Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   If Chevrolet would have said YES.... (Cobra Related) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/45625-if-chevrolet-would-have-said-yes-cobra-related.html)

Eddy K 09-27-2003 05:57 AM

No problem here with Ford bashing. I have done my share of Chevy bashing over the years so if you dish it put you must be able to take it also.
The truth beknowst I have owned a Chevy or two over the years and other GM products as well.
As of now my wife has an S-10 and I must admit it is a pretty nice truck. I own an F-150.
I had a 67 Firebird 400 once. It was great on top end but my 72 Mach 1 351C which I still own today was quicker on the strip.
It's all in fun guys, always was and alway will be.

misfit41 09-27-2003 09:01 AM

thanks for the info on beech bend Eddy,I am trying to motivate myself to go now,,my son in law has a pretty quik 5.0 mustang.
I didnt realize there was a cobra in hardinsburg,there are more of us than I thought ,,,,Tk

computerworks 09-27-2003 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
speaking of the Chevy 6......4 time National Record Holder..........

G.R. 09-27-2003 07:17 PM

Thanks Ron

SEE:rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

computerworks 09-27-2003 07:26 PM

Gary... Cal and I have "got yer back" on this one.

:cool:

G.R. 09-27-2003 07:27 PM

:MECOOL: :LOL:

Cal Metal 09-27-2003 07:27 PM

Misfit:

A 376 hp, 260 cid "stock motor" from Ford? When and where?

Eddy K 09-27-2003 07:29 PM

Ok, so the guy set four natioanl records. If I remember right this is Earl Britts old "Pizza Man" 53 Corvette. I don't think it ever won a natioanl event although I do give him credit for having a nice looking and good running car.
Now, do these names ring a bell. Bruce Sizemore, multi-national event winner with a 300 Ford six in a 73 Pinto, Joe Williamson, national event winner with a 23 T with 300 Fors six, Steve Ambrose, multi-national event winner with a 23 T and dragster both with a 300 Ford six, Jerry Arnold national event winner with a 32 Bantam roadster with a 300 Ford six.
Can the Chevy six match that? Don't think so.
See:LOL:

G.R. 09-27-2003 07:33 PM

We're talking early - mid 50's here--not early-mid 70's:)

Eddy K 09-27-2003 07:43 PM

I didn't know we were talking any specific year at all. I thought it was Ford vs Chevy.
Anyway, the proof is in the pudding and the facts are the 300 Ford six lends itself more adaptable to racing than the 292 Chevy six.
Now if you want to haul some corn to the feed mill to grind for the cattle, the Chevy six will work just fine.:)

G.R. 09-27-2003 08:02 PM

:LOL: :LOL:

Excaliber 09-27-2003 08:06 PM

Whats the story on the 53(?) Vette? Modified engine of course but WHICH engine? Very interesting.........

Starting to look like tag team wrestling around here, we had G.R. on the ropes man! :D

Ernie

G.R. 09-27-2003 08:14 PM

Ernie
If my memory serves me right--that Vette was running a highly modified(Offy equipped)292 "Blue Flame Special". But equiptment Joe Average could afford to turn his chevy 6 into a runner--without breaking the bank

Eddy K 09-27-2003 08:17 PM

I really hate to tell my age but I have been involved in drag racing since the mid 60s' so my memory may be somewhat fuzzy.
This car was raced by a guy named Earl Britt. I think that he may have been from Michigan but I am not sure.
I am pretty sure that the car had a 235 six. But as I said, that was along time ago.

G.R. 09-27-2003 08:21 PM

Eddy it may have indeed been a 235--I thought it was an upgraded engine?-but he may have been running with the stock 53 block--

Eddy K 09-27-2003 08:29 PM

G.R. you could be right. I thought it was the 235 but since you mention the Blue Flame Special that may be the enging that was in it. It would be nice to know where that car is today.

I went to the National Hot Rod Reunion Bowling Green Ky this past June. They had alot of the old cars there and old fuel altereds and front engine top fuel dragsters. Man, what a show.
Wouldn't miss that for anything.

Cal Metal 09-28-2003 05:52 AM

Eddy K:

Four National records, so what??????????? That is the point, isn't it? BTW, Winternationals, circa 1970. Competition Eliminator run off: Britt in his 6 cylinder, '54 Corvette v. Dick Landy's Mopar Factory backed mucscle machine. After they cleared the dust Britt beats Landy for Comp. Eliminator title. As Britt comes down the return lane, 40,000 fans rise to their feet and give him a standing ovation. A true Davey and Goliath story. That car is headed to the Corvette Museum early next year.

misfit41 09-28-2003 08:41 AM

This could be good,I would like to learn more about the 6 cyl hop ups,that would be cool,,dust a small block with a 300 inline.
Tk

Excaliber 09-28-2003 09:14 AM

Four National Records indeed IS the point!

And a win in the 70's also???? WOW! Impressive car, who wouldn't want to pull for an under dog with a 6? Good stuff.

Ernie

Cal Metal 09-28-2003 09:59 AM

BTW, Britt's Corvette 6 garnered the most Championship points in Comp. Eliminator than any other car in the history of the NHRA for a single season.

TK:

In its prime, the Pizza Man Corvette ran three 48mm DCOE Webers coupled to a 302 GMC six. The tranny was a B & M Turbo Hydro. The car was used as B & M's national advertising car in their promotiomal literature.