23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2003, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default cobra bodies

Hey guys, Im kinda a newbie here since i just sined up but have been looking at the cobra scene for 3 or 4 years now. I must visit this site 10+ times a day. I now have the opportunity to begin the dream of cobra ownership. After completing around 10k worth of ornamental ironwork for my parents they decide to fund the "dream". I thought this was kool of them since im only 19.I was hoping to do something along the lines of what Allen English did with his ffr and kirham body but can't find any info on how much the rebody was. If the rebody seems out of my pricerange(5k for body) ill look into fiberglass. I was wondering if you guys new of any manufactuers that might just sell me a body. Any suggestions on authenticity. Im basically looking for a real good looking semi authentic body for the moment sort of like a stage one. I also don't need it to have the trunk or cockpit tub. Any suggestions?
thanks guys
Old 07-05-2003, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

any ideas? thanks
Old 07-05-2003, 06:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

I believe the aftermarket Kirkham body kit has sold in the $9k - 10k range. It is a tube-and-hoop-supported body; the user has to adapt the mounting to the frame of choice. There is no 'cockpit tub'.

Tristates Motorsports has a very decent and accurate fiberglas body kit.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your response seems thats out of my price rage. Ive seen the tristates but haven't had any good pictures. Ill look into it further thanks again
Old 07-05-2003, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JLR,
Do yourself a favor and don't do a Cobra until you can afford a quality product. These are a really dangerous car when built correctly with the best parts. It will be a 2500lb car with a 90" wheelbase and DOUBLE the correct HP for size and weight. At 19 you really need more driving experience to make it to 21 in a Cobra.
PS I race cars at 200+ mph and know what it means to be scared.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your concern captian. I understand where your coming from. Most 19 yr old shouldn't be trusted with something that could ultimately end their lives and the lives of others. I also consider myself not your average 19 yr old. I've ownd a high powered mustang now going on 4 years. In these 4 years not one ticket ,accident, not even a warning( knock on wood).Hasnt even been to the track. Iv'e also been fortunate enought to be able to race shifters for some time know. Always with the greatest respect for both. Im not the type to street race or do burnouts or even speed. For me the car is more of an "cool toy" a form of functional art. It will probably spend more time getting washed then on the street.I enjoy the engineering aspect of it. For me the real fun is building and working on the car. As far as the quality i totally agree hell im the first guy to ***** when something isn't right. Perfectionist you could say.( Perfectionist to the point where i want to build everything myself. you do it urself u shure as heell know its done right. Im the one always thinking "i can do it better)". This along with the fact that iv'e worked in a machine shop for most of my life( i can tig,use cad/cam, machine, and work a lil bit ofsheetmetal)makes me comfortable with the idea of tackeling the project ( mabey i shouldn't be). I basically just want to start out with a body and see what happens from there. Thanks for your concern and look foward to all the help al need from this site
Old 07-05-2003, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

JLR
Contact Randy Hunter and he will be glad to build you a body with or without the inner liners. His body is very strong and light as they are hand laid vilylester. The body should be pretty inexpensive as his basic kit cost aroung 6 grand with the frame. He builds bodies for another kit car company that only has moulds for a Daytona Coupe.

http://www.hunterscobrakits.homestead.com/