Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2003, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 fia kmp#325
Not Ranked     
Default Willow Springs Oct 25&26

I am thinking about going to Willow Springs next weekend, either Saturday or Sunday.

Can anybody give me a heads up as to what the schedule is (ie. driving school or track event etc...). Cobra Country doesn't say exactly what the event is other than it is next weekend.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #243 - 351W stroked to 418
Not Ranked     

I can't make it for this event, but if it's like in the past, you should get there fairly early to get teched and be present for the mandatory 9am driver's meeting.
They usually have about an hour to take drivers around in vans to get a feel for the track & see where the apex cones are located. In years past, they've had a tutorial offered by one of the staff drivers in the main building. You'll get all the details at the driver's meeting.
They have four color groups depending on your abilities, and run them in order all day starting at about 10:30 am. There are passenger sessions as well around mid-day.
Be sure everything is fastened down (battery, fire extinguisher,) and seat belts are safety wired if you have the clip release kind.
Make sure you have two throttle return springs on your carb and tape for your headlights.
Have fun & be careful!

Durt
Old 10-19-2003, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Damn! I was ready to go until I got shanghied into presenting a seminar for personnel pros.

At least it's in Tahoe.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll be fishing in the Sierras. So many fun things - so little time.

Durt
Old 10-19-2003, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Durt

Where at? Fly or tackle?
Old 10-19-2003, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Durt,

I was a little uncertain as to what type of gathering it is going to be and now that I know it is a track event, is it worth going to in order to look at cars as well?

I am just starting to look at SPF's and ERA's (that is at least for the last 3-4 months) and know that a good opportunity is at the Knotts Berry Farm show, which I was unable to attend this year.

Every summer at the Ruby's here in Redondo Beach, there is a friday night hot rod get together that has quite a turn out. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a very good showing of Cobras in comparison to the other cars out there.

I have been the Hillbank and asked some questions, but kind of get the sales pitch. All I want to do is talk to some guys locally that have cars and just get some more info to use as my own sales pitch in selling my wife on the idea of a Cobra instead of a new kitchen. Hmmm I think that is going to go over like a lead ballon..............
Old 10-19-2003, 11:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jamo - a little of both, but I haven't been in some five years, so my fly skills will probably give way to salmon eggs in a hurry.
My pal suggests the Mammoth area this time instead of our usual Bishop haunts.
I just want to get the hell out of LA for a few days and space out in those magical mountains.

Caustic - The COCOA event would be a great place to check out cars and talk to owners. It's also a great way to see these brutes in action and have a wonderful day in the high desert.
I personally don't like Hillbank for a number of reasons, so I'd recommend talking to Dean Woodruff at House of Cobras. He usually has a trailer at the event & just drop my nickname to Dean and tell him what your interests are. He's a straight shooter & won't try to sell you anything.
If you're looking at ERA and Superformance, you're on the right track. But there are a lot of quality replicas out there that you can check out at the COCOA event.
Plus, Lynn Park usually has a few originals you can drool on too.

Have fun -

Durt
Old 10-20-2003, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks alot Durt, your advice is greatly appreciated. Good luck in Mammoth what a great time of year.

By the way have you checked out Eagle Lake? A little further north than Mammoth, but incredible fishing. My father and I have fished there and man o man!

Type O "balloon." " You give them books so they can learn. And what do they do, they eat the books."
Old 10-20-2003, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Screw the Cobras...

We need a fishing trip! Maybe a Cobra trip to get there though.

Rick Parker weighed in with me via e-mail re fly fishing, and I know there are some others.

Course, as I assplained to Rick, the last time I fly fished the upper Kings a few years ago, I left something: my entire rig as I threw that sum***** as far as I could after getting tangled worse than a Chinese rope puzzle!!!! So, now that my interest has been reperked...think I'll go nose around Herb Bauer's for a new setup and start practing out by the pool again.

Durt...Mammoth is a great spot to dip whether ya catch anything or not. The lake loop just north of Mammoth (don't know if Eagle is one of them, Caustic), is also a fine area.

Upper Kern is great...stomping grounds of General Yeager in his flying days. I have his book where he basically tells ya how to cook trout.

Last edited by Jamo; 10-20-2003 at 01:02 PM..
Old 10-20-2003, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My buddy is the 'fisherman' of the two of us. I'm just a lowlander dork trying to keep from drowning. We used to go a couple of times a year, and probably hit some of the areas you're talking about - I distinctly remember June Lake and Bridgeport, in addition to the dozens of areas around Bishop & Lone Pine.
It's just harder to get away these days.
The Cobra might be hard pressed to accommodate any tackle bigger than my Popeil Pocket Fisherman, and the vehicle of choice usually winds up full of mud & smelling like a tuna trawler. I think the Allroad will be pressed into service.
I have the Yeager autobiography that details his hiking up to the Alpine pools for Goldens. I'm afraid I look forward to a Makers Mark and a bed at the end of the day & consider 'roughing it' having to walk over 100 yards from the car, or running out of beer.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Assolutely the Allroad.

Jamo
4.2 A6 owner.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Indeed.

Durt - Allroad and S-4 owner.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

We ever talk at AudiWorld? I used to hang there.

Gave up a spot for an RS6 when the bill came for the Kirkham. H&Rs/SO3s on the 4.2...I've had some fun at Willow Springs with it.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 427 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Jamo - I've been spending some time on Audiworld in the B6 S4 forum...Just put a deposit on an '04 S4 Avant - Amazing car...Drove that and the RS6. Had to go with the Avant though if it's to replace my truck...But the RS6 is the ultimate sleeper - BAD A$$
Old 10-20-2003, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I used to frequent the S-4 board, but I don't think I'm the age demographic of your typical S-4 owner - a lot of zoom-zoom, near adolescent smack talk.
It's also kind of sad to watch the posts change over the last three years from how cool the car was after it first came out and how to chip it for 400 horses, to dealing with 50,000 mile stuff breaking down and guys selling them.
I, too, had a total car-gasm when the RS 6 came out, but 80K is a bit steep when I already dedicate an inordinately large amount of my income to automotive indulgence.
Have yet to run the S-4 at Willow, but am entertaining a stage 4 upgrade now that the warranty's gone. Then, I will definitely be stretching it out on the track.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

agro - I haven't driven the new S-4, but I hear the aluminum V-8 is amazing. Is Audi gouging the price like they did when the 2.7 S-4 came out? How scarce are the sedans in so. cal dealerships?
Old 10-20-2003, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Durt, Agro

Yup, I sorta weened off the A6 board after hearing about how to fix a freeking cupholder for the millioneth time.

I would think the Allroad Forum would be a bit more mature than the S4 group. Each group seems to have its own personality.

The S4 motor is the same basic 4.2, except they've evolved into some space=saving technology...the timing belt has been dumped for a chain drive at the REAR of the motor. I must say, the 4.2 is right up there with Nissan V6 for perfection. There's even going to be a 4.2Allroad.

I'm thinking a wide range here for my next business car...either the new S4 (and I do like the Avant--a convertable is also in the wings) or just a basic A8, which is coming down in price due to slow sales.

The RS6 is just flat amazing. I drove one down at the Pasadena dealership (name escapes me at the moment). It was a bit hard to think about $80K+ for what looks like my current car, especially from the inside.

Last edited by Jamo; 10-20-2003 at 11:12 PM..
Old 10-20-2003, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My lease is up on the S-4 in June, so my dilemma is whether to turn it in for the new S-4 or just buy the one I have and hot it up.
That's the problem with a lease vehicle. You can't do any modifications, or you risk voiding the warranty or having problems at turn in time.
I've already installed a short-shifter and drilled pedals, but haven't chipped it or upgraded the exhaust/downpipes.
The new S-4 intrigues me, but so does hot-rodding the one I have.
Decisions, decisions.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Yup, that's the agony of leases. Gotta take the coilovers off in another year myself.

But, I do like buying extra wheels/track tires and writing them off as winter tires for business.

That would be a tough decision (current vs. new S4). You can't really go wrong.

Wonder what that little coupe based (I think) on the S4 is gonna be like in 05.

Damn I love the German musclecar wars!
Old 10-20-2003, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

The Germans just keep raising the bar so fast, I couldn't begin to keep up with my "gotta have" list every three years unless I hit the lottery.
I only have 20K on my 3 1/2 year old S-4, so it would be a terrific car to hang on to for 5 or so years as a project donor.
The stage 4 mods make it an 11 second screamer that doesn't even chirp the (all wheel drive) tires. 410 HP - Turbo Carerra numbers.
I love the looks of the car & the interior is...well, Audi - and mine is virtually new.
It would be my alternate Cobra daily driver with a back seat & air conditioning.
Might be fun.