like, "Are you gonna wash that thing?"
Old 05-30-2003, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

My 289 is Rangoon Red. It is in no way any shade of orange. It is a non metallic medium dark red.

Rick
Old 05-31-2003, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

Rangoon red is close to the shade of an old coke machine,it's a fairly deep ,darkish red,,and is in NO way orangey,,thats Poppy red,,
in my opnion rangoon red is the only red for a cobra,,it is a 60's racing look red,,will turn a viper red 8 into a 10,,hehe
my opnion,,Tk

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 05-31-2003, 05:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Ok a question, No big arguments please.

It seems that some of the people think the Rangoon Red is lighter and others say it is darker. As I started above, my 1965 Galaxie was factory painted Rangoon Red and the 1969 Cobra was factory painted candy apple red. When parked side beside in the sun the candy apple red was noticeably deeper. I did not see any orange color in the Rangoon red however. The paint swatches that Ron posted the link to show the Rangoon red deeper than mine was. Could this have been something to do with the factory painting and who did which car ? Lets don't start a small block big block paint war over this. I am just wondering what different cars with the same color supposedly came out with different deepness in the color.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-31-2003, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I think it all has to do with technology over the years...or lack thereof.

I went the other day to get a half pint of Viking Blue so I could see what it looks like. It's pretty close to the pictures of original Cobras I have seen, but when they looked it up, it was available only as an acrylic enamel...no basecoat/clearcoat. They had an offset code for it...and when it was looked up (supposed to be a match) the color came up as GM Light Teal Blue. So go figure. I think this is what's happening...the colors are varying due to the cross-referencing.

All of the Cobras I have seen with rangoon red are a deeper red...no orange...no metalflake...no candyapple. The other user that it was close to the color of a coke machine is pretty much right. Now when I go back to PPG and see if they can match it, I'm sure they'll come up with another offset color. I mean come on, I was looking at a paint chip sheet from a 1962 Ford book....hehehe....

I'm having a real hard time deciding what color I wanna paint this thing. I'm definitely going to stick with an original color...so that leaves me with about 7 not counting the natural aluminum finish. I really like the Rangoon red, and I really like the Viking blue. I have to know now, so when I start to order other parts such as quickjacks, rollbars, sidepipes, etc... I know what color I want them in. Only certain combos look good to me...
Old 05-31-2003, 06:57 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

I guess I'll find out for sure as my car is in for paint and will be painted in the next couple of weeks.
The color : 1965 Ford Rangoon Red (Color code J)
The color is available from 3 sources according to my supplier:
Dupont # 4294
Ditzer (PPG) #71234
RM # A-1440-R
I am going with Dupont simply because of my painters brand preference and my suppliers recommendation.
Darker , redder, I don't know , but I know I'll love it.
Greg
Old 06-01-2003, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 351W Tremec 2004 Cobra SVT Convertible
Not Ranked     

I was at a car show this weekend and there was a Galaxy there 63-64 that was Rangoon Red. It was a dark shade of red with no orange tint. The 65 Mustang I had was Rangoon Red and had an orange tint. Probably was how the paint was mixed. If you can find the color you want on a vehicle a good paint supply place should have a camera that will take a picture of the paint and provide you with the formula to mix the paint to match. I have painted my motorcycle trailer a number of times with this method and it matched perfectly.
HOG