Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2003, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 427 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default USED SPF's

Has anyone noticed a considerable drop in the prices of used SPF's since Shelby's new glass roller was introduced ?? I know it's been discussed at length, but no one has given us any hard evidence of a substantial SPF devaluation relating to this. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

just realized this was in the wrong forum - my bad....
Old 09-19-2003, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

I'd say there has been a considerable drop in all kit cars/replicas/hot rods/automotive toy values, but I believe it is due to our present economy (at least here in California). Toys are the first things to go, so more on the market the lower the prices to make a sale. Used to be you'd build a car, do a few shows, sell it at the Goodguys, then start your next project with the profits. Not happening here much now as buyers are becoming somewhat rare, or looking for give aways. Yeah, there are always buyers, but just not as many in the game anymore.
Can you believe all the great deals out there now?
Old 09-19-2003, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Argo,

As Yogi Berra said, "It's Deja Vu all over again" This thread is a joke, right?

"my bad" is correct....
Old 09-19-2003, 04:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

(moved this thread to All Cobra Talk for agro)

Moderator Note-
Since agro is an SPF owner, it is a fair question.
Please keep the thread on-topic.

Ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 09-19-2003, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Shelby Cobra, World Champion

SPF car (in the 200s) went for $30k ,a few weeks back.Doubt you'll ever see anything with a CSX number go that cheap.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:44 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

As the amount of current owners see what the new CSX4000 offering is like, your going to see more and more of them selling their cars, and or dropping the price of the cars that are already out on the market. Sure you'll still get a few people to spend on impulse (mostly first time Cobra buyers), but I said it before, I'll say it again, the whole market will be effected by the new kid (cobra) on the block..........

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-19-2003, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

I think it as much the current economy as anything else. Friend of mine just bought a new bass boat last month, for less than it would have cost last year. Heck, my current employer almost did a 15% wage reduction for everybody in the company, but instead just layed off 25% of the workers. Good time to buy toys, cause more people are selling them.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mr. Bruce

I hope you are correct , I beleive that would reflect an economy none of us wants to see...............I have noticed cobra country and house of cobras have more SPF for sale than all the others combined ...........I passed on an SPF for $37.000 four years ago, like doing real estate analysis.... never mind what people are asking .....what are they really selling for ..... there has been quite a spread for some time.....

There are good investments and bad investments...this may be a bad one, but im gonna drive it all the way down with a smile on my face!!!

Cheers to all my cobra looser brothers!

KK
Old 09-19-2003, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobras as investments? Only 1000 or so that fall into that catagory. Go over to the sink and spash some cold water on your face. Think about it for a minute. Spending $40k on a car that is difficult to get insurance for, difficult to register, in that "grey" area emmisions wise, Doesn't have an engine, has to be put together, etc. You really have to want one of these things,to get/buy one. Just don't expect to make money on one. Like one guy says, Easy to buy, Hard to sell.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Ron, and thanks to the rest of you for your opinions/experience. I'm considering selling my SPF to have a pool built - tough decision though...I drive the Cobra maybe twice a month, but would be in the pool everyday...And in Southern Cal., both are very enjoyable. But, the pool will always retain it's value here...

casaleenie - Since I haven't been around in a while, and have been lurking a bit here and there, you obviously forgot about that funny little impulse control problem I have...I prefaced my question by saying, "I know it's been discussed at length..." so if you didn't like the post, ignore it and do us all a fovor and keep your opinions and ill willed quotes to yourself, moron. Here's a quote for ya, "Did your parents have any children that lived?"
Old 09-19-2003, 05:47 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The availability of many cobras has sky rocketed not only due to the economy but the time of year as well. If you check ebay, you'll also notice an alloy CSX that is struggling to reach $70k. while many SPF's seem to be lingering around the mid $40k's. If you can wait for a few months, you'll do better with your sale BUT I can tell you from experience, that the day after your car leaves, you want another, so take some serious time before you sell your dream.

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 09-19-2003, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by agro1

casaleenie - Since I haven't been around in a while, and have been lurking a bit here and there, you obviously forgot about that funny little impulse control problem I have...I prefaced my question by saying, "I know it's been discussed at length..." so if you didn't like the post, ignore it and do us all a fovor and keep your opinions and ill willed quotes to yourself, moron. Here's a quote for ya, "Did your parents have any children that lived?" [/b]
Lurker,

I don't think I'll be doing you any FOVORS. "Did your parents have any children that lived?", where do you come up with those witty quotes?... That may be the funniest line I've ever heard... Oh stop it you rascal... I'd have answered you earlier but I couldn't stop laughing. MY BAD....

and you didn't preface your statement with "I know it's been discussed at length", that was your second sentence..
Old 09-19-2003, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

I think many of the cars that were traditionally "guy" cars have been successfully marketed to the ladies as well,thus assuring an increasing demand for both new and used .The Porsche Boxter and Corvette are two prime examples.Instead of worrying about resale,we need to get proactive with introducing.The SPF in particular is so incredibly easy to drive well,to me it's as natural to pilot as my '02 Celica GTS daily driver.( and I see an awful lot of females driving GTS's).My 19 year old daughter has been under cars with me since she was 5 or 6,and has taken great pride in servicing her on car.She is extremely feminine,never at a loss for male attention,and with one ride in an SPF was sold(on her list for after college graduation)The same would no doubt apply to the other Cobra marques as well,as I certainly don't want to start that argument again.Anyway,predictions of gloom and doom can become self fullfilling prophecys,so cut me some slack guys! I'm just about to put a deposit down on an ERA,and this is not what I need to hear!(Hee,Hee)Anyway,just think largely untapped Cobra market and gear the ad accordingly if that day ever arrives when you need to sell.My last car,a CR,was bought by a gal,and she ran the snot out of it(definitely not a waxer in her mind!)
Old 09-19-2003, 06:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I learned my lesson the hard way. Sold my Cobra and it cost me an additional $3K to buy it back when I realized how much it meant to me.

,,,,think twice before you sell. Very rarely are you able to "undo" a car sale, even with extra money!

Ernie
Old 09-19-2003, 07:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Do a serarch on CC re: Cobra asking prices. I have periodically done some quick math on the subject. The methodology was quite simple. If memory serves, SPF prices were always very consistent and had a tight range, having a median ASKING price--if I remember correctly-- of around $43-$46K.

I haven't done any anaylsis of the market in general for some period. Let me make just a couple of observations, though. The market is replete with Cobra builds. Inventory of cars to sell is unparalled in the history of this particular marque.

While the popularity of the Cobra is still strong, no bull market lasts forever. Something to think about when anticipating a $70K build.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

I have been selling cars for the last 18 years or so.

Thank God my customers are not as cautious as you guys in here.
If they were I would go broke.

People buy cars, because they need one, or because they want one. Very seldom they buy one because they will go up in value.
Those who do, are often in for a rude awakening.

Why would Cobras be any different? Why do we expect an appreciation from these cars? Just because the originals did go through the roof?

There is no correlation between what happened to CSX2000 and CSX3000 series cars and all the rest sold today.
There was a finite number of those. They were bound to appreciate 35 years later. Almost everything does.

The cars of today, are plentiful. Every Tom Dick and Harry is building a Cobra. There is no shortage, and they will fall in the same category as the Chevrolets I have been selling the last 18 years. They are just cars. You bought them (hopefully) for the right reasons.
If you did, enjoy them. If you bought them because you thought you were gonna get rich....too bad.

Even in this market a $40,000 Cobra seem to be holding up pretty damn good as compare to a $40,000 Lexus, or a $40,000 Land Rover.

Enjoy the damn thing!

Come see me in 35 years and tell me I was wrong. Until then I am right!

TURK
Old 09-19-2003, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

someone pretty knowledgeable in the replica business told me a year or so ago, that the time would come when the Cobra replica market would begin it's downturn. Not many years ago, there were few cars capaable of high performance, now there are quite a few fast cars, much easier to life with, and to insure, and very "reasonably" priced. Those of us on CC who wanted one of our replica's for many years just can't imagine "cross-shopping" other high performance cars, but for the vast majority of drivers, they most certainly do.

Since SPF sells about one car a day, somewhere in the world, it is natural that a lot of fairly new ones become available, "used." Whereas the ERA and Unique cars, with perhaps as many sold over a much longer time (I don't know for sure), have settled into ownership of folks who tend to keep them.

My guess is that if Jimmy Price shut down his line, in a few years, SPF's would also migrate to those who tend to keep them, and the number for sale would drop.

A Ferrari salesperson once told me his competion was not other cars, but airplanes, beach houses, and mistresses. Surely $50K replicas also compete with things other than cars.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 09-20-2003, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What was once rare and unusual is now commonplace and availiable... Supply exceeds demand... Nothing more complicated than that. Not sure that that will change.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just started looking for a cobra after 20 years of boating. I look at buying a cobra just like owning a boat. Nobody needs a cobra, just like nobody needs a boat. These items are purchased just for your pleasure, surely not with making money or just staying even
in mind. I had 7 boats in twenty years, always trading in and upgrading for a bigger model. As long as I stayed in boating you basically could stay even on your trade-in and get just about what you paid for them or take a small hit. I knew that when the day came to get out of boating I would have to bend over and grab my ankles. I sold my forty footer this year because I priced it right and ended up taking even less. Sure everybody wants to get as much as they can, but I was just glad to sell it and move on to other things. I still have all the great memories and friends that I made along the years. And if you look at how much money I've lost in twenty years on just buying normal cars, the lost on the boats were actually smaller. If I took all the money I've spent on boating I could have afforded any car I wanted.
What I'm trying to get at is that count your time owning the car as money well spent. The memories of you picking up that car and all the fun you had with it will last a lifetime. I don't understand some remarks I've read here about if I don't get this much I'll let the car rot in the garage. What good is that? You are hurting no one but yourself with that statement. I'm sure some people can afford to do this, others cannot. People will offer you less, it's a buyers market and I really don't think that will change for a while. I wouldn't be looking for a cobra if I didn't give in on my price on my boat. Selling any toy is a pain, nobody needs one, thay just want one. It's just a business transaction, nothing more. Being insulted by an offer is ridiculous, don't let it get personal, you can always say no. Enjoy the time you owned it, life's too short to look back.

Thank's for letting me rattle on.