Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   And the lucky streak continues..... (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/44315-lucky-streak-continues.html)

Brent Mills 08-12-2003 11:51 AM

.....And the lucky streak continues.....

Drove into work today and all was good until I got off the highway and noticed it was idling rough....Then at the light taking off, it was worse.....Let it idle for a moment and pulled spark plug wires....#4 doesn't seem to be doing anything at all....Plenty of spark though.

I quit!

Jamo 08-12-2003 12:07 PM

Dateline: Seattle, Wash.

A disgruntled Microsoft employee has taken over the observation deck at the Space Needle, armed with numerous assualt weaponry. Thus far, the only injuries reported were by two downtown employees who reported being struck by automotive engine sparkplugs and small pieces of perfectly cut aluminum sheets. A local news helicopter pilot is also seeking counseling due to trauma received when he witnessed a "full moon" of the "whitest a** I ever saw" when he flew in close to allow videotaping of the person.

Bill Gates, when told of the situation, stated that "I have alot of strange muthaf**kers working for me. And, by the way, PeteK is a fool alot of the time."

A reported phone call to a local radio station by the so-called Space Needle Mooner indicated that he was having problems with a pet snake.

Local snake owners have begun picketing at the base of the Space Needle with signs stating "Snakes Need Love Too" and "Have You Hugged Your Snake Today?"

mrmustang 08-12-2003 12:09 PM

Brent,

Could there be a lack of fuel? Bad fuel pump? dirt in the fuel line? Could it be a bad spark plug? Could it have jumped time? Could the distributor be loose? Could it be a bad set of points? Just some of the simple things to look at......Also, when you get home, do a compression check just to be on the safe side....

mrmustang 08-12-2003 12:11 PM

Almost forgot, the vulture inside of me wants to offer you $100 for it....Paid in cash (small unmarked, nonsequential bills)....

Bill S.

Ron61 08-12-2003 12:59 PM

Brent,

I know it isn't funny and is really frustrating to you, but your saga of getting the cobra to run is almost comparable to BIBs when he was trying to get his. I just spun a rod bearing in my big block yesterday and am looking at a major problem also. Thank God for small blocks as mine have did well so far.

Ron :CRY: :CRY:

xlr8or 08-12-2003 01:11 PM

Brent,
Just drive it into the ocean and order a Kirkham. :LOL:

On the serious side, sorry to hear the saga continues. I hope it is something minor.

NeedAntiVenom 08-12-2003 01:27 PM

Brent,

Leave the plug out - it only goes 12.5% slower - just press harder. ;) If you have seven more "bad days" you might want to get it looked at...

Best of Luck,

Jim

CowtownCobra 08-12-2003 01:27 PM

Brent,

You pulled #4 wire and checked for a spark off of it, did you check #4 plug? Maybe you fouled that plug?:JEKYLHYDE

Brent Mills 08-12-2003 04:05 PM

Good stuff Jamo. :)

Bill, I don't think it's any of those things and I'm pondering the $100 offer.

Ron, with all the troubles I have had, I doubt BiB has any idea how crappy owning my Cobra can be.

xlr8or, I like your idea.

Jim, that's a good way to look at it.....Although those 7 days would probably be all in order.

Dave, I had spark on that wire. Will pull plugs tonight after work in the parking garage (Oh joy). AAA loves me, as I ask for a tow every other week.

PatBuckley 08-12-2003 04:13 PM

Brent-

Don't even think of feeling bad until you have pulled the spark plug out and checked it.

Is it smoking at all?

Pat

By the way - who built it?

427sharpe 08-12-2003 05:33 PM

Replace the plug as part of your troubleshooting. If it still runs the same, try squirting a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinder and trying again. Maybe you have lost ring seal and you can restore it. If this fixes it, watch your carburation, as you may be 'washing' the cylinders in gas.

David Kirkham 08-12-2003 05:50 PM

Brent,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Anything we can do to help? How about that trade in?

David:) :) :)

Excaliber 08-12-2003 05:55 PM

Bummer,,,,,,,I'm pulling for you. Hang in there buddy. Hopefully it's just a minor set back.

Ernie

Dan Semko 08-12-2003 05:57 PM

Brent,
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Have you contacted Turk and asked him what he'd give you on a trade in for say....a REALLY nice Eurospec'd 930 Turbo?;) He's vulnerable right now, make him an offer he can't refuse. Remember he's a car salesman!!

petek 08-12-2003 07:51 PM

Jamo... BITE ME! :)

(And since I can't make it to the Historics ... "Look for the Union Label"; grape farm workers of Americal Unite!, together brothers in struggle, ... and a whole mess more union shyt!)

And Brent, what ever you find, it was Jamo's fault! :)

Turk 08-12-2003 10:13 PM

Brent,
It is time for you to abandon this site and go mix it up with the people on the Club Hot Rod forum.
They probably care.

Us on the other hand would soon laugh at you (with you) than help.

How about an outfit similar to BiB's?

They are not as uncomfortable as they look.

TURK
Send a large check to George, sit back for few months and take up quilting, chess or something else, while he builds you an engine that will at least run for two months.

mrmustang 08-13-2003 03:16 AM

Brent,

So what did the plugs tell you????? Pulled mine last night after having a bit of a stumble, found out I fried one of them during my stint in a parade a week ago (oil and water temp way over 240 degrees)..............Flushed the cooling system(I don't see why as I am replacing my water pump this week just to be on the safe side), changed the oil, put new AR27 Autolites, and I am good to go............

Bill S.

Hal Copple 08-13-2003 04:24 AM

brent, maybe your poor running is more than just having ignition on 7 cylinders. the other day, on a stroked Windsor, i needed some "room" for a minor tweak, unhooked one spark plug wire, and i could not tell it by starting or idling at all. I suspect it would have been noticable down on power if i had gone out and driven it, but in the driveway, i only noted the disconnected spark plug wire later.

It is reasonable to pull that plug and see if for some reason it is bad, but modern igntions will fire some pretty failed/fouled plugs.

On some motors, our group has found that the bolt that holds the "hold-down" bracket on the distributor base hits the bottom of the bolt hole before it snugs down the distributor, allowing the distributor to rotate slightly, mis-timing the engine. Some of us have put a washer under the bolt, i put in an ARP stud, less wear on the block threads that way.

The first thing i would do, after checking that plug, and perhaps putting on a temporary plug wire, is to re-check your timing, and check the bolt hole depth on the hold down for the clamp.

Wish you wll, and let us know as it goes.

CowtownCobra 08-13-2003 06:16 AM

Yes, if the plug was indeed fouled, then it has to be determined WHY is it fouled...

boxhead 08-13-2003 07:05 AM

Make sure you try swapping the plug leads to see if the miss goes to the cylinder that had #4 lead on it.
I have seen leads fail, but still provide a good spark when holding them near an earth point. Life is different for a spark trying to ignite a spark plug in the volatile atmosphere we call combustion chambers.