Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   I Hate Rust!!! Kmp275 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/44126-i-hate-rust-kmp275.html)

David Kirkham 08-06-2003 04:19 PM

I Hate Rust!!! Kmp275

1 Attachment(s)
Fellow Car Nuts:

I hate rust, so I thought I'd do something about it. Seems the only way to prevent rust was to go to Austria and purchase some stainless steel tubes...I waited a long time for these cars.

Photo is of the engine compartment of KMP275:

I need some feed back from the Nut House on what you all think...please.

This car will be for sale at Silver Auctions in Reno for Hot August Nights on Saturday Night.

Notice the latest hiem-jointed front lower control arms. Rear upper control arms are slated to be all heim-jointed, billet 7075 T-6 to match the front. The prototype rear upper arm just came out of the mill--and as we speak I can hear the CNC humming away on the final pair. Will post pics for all who are interested.

David
:) :) :)

David Kirkham 08-06-2003 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic of the nose by the radiator of KMP275.

David Kirkham 08-06-2003 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic of the right front suspension fo KMP275.

TomH 08-06-2003 04:40 PM

Breathtaking!

southernfriedcj 08-06-2003 04:41 PM

Kewl! Will this be an option in the future?

Chaplin 08-06-2003 04:43 PM

That looks exceptional

Allan A 08-06-2003 04:48 PM

Maybe in Utah but overkill in CA:D

shaps 08-06-2003 04:48 PM

Awesome!!!

Jamo 08-06-2003 05:05 PM

You guys are finally learning how to do things. :LOL:

Wow!;)

tim 08-06-2003 05:20 PM

How does the stainless you are using compare to the mild steel of the previous frames in tensile strenth and yield? Being in the metal working field myself, I know the general public thinks SS is better than mild steel, when in reality it is not as strong (depending on the grades). SS is tougher, a lot TOUGHER!! and harder to machine, but it welds great.
I really like what you have done with the frame. If it is worth doing in $$$ and strength then I say go for it.
Tim

aumoore 08-06-2003 05:28 PM

At least you do not have to paint it. That should offset some of the extra cost.

Slow Dawg 08-06-2003 05:29 PM

David, that's gorgeous! Got any openings up there?%/

Ron

TomH 08-06-2003 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Allan A

Maybe in Utah but overkill in CA:D

Stainless. Overkill in a Cobra? :eek: I'm shocked.

This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

weekendwarrior 08-06-2003 06:21 PM

Beautiful Work!!!!

David has the SS been electro polished?

Brent Mills 08-06-2003 06:26 PM

You wanna trade for mine? Only partially kidding..... :)

Absolutely beautiful!!!

BT SNAKE 08-06-2003 06:41 PM

HOLY CRAP!!!!! I can't believe my luck ! I had full intentions of approaching the Aluminum boys about a stainless chassis. I come home from golf and read this. David, all I can say is wow! I thought perhaps I was going to be the first with the stainless chassis. well, I gues I'll just have to settle for second or third.
David, I do hope you plan to do this for the customers that want it cause when I'm a customer, I WANT IT !!!.

Now lets talk about how easy it would be to stick a C4 vette rear under that thing...:rolleyes: :3DSMILE: :LOL:

Hersh:)

mrmustang 08-06-2003 07:41 PM

I need to hit the lottery

ToyCollector 08-06-2003 07:48 PM

Wow David. Your timing is perfect. Days away from dropping in the motor and now this. Is it too late for an even trade on KMP249 with 0 miles? ;) :LOL:

Lew Ledyard 08-06-2003 07:50 PM

I want the same deal TC gets!

csx700? 08-06-2003 08:36 PM

very nice looking frame. your going to put the paint and powder coaters out of work in you keep going like this.