Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Reworking the new Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/48908-reworking-new-cobra.html)

Buzz 01-07-2004 08:18 AM

Reworking the new Shelby Cobra

1 Attachment(s)
There's lots to like about the new Ford Shelby Cobra design in terms of powertrain and performance potential, but lets see if we can get a little more Cobra an a little less Audi TT into the body. First thing I did was to lower the line at the door area and add a curving rise to the front fenders. The rear fenders received a bit more bulge and were cut back into the bottom of the rocker more like the original 427s. The windshield has been moved slightly rearward to give a longer hood line and the grille opening has been reshaped along with the addition of a lower "oil cooler" opening. The lower front portion of the front fenders has also been rounded a bit but the line returns to the existing spoiler so as not to interfere with under body airflow.
Here is a before & after pic so we can see the effect of the changes.

anchor2 01-07-2004 08:23 AM

Great improvement!

EarlsflyinCobra 01-07-2004 08:25 AM

Niccccccccccccccccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeee!!

Clois Harlan 01-07-2004 08:37 AM

Still needs side louvers and the headlights needs a little work ( I like the plexiglass extensions).

Since you are changing things a little....

Clois

HighPlainsDrifter 01-07-2004 08:54 AM

Feds

Hi,
I like your mods.
The thing that will screw it up are the 5 mph bumpers the feds mandate. Can you imagine how ugly that will be?
Perry.

REAL 1 01-07-2004 09:00 AM

Buzz: Excellent!

I would email that picture to Ford. Thats what it should look like.

Good job!:cool:

zipzip 01-07-2004 09:08 AM

Definitely drastic improvements Buzz, but I'm with Clois and think the headlights still need some work. Bring them back to just the round light instead of the "D" shape. Or maybe the body shaped plexi cover like the Daytona Coupe? Good work!

Did anybody watch Rides last night? An interesting piece. My favorite part was watching Shelby roll out the three cobras. What must CSX2000 be worth? What were the vintages on the other two? The polished aluminum 427 looked like a newer one (shape) than the painted one???

BT SNAKE 01-07-2004 09:10 AM

Great Job Buzz!!
I gaurantee that if this car is built that an after market company will make the lower front oil cooler piece. There will be several
companies that will be glad to pick up where the designers left off and make new panels. They do it for the Corvette and lots of other cars already.

Hersh:)

Turk 01-07-2004 09:12 AM

If the replica makers are paying attention, they should incorprate those mods to their knockoffs, soon to follow.

TURK

KobraKarl 01-07-2004 09:18 AM

Buzz, I really admire your skill ......

.......but....:D I think you could get so close to the original as to make a new one redundant ......

What about keeping the oil cooler, cutting the door down, widen the grill opening ...........and other wise leaving it .

I have no idea how hard it is to manipulate a pic like that , so if I'm out of line ....my apologies.

KK

wilf leek 01-07-2004 09:37 AM

Would it be Ok to include Lucas electrics?

Buzz 01-07-2004 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. Is te new shape a done deal or have we just seen pre-production prototypes. It's nice to be able to hope that theres's still time for some changes if our collective voices could be heard! KK, all feedback is good! (at least that's what they said in management development, lol!). Check it out from the rear - some of the changes are even more dramatic.

Tongue Pirate 01-07-2004 09:44 AM

Buzz,
I does look better! Did hurt my feelings a little that you took the 289 out of it:mad: But definately an improvement & even a possibly marketable car now:)

mr bruce 01-07-2004 09:54 AM

OK Buzz, I'll build your version(with your permission) Who want's one of the bodys to put on their existing chassis

mr bruce 01-07-2004 09:55 AM

Buzz, I need a side shot too.

Johan 01-07-2004 10:16 AM

Hey Buzz, cool.....really neat.
Please, I gotta see what it would look like with some regular Cobra headlights right at the leading edge.....a little lower than as shown....Please please please

Fake Snake 01-07-2004 10:18 AM

Buzz,

It's like you are reaching into my mind and pulling out all the changes I would want to see. EXCELLENT! To me, it seems you capture the essence of the original car better while still allowing some modernization to shine through. I guess it all depends on what they feel their mission statement is for the car as to how they are going to approach it. I'm sure there are very few people who were saddened to see the Ford GT remain true to the GT40's original essence.
I'm with the guys on the shape of the lights. Smoother is better! Give me thos curvy, Ruebenesque cars any day!

casaleenie 01-07-2004 10:18 AM

I've got to bet that if Buzz keeps tweaking this thing it'll start morphing into looking exactly like a 60's Cobra.

Tongue Pirate 01-07-2004 10:41 AM

That's really the goal isn't it?

Nantucket427 01-07-2004 10:43 AM

New Cobra

Is it a BB or a SB ?:JEKYLHYDE :D :3DSMILE: :LOL: