Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2003, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Heading the 289FIA route, ERA is the choice du jour
Not Ranked     
Default Is it just my imagination

I've been looking at my copy of the Cobra buyer's guide, and flipping between pictures of the Kirkham, the ERA, and the Superformance 427's. Is it just my imagination (or the photo), or is the rear fender well cut lower on the Superformance than the others?

In other words, if you measured from the peak of the rear fender "hump" down to the lip of the rear wheel well, it looks to me like the Superformance would be about 2" lower. (Or, try this: draw a line along the top of the door line toward the rear of the car. The ERA and Kirkham rear wheel wells appear to me to come up higher.)

If this is the case, which is correct? I suspect Kirkham & ERA.

Am I seeing things?

Doug
Old 09-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Send a message via AIM to Tinker51
Not Ranked     

You will find that each manufacturer has a slightly different shape. There is a web page that has pictures of the various types for a virtual side by side comparison but I can't recall what it is. Perhaps someone else here knows it. The SPF fender seems ever so slightly taller and does not turn down as much as some other cars. As for who is most authentic, who knows. A friend from a car club had three origionals, none of them were exactly like the others. Maybe someone with more knowledge than mine can step in here and shed some light.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think I've found the comparison link which you were referring to on the ERA site:

http://www.erareplicas.com/427/profiles/index.htm

You're right, each manufacturer has a slightly different take on the body shape.

SPF makes a nice car. I've seen a number of them, and have driven one. Any ERA owners in the Bay Area? I'd like to compare SPF and ERA side by side.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well FFR has a "unique" shape, pehaps that comes from a different "era".

Ernie
Old 09-18-2003, 11:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

DKing,
Your observations are spot on. The SPF fenders are extended down further and wrap closer to the tire in more of a circular fashion from 8:00 to 4:00. The ERA, Kirkham/Shelby, Unique leave the tire more exposed - all in different ways too. The fender/flare shapes and the lip of the fenders are different when comparing them all side-by-side. The ERA site makes reference to street flares vs. SC flares, which are quite different on ERAs alone. To me, part of what makes it fun and interesting is the fact these cars are all a little different out there in their own suttle ways...

Wait to you start comparing overall shape, body curves, side-pipe mounting height, road height, ground clearance, cowl and rear deck height, etc between all these cars. Decisions, Decisions, Good Luck.

Last edited by decooney; 09-18-2003 at 11:44 PM..
Old 09-19-2003, 01:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like a little flair at the bottom of the fender lip over the tire. My Excal doesn't have that. But I don't like TO much. It really is a personal call. I also like the wheels more exposed, the rear fenders cut a little higher.

If I was going to make one (a body) I'm sure I would take a little "cue" from this one and that one in the end! I wouldn't go so far as to say I like them "all", but I like MOST of them! I have seen some Cobras that DID leave me scratching my head!

Ernie
Old 09-19-2003, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I find that I'm more attracted to what I consider "sleek" looking Cobras. They use the original wheel base (90"), and are lower to the ground than other replicas, have less exaggerated curves, and high cut wheel wells --- pretty much like the originals. They also have a nice rake to them (slightly lower in front) that gives them that 'mean' stance. ERA, Kirkham, Shelby are the ones that come to mind, for me. In factory photos, SPF's always look too highly stanced for my taste (though, I know the suspensions are adjustable). Don't get me wrong, love those SPF's!

-dking