Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   USED SPF's (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/45493-used-spfs.html)

Dan Semko 09-20-2003 07:20 AM

tz1238,

You're a bright fellow and have a good perspective on life. I hope that you find the cobra that satisfies your dreams. It's a pleasure to read that someone values memories more than their portfolio. Welcome to the cobra family.;)

Lowell W 09-20-2003 01:28 PM

TZ,

Ditto Dan's sentiments. I hope you find the Cobra you like at a price that maks you happy and that you enjoy it as much as you've enjoyed your boats. If you enjoy your car half as much as I do mine, you'll be a very happy guy!

Welcome.

Alex Donghi 09-20-2003 01:45 PM

Excaliber
I bought a 1916 Parker 20 ga shotgun from a guy 12 yrs ago hes still begging to buy it back
Turk
my last Range Rover was 28 mos old they offered me 21k on a trade in did I say it was my 'last RR'
Hal
When the wife first saw the SPF she said we ought to name it. I said we could call it the beach house. Her reaction....'gees don't spoil this for me' :LOL:

decooney 09-20-2003 02:06 PM

argo,

IMO: Supply both new and used, Demand, and Time-of-Year seems to dictate the "SOLD" price; especially for the more common / popular makes - including SPFs.

e.g. 1994 Vipers. As soon as they came out, movie stars were paying 275K to 500K to be one of the first to own one. Last year they were getting soft, Mid 30K range on an RT/10. Now that the old body style is not being made any more, and the new one is fairly expensive, the price sort of stabilized a bit and in some cases started going back up. Is it going up or down, or what?. Hard to say. Weird. Same thing seemed to happen with early version SPFs, then the newer/upgraded ones came out, and the used price was up again for a while. Advertised price is one thing, ACTUAL selling price is another. Its hard to tell with some of these cars unless you know for fact what they really sold for.

I still think an SPF on average is a better used resale / return-on-investment than other cars like Vettes, Vipers, BMWs, Porsches, etc. In the Cobra realm, SPFs hold their value really well - even with today's economy. I wouldn't be worried about fads, or new entries. The SPF is a good car and a great value no matter what, and buyers seem to know that. Keep in mind, the production numbers on these cars are much less than mainstream cars.

lotusmk9 09-20-2003 04:20 PM

Hi agro1. I can appreciate your desire to have a swimming pool especially here in So. California. But check with your local real estate agent; a pool will not retain its' value. It will only add 1/4 to 1/3 of its' cost to the value of a home when sold. Howard

Johninrsf 09-20-2003 04:45 PM

Argo,
I have a swimming pool I'd love to trade you for your SPF. The pool is in great condition, has had almost zero use, and is just sitting there waiting for someone to become infatuated with it for a few months.
Isn't that the way it is with pools generally? I don't know anyone who has had a swimming pool for any length of time who uses it. It's just decor. And, frankly, as decor goes, the SPF in the garage, makes the house look better, IMHO.
AS to the SPF, you need to get out to the track more, Bud. You built a high compression motor that requires 100+ octane. Get that baby out to the track. and have some fun. The excitement of blowing off a few Vipers, Z06s and Porsches will cause thoughts of pool-time to fade.
JP

Great Asp 09-20-2003 04:47 PM

No Koolaid yet!

That 30K SPF was a "140" serial number, like "really" old. The first "1" in the serial number on the old chassis was silent. So 1140 on the frame and MSO was 140 to us that track such things.

Although the car had some nice upgrades on it, it was still an older car.

If you look to buy a used SPF, it becomes an issue of what series car you will settle for. For instance, my car 1380 still has the brake calipers for the parking brake, but right at 1490 or so, Superformance went to a parking brake that clamps the input of the 8.8 rear. This is a big improvement and although SPF did not charge more for the cars, it is a desirable (sp?) upgrade.

The age of the other car just shows what a couple others have stated about almost every "specialty" car right now. I know Harleys here in town have taken a hit.

You guys play nice! %/

Eric :MECOOL:

One more thing, that listing on e-bay had "one" bidder. I did not see the car, but strange that it only had one bidder (IMO)

CowtownCobra 09-20-2003 04:55 PM

Let me second the caution about pools. Having both a Cobra and the pool, I can can tell you the Cobra has held its value much better than the pool. Don't get me wrong, I love having a pool. Don't know what you have in mind, but my Cobra cost twice what the pool did...

casaleenie 09-20-2003 05:11 PM

Just an observation...
I don't see the FFR, Comtemporary, Everett-Morrison,Unique, Shell Valley, A and C, Lone Star,etc..owners involved in these "hold it's value" debates. They seem to be happier, more at peace with their selection than the SPF and CSX crowd..
Maybe that alone is worth a ton of money.. Contentment and not worrying what their cars will be worth tomorrow is added value.
I've always told my wife that if she had to sell her jewelry and only gets 25% of what we paid for it, she did well.. We bought it for her enjoyment and mine... We never had any intention of selling it...
My usual .04 cents worth...

luv ya

Woodz428 09-20-2003 06:49 PM

Well said, and a point I'm in full agreement with.:)

G.R. 09-20-2003 07:43 PM

tz1238,
Welcome and good luck on your search for the perfect Cobra for you. Also "moved ashore and swallowed the anchor" after 15 yrs, cruising and sailing, and moved on to my 2nd dream--never thought of a boat as an investment, nor do I think of a Cobra as one--what they both bring to your inner happiness is worth the price:)

agro1 09-21-2003 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Johninrsf

Argo,
I have a swimming pool I'd love to trade you for your SPF. The pool is in great condition, has had almost zero use, and is just sitting there waiting for someone to become infatuated with it for a few months.
Isn't that the way it is with pools generally? I don't know anyone who has had a swimming pool for any length of time who uses it. It's just decor. And, frankly, as decor goes, the SPF in the garage, makes the house look better, IMHO.
AS to the SPF, you need to get out to the track more, Bud. You built a high compression motor that requires 100+ octane. Get that baby out to the track. and have some fun. The excitement of blowing off a few Vipers, Z06s and Porsches will cause thoughts of pool-time to fade.
JP

Johninrsf - Your pool sounds very similar to my SPF :) What you forget is that you're probably twice my age ;) thus, I tend to use a pool far more than you would (like at my old house), as would my friends; it would not turn into simple decor. The Cobra didn't... My motor no longer runs on 100 octane only, btw...Since we had the same engine builder, I wanted to make sure I didn't end up like you with a rod through my oil pan at Willow :( thus, I had it re-worked by a local guy I happened upon and it now runs better than it ever did, on pump gas stomping out about 550 (flywheel) hp.

Unfortunatly, I haven't had the time this season to make it out to the track. With buying a house (not far from you), work, travel and getting the "new" motor done I've had (hate to admit it) more important things on my mind. I'll see ya out there next season after I sell the SPF, build the pool and get me a late model NASCAR roller that my new engine guru will outfit for me :D :D Much better suited as a "track" car...Take care.

Johninrsf 09-21-2003 08:49 PM

Agro:
OK, you can have your pool, and I am twice your age, but I never used the pool, even when I was younger!
Good to hear from you --been wondering what you've been up to. What city is the new house in?
AS to SPFs, I've had mine at the track for about 25 days this year. IN fact, I'm going tomorrow and Tuesday. This time of year we're at our lake house in North Idaho and Spokane Raceway Park is only 45 miles away. It has a 9/10ths mile front straight that the Cobra loves (check out their WEB site under their full name.com). I get very close to 150 mph before I hit the brakes for turn #2 (#1 is a little wrinkle). The Cobra rules SRP so far, dusting off a lot of Corvettes, Vipers, Porsches and BMWs. But, regardless, they're a great group of guys at the track and we all have lots of fun.
JOhn Jr. and I have decided to get 2 Porsche GT3s, which we have on order for March delivery, but I've decided I will never sell the SPF. In addition to being the King of the Track, it is the most beautiful and most exciting car I have ever driven, and I would be very sad not to see it in my garage each day. My wife says it's a Fung Shwei (Sp?) thing. The first thing you see when you come home at the end of the day should make you feel happy. In my case, when I pull into the garage, it is the SPF!!!
IN addition, I've found owning the SPF an entree to meeting some of the nicest car afficianados I've ever known.
I'm sorry you have to sell yours, but good luck on your new purchases.
JP

Alex Donghi 09-22-2003 06:20 PM

SPF now has a different parking brake?? Can it be retroed? Yhe one thats in 821 is about useless

Dan Semko 09-22-2003 06:29 PM

Alex,
Yes it can be retrofitted and it works exceptionally well. I don't know what the dealers price on parts are, so give them a call.;)

agro1 09-22-2003 06:40 PM

John - It's nice to hear your enjoying your car so much, I can't think of any other way to do it...And the fact that you track it so much is fantastic. I'm also glad CHP made things right with your motor. Now, are you gonna take the GT-3 out there ??? That thing ought to give the SPF a run for it's money. If your in SD give me a call, especially when you get the GT-3, I'd love to see that beast. Take care man -

Alex - "About useless" - Mine was so useless I removed it. Just added weight ;) I'm sure the SPF dealers can do a retrofit with the new parking brake.

Carroll DeWeese 09-23-2003 05:52 AM

I did not have my SPF built for resale. I hope never to have to sell it. I went in assuming that I would never again see a penny of what I put into it. I treat all expenses as "sunk costs." That way, if I ever have to sell, whatever I get is a plus.

Virtually all cars lose value until years pass and fewer and fewer are available. Even then only a few cars are viewed as truly desireable and able to command premium prices. If a person is thinking of investments, much better ways exist than replica cars to potentially make money.

If you are going to invest in cars then invest in classic originals. You will pay top dollar but you probably will over time be able to sell at even higher dollars. Everything else about car appreciation is a crap shoot.

I love my car. It is a joint project of my wife and myself. It has opened up a new world of people and activities to us. It makes us happy every time we see or use it. It is "priceless." It is a keeper. As long as we keep it, all changes in value are "paper" gains and losses.

SPF is a great car. It is not perfect, but no car is. It is great value for the money. It holds value well because its quality and content are known and predictable. Some Cobra replicas are much more variable and are thus discounted more when resold. Even so virtually all Cobras are great value for the money compared to other alternatives in the marketplace. Where else can you get such a beautiful vehicle with such a power to weight ratio and all that goes with it?

Think twice before either buying or selling one of these cars. They are not for everybody, but that is part of their appeal. Do not view them at any time as an investment. Treat them as a cost and enjoy them to the full.

Turk 09-23-2003 08:12 AM

Carroll,
I have to disagree with you.
EVERY car, without exception will be worth MORE than it originally sold for. That goes for ALL cars.
I know of no exception to this. It is all a matter of time.

I would be willing to bet a 1985 Cherolet Citation is worth more today than it was when it sold new, providing it is in collector condition.In 1985 it would have been proposterous to think that.I know...I was there.

Even a lowly Dodge Neon will be worth more one day as a collectible. it is a matter of time.
The VW bug, VW bus, 1960 Ford Galaxie,GMC Typhoon, The Cyclone. You name it.

Name one car that was buit in the 50s and 60s that is worth less today than it was new.

It is all a matter of time. 2003 Kia may take a little longer to reach that status than a 2003 GT-40, but they will.

Not trying to be disagreable, just pointing out the relationship of time vs. cost vs. appreciation.

Funny to think that sometime in the future there will be people gathering around a 2002 Olds Aurora at a car show and discussing the merits of the car and the year it was no longer available.

TURK

HIQ 09-23-2003 08:17 AM

Buy a new Z06 Vette for $55, drive it 10K and sell it for $40K. Why would a SPF or any other Cobra be any different. Buy a nice 427SO if you want an investment and place it in your REPLICA.

Cars are to be enjoyed. Funny how when people buy cars as investments it never works out. The guys with Ferrari F40s with 80 miles on them, the guy with the ZR1 Vette with 1000 miles on it, the guy with the SPF with 1200 miles on it and many others are the guys who loose out with this investment mind set. The back of Autoweek is littered with guys selling 10 year old "Investments" for half of what they paid for them and they NEVER enjoyed them.

Cobras are Investments: Investments in Life!

Johninrsf 09-23-2003 09:00 AM

Turk:
You say that all cars will be "worth more" over time, implying that they are a good investment. Not really true. The higher prices to which you refer for non-collector cars come from inflation! Inflation does not create added value. It just seems that way. But all prices have risen during the same period. In addition the opportunity cost of holding on to a non-collector car (that you don't need) is significant. I'm sure you know this --just wanted to clarify for anyone thinking they can make real money by simply holding any car for a lengthy period of time.