Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2003, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default A Few More Toploader Questions...

1. Does a Lakewood bellhousing for Toploaders have both mounting patterns? i.e. One for older RUG models and then the newer pattern for trannies with ears?

2. On an old 25 spline tranny...to update it to something that will hold the power....all I have to do is change the main shaft to one with a bigger spline...correct?
Old 12-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Yes, they do have mounting holes for both the narrow and wide case.

Stay away from 25 spline transmission. Those were defective and discontinued from Ford very early in production (8/64 to 12/64). They showed up in wide ratio Mustangs and Falcons. You can change out the main shaft for the more standard short or long one.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alright. Well let me post this question.

I have a contact here in town who has (2) Toploaders.

1. 25 spline output, narrow case
2. 66 390 Fairlane Toploader, broken ear

What would you do?

He's asking $200 for the Fairlane box, $250 for the 25 spline box.

I could get the 25 spline box, change the main shaft and rebuild it with a master rebuild kit. But the bad thing is that I would have a narrow case (weaker?) and a small input bearing retainer.

The second option is to buy the Fairlane box, buy a new input shaft to fit a small block, rebuild it with a master rebuild kit, and then try to find an empty case somewhere to put all the new guts in.

What would you guys do?
Old 12-08-2003, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Blykins:

I can appreciate where you are coming from, but my bit of advise would be to wait. Ford made many, many toploaders. Why not find one that suits your needs entirely? As you know, building a car can pose it's challenges, so adhering to simple rules when simple rules apply can sometimes be the best bet. Remembering the phrase "garbage in, garbage out" could possibly apply in this situation. It sounds like you are building a nice replica, so save a little time and money in the long run and buy the best one you can get your hands on. If that means waiting a bit while you do a little more searching, then so be it. I think you'll be happier in the end. If there are any Ford specific swap meets coming up in the near future, that could be a good source, or check at a local breakers, or a publication like Hemmings Motor News for possible leads.

Hope this helps a bit even though it might not be the answer you were looking for. : ) Good luck!!
Old 12-08-2003, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I understand what you're saying. I was actually planning on taking some time and rebuilding one though for several reasons. I guess I was under the impression that since I'm going to the trouble of totally overhauling one, it's not really a big deal to find a "starting point" and making what I want out of it. I've been looking for a stinkin transmission for 3 weeks now...swap meets...Ebay....word of mouth. You can see in my other post about being pissed that I don't do well on Ebay. I've just run out of options...and I would like to get started on this now...for a good winter project.

These were just two available, inexpensive options to me, and I was thinking about going for it. Because it may be 6 months from now when the "perfect" Toploader decides to pop up.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

It is cheaper to buy a main shaft than a case. The narrow case is actually stronger than the wide case.

Al is right. Take your time and find what you are looking for. Personally, I would simply go to David Kee and buy what you are looking for. By the time, you rebuild it, and put in it what you need, you are going to have close to what a completely new tranny would cost. Give it some thought. As a percentage of the total cost of the car, the transmission represents about 4%. Don't nickel and dime it.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Forget the Lakewood.It WILL be a pain in the ass.

McLeod makes a better can.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Cobrabill is right about the Lakewood. Stay with McLeod. Your chances of not needing to dial in the bellhousing is better with McLeod than Lakewood---although no guarantee.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well....I have a Lakewood now that I was gonna use for my TKO setup....I dialed it in, and it came in within tolerance. So my experiences so far have been good. What's a McCleod bellhousing run? I've never seen one priced.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

GO WITH DAVID KEE. IN THE LONG RUN YOU WILL SAVE MONEY,IT WILL BE DONE RIGHT, AND DOING BUSSINESS WITH HIM DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER. ASK THE GUYS WHO RUN HARD IN VINTAGE TRANS AM, A AND B PRODUCTION, THE FLIP TOP AND DRAGONSNAKE.