23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default On saying goodbye to Old Red...

You guys will understand. A few minutes ago, my Contemporary left on a trailer on its way to its new owner in the San Diego area. Had the video camera on, and ironically, as she went down the road, the last view I had of her was the same as the first time I saw a 427 S/C some 38 years ago. No car ever made has a rump that looks so fine. None. My wife and kids were almost as devastated as I was/am. Never wanted to sell the car that had been such a big part of our lives for the past seven years. Meeting great new friends through the NorCal SAAC and the Bay Area chapter of ClubCobra. Learning how to drive at open track events, progressing over the years, having the best times of my life. But, due to a number of factors, there was no choice but to let her go. As with all close relationships, Old Red and I went through great times, and some not so great times. It was all worth it. She had a great heart; she always did her best. Took her out on the open road one last time this morning, went through the gears with gusto for one last time. She loved it, and I loved it, and damned if she wasn't saying to me, "please let me stay." Damn fellas this hurts deep in my guts. There is nothing like a Cobra (original, or replica); it grabs you viscerally like no other car. It demands respect. But if you give it that respect, it repays you like nothing else on four wheels.

I hope the new owner loves and cares for her like I have--I'll always love her. Someday I will have another one. But there will never be another Old Red, never.

TT
Old 08-02-2003, 11:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I,,,,, ,,,,,,hear you man,

I KNOW the feeling. I sold my Cobra and missed her SO much I wouldn't rest until the guy sold it back to me. I guess one day things will change and I will have to eventually sell her again. A day I don not look forward to.

Ernie
Old 08-02-2003, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

I feel your pain.

Still not over the Butler leaving some six months ago...and I even know and converse with the crazy basturd who bought her (Yo Freddie ).

Even the wonderful tin can can't replace her...
Old 08-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. That's the thing about these cars, if you've spent a lot of time with one over the years, it's as much or even more about the memories together as the car itself.

TT
Old 08-02-2003, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

TOM,
I TOO KNOW YOUR FEELING...IT DOES TAKE TIME. YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE GOOD TIMES AND FRIENDS THAT THE CAR GAVE YOU, AND US. SOMEONE GOT ONE HELL OF A DEAL. ILL ALWAYS HAVE THE MEMORIES WE SHARED AT THUNDERHILL AND SEARS. I HOPE YOU CONTINUE OPEN TRACK WITH THE "BRAND X". SEE YOU AT MINI NATS? GOT AN INVITE FOR THE VINTAGE RACE, STILL THINKING ABOUT IT. WOULD BE FUN TO RUN WITH EPPSIN, GIMBLE,MASON,PARK AND KOPEC. AM STAYING AT "SEARS".HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON.
TERRY
Old 08-02-2003, 02:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom T

Wow, that has gotta hurt! ...time to time When things get messy I have considered it.......but giving up my misstress .....well I may exchange her , but I cant imagine what other ride could replace a Cobra..I hope one day soon you get another....then you can again say....... "what the hell did I do this for!!" ...

Hey Tom ,you arent going to leave the board are you ?

KK
Old 08-02-2003, 02:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Hey Tom...

I know you made the decision long ago to pass Old Red onto another caretaker. But actually seeing her go has definitely gotta hurt. I'm really glad you took her out to say good bye.

On the positive side, you made a lot of good friends and had a lot of good times because of your choice to be Old Red's caretaker. Her memories will always be in your blood. Enjoy them. No one can take those away...

See you at Mini-Nats...

Sincerely,
Randy R...
Old 08-02-2003, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Tom T,
We never got a chance to meet face to face while you had yours and I had mine.
We may have to take a cab and meet somewhere in San Rafael for a cup of coffee.

I hope you never get over it!

TURK
Old 08-03-2003, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

TomT Here we go again. WHY SELL a car that is costing you NOTHING and it sits in the garage. It's all paided for. I have my first car(jeep CJ5) my 2nd truck 85 chevy, my 79 Trams Am with the 400 4 spd gold no T-Tops, and my 2nd bike Honda 1100F 83. Money is always tight. I live in a small house in one of the fastest growing areas in middlesex county. Average house is going for 399,995 on a 1/4 lot. I am a packrat as per my girlfriend of 15 years. I am royal to people and things that are royal to me. My cobra is worth 60K and if someone offered 75K I would still NOT SELL IT. It is part of the family. There are alot of ways to save money when times are tight. WE just don't want too. You could take the car off the street and drop the insurance for a year. Just race it or go to a track event only. I sure your reason is warrantted. Sorry for the loss. Hey Tom say Hi to my uncle He lives in Navato too Peter Lake and cousins Sean and Brain. Thanks Rick Lake. ps down the road buy another one, it is better to not have, than to have and miss.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Turk, do you mean you don't have the new CSX car now?

Rick, come on out to Northern California if you want to see real estate madness. It was a tough decision, but necessary. It'll work out in the end.

Tom
Old 08-03-2003, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Multiply resurrected Superformance #584 (silver), 351W : 437 lb-ft, 445 HP
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Thanks for the Memories...

Tom,

And I had hoped to drive up to Novato and have coffee with you at the downtown (small area) coffee shop...with our two Cobras parked outside. Well, now how about that coffee with our two Cobra memories parked in our mind?

I, like you, am a Cobra guy for the rest of my life and want to stay in touch with you, whether or not you are driving one.

All the best,
Randy Klein
Old 08-03-2003, 03:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Randy,

Thanks for the kind thoughts. So, did you really resurrect your Cobra, or get another one?

Tom
Old 08-03-2003, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Multiply resurrected Superformance #584 (silver), 351W : 437 lb-ft, 445 HP
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Resurrection---all over the place

Hi Tom,

Mariaah is actually spread all over the place in several different Cobras. So, when I say resurrected, I mean in that way. No I don't yet have a replacement. Sometime though....

All the best,
Old 08-03-2003, 06:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

She's been transmogrified!

See ya,

TT
Old 08-03-2003, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Madness

TomT Yeah Tom I know my aunt and uncle Are working 2 jobs each. They bought there town house on a man made lake back in the 84-85 year and paided 350k They love the place. I have seen pictures of the place and it is nice, but not 350 nice for a town house. Weather is super unless mud slids or forest fires burn the place down. You people are just a plum off center for me. I am only going to Cali. one time to see the Dick Smith cobra and the Lynn Park collection. I might stop and see my aunt and uncle Rick Lake
Old 08-04-2003, 12:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Tom,
What I mean is I don't have the "Old" CSX anymore.
I have the "NEW" CSX.
Confusing for sure. that's why I suggested a cup of coffee,next time I am there.
I have been spending a lot of time in San rafael varnishing my boat and will be easy enough to hook up next time I am there.

TURK
Old 08-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Turk, that'd be great. Would like to see the boat. Will drive Brand X car. :<)

TT
Old 08-04-2003, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

TomT: I know just about what you feel: My Cobra has been in the shop, sometimes for weeks at a time, and just going out to the garage and seeing that garage Cobra-less, just makes me want to drive it more often every time I get it out of the shop! Rick Lake: When are you coming out to sunny SoCal?

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.