21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2003, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SPF or Unique or ERA - are these the choices?

Can anyone point me to the most objective place (or provide information) to compare Unique, ERA or SPF? I "thought" I had settled on buying a new or used Superformance, but, was "educated" earlier that I should seroiusly consider Unique or ERA. Are these the three to consider or should I add or delete from the list. I know about Superformance but nothing about Unique or ERA?

I seriously have "Cobra" fever and seem to go one step forward and then take two steps back. For those that have been in my shoes....objective information or "direction" is appreicated!

Thanks in advance!

SDR
Old 07-21-2003, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

they are all good cars, but each is a bit different in execution and cost. You need to see one of each, check your wallet, decide how long you want to wait, and jump in.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 07-21-2003, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Hal is correct... You could do a lot worse than buying any one of the cars you mentioned...
I own a Unique but the ERA FIA is absolutely beautiful.. If I was in the market for a 427 model and the money was the same for all the brands mentioned, I'd opt for the ERA.
You can't miss on any one of those brands..
Everyone comments on the quality of the Unique and I'm thrilled with the car.
Always consider previously driven cars.. Low mileage and they are all labors of love. They hit the used market not because they are used and abused but rather the Cobras are the first thing to go when a house or baby comes along...
You cannot build one of these cars for what you can buy them for used...

al
Old 07-21-2003, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

SDR;
I feel your pain. I've been lurking around this site for over four years, I've been to Carlisle four times and visited most of the Cobra manufacturers and I just put my deposit down on a Unique kit. Don't rush it. Figure out just what you want and then go for it, but do your homework first. Good luck.
Bill Stradtner
Old 07-21-2003, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

SDR,

I assume you've visited the ERA website. If not, check it out. www.erareplicas.com. There's a ton of info about their cars there. If I had to do it over again, I'd do ERA again.

Chris
Old 07-21-2003, 07:20 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter FIA style body with Ford suspension, 351W/396 by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

One has trouble thinking clearly when he has a fever. Take your time to decide after riding in or preferably driving as many different Cobras as you can. Only then can you decide which brand is best for you. You'll find many Cobra owners who are willing to help you because we were all where you are now at one time. As was stated, there are many good used Cobras on the market for various reasons, and another reason for that is that many were bought in haste because someone had the "fever." Take your time, be an informed buyer, and you'll be a happy owner. There are many choices to make beside which manufacturer to buy from. Decide what you want your Cobra to be and then decide on which manufacturer. That's actually one of the easier decisions to make. This is not a decision that you will regret if you are careful and diligent and patient.

Good luck.

Bumpster
Old 07-21-2003, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bumster, man 'o man you have said it the best...."thinking clearly whith a fever".... I just sold my '99 911 Porsche Cabriolet to make room for a Cobra after I saw one on the pacific coast highway two months back and flagged the guy down. I then drove a Superformance the very next day at House of Cobra's and from that day I was "crazed". I put the Porsche on the market, took the first offer, put the cash in the bank and am now in the hunt.

I am very glad I found this web site as EVERYONE I have communicated with has been terrific! The honest (and sometimes very passionate) inputs are great. Thanks to everyone who continues to help me along. I will soon be in "my" Cobra ....I just need to find which one that is. Getting over the fear of makign a "bad" decision is probably the first hump.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 351W-stroked
Not Ranked     

SDR:
I know of an SPF for sale! 351W stroked to 396CI, 485 HP. Royal Blue w/White Stripes. This car is owned by an SPF employee and is loaded. He's asking 47K OBO. If you're interested, let me know.
Frank SPF #725
Old 07-21-2003, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 514 ci
Not Ranked     

Geez --- if you think THIS is tough wait until the Big Block / Small Block decision has to be made. LOL

IF you know what you want in a car, then the answer should start to become obvious. If it doesn't, then maybe it just doesn't matter and any car you mentioned would be a good choice. For the most part, you can look at what someone owns and tell what he / she thinks is the best. Most of us would do EXACTLY the same thing if we had to do it all over again. With this carefully constructed foundation, I can now be totally objective and tell you to buy the ONLY car that meets your high standards --- a Superformance. hehehehe.

Good luck on your adventure.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:24 AM
Senior Dragontamer
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

What about the Aluminum vs Fiberglass debate?
I know a few Kirkham owners that have the same $$$ in their cars as ERA owners.

SDR,
Consider a Kirkham. The cars are incredible and so are the people. What ever you decide, do your home work and visit all the manufacturers you are considering.
Jeff
Old 07-22-2003, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

SDR I picked Unique - It fit my budget (went a little over it), offered an FIA and allowed me to build in a short time frame with limited skills. I'm on the road and love it.
You won't go wrong with any of the three.

Randy
Old 07-22-2003, 06:11 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#389 427 so, gone to N.J./ Superformance "BROCK" Daytona Coupe SN 55
Not Ranked     

SDR, not enough space here to tell you what I went through when purchasing my first so if you would like to invest in a phone call I would be happy to share my thoughts with you. I got a tremendous amount of help and info from my friends at the Texas CC. on what to look for and how to judge the quality. I have an ERA, Unique (second one), and a Superformance on order so feel a tiny bit qualified to give some pros and cons. Would enjoy giving back some of what I got in the process to a future CLUB member and enthusiast.
Greg
817-946-6889
Old 07-22-2003, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Two more choices in the high-end:

Pegasus Performance - they sell super-decked-out versions of the Shell Valley replica.

Shelby - a 'real' Cobra. It's built much the same as the others, but it's officially a COBRA.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

U-2 Driver is right. Kirkhams are not that much more expensive.

I'm no expert.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:20 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Now, while I'm a little biased (as my car is for sale), do not overlook the Contemporary Cobras (mine or others like it) as well....In it's heyday, they were ranked up there as #1 & #2 with the ERA's as the top of the market. If it was not for the meddling of Burtis (who's parents supposedly bought him the company so he had something to do), they would still be there...............

Bill S.

PS: You can see detailed information on the Contempoary and the company in general off my web site:

http://www.bills2.us/cobra.html

Click on the "Click here for Factory Tech and Sales Sheets:" for the articles and such on the cars in general...............

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default ?'s

What is your budget? What is the intended use? What qualities/attributes are most important to you?

The three you list, you will not go wrong with any of them. There are so many good cars being made.

Don't ignore the used market. There are some good deals available. Check here and on Cobra Country. The more assembly that is required from that manufacturer the more you need to look at the quality of the builder.

Take your time and find a local group and get together with them.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 07-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

#1. ERA. Best aesthetics. In a turnkey its fit and finish is top shelf. ERA is very responsive to customers and always helpful.

#2. Spf. Good product. Consistent quality car to car. New cars are available right away as opposed to long wait for ERA.

#3. Unique. Nice car but not as nice as the other two IMHO.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Same advice I give to anyone in your situation. Sit in, ride-in and drive (if at all possible) any of the cars you are considering. Many times that will make the decision for you. These cars are for driving, not for looking at. If you can't fit in it, then it will not be a pleasant experience for you. Trust me, they are NOT all the same comfort wise (everyone marvels at the comfort of my ERA seats).

If it creaks and shakes over bumps, you will not trust it at its limits. If the details have a cheap look to it, then it probably is. . . cheap! What parts are you getting with each kit? What will you need to buy to finish it? Look at them long and hard and don't be swayed by propaganda or flashy chrome.
Charlie
Old 07-22-2003, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ERA : Great product and Great People. Lower production so they seem to hold their value a bit better than most. Most ERAs are top notch builds with very high quality fit and finish.

Superformance: Great product and Great Dealers. Very consistant quality because they are "production" cars. Easy to buy new or used without a wait so value is a bit softer than ERA. Owners group I hear is also fantastic.

Unique: One of the best cars for guys who like to build them. The Weaver family has an outstanding reputation. Because most are built by home builders quality varies greatly between cars. This IMHO hold down values.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Talking mrmustang

I was looking at yur pictures, very nice car.

http://www.bills2.us/cobra.html

However, I saw that thing on yur carburetor (shield looking thingy) reminded me of the lamp shade my dog has to wear to keep from scratching his ears

Just ribbin ya!......very nice car

Eric