Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   $8,400 Buy it now Cobra 4 Sale on Ebay (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/51172-8-400-buy-now-cobra-4-sale-ebay.html)

SPEEDEAMON 03-02-2004 10:42 PM

$8,400 Buy it now Cobra 4 Sale on Ebay

Is this for real?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6465

The seller's feedback only shows him as an excellent buyer but not anything he sold.

Shin

G.R. 03-02-2004 11:18 PM

It smells a little fishy to me for that price--wonder what one needs to do to get on the approved buyers list?

G.R. 03-02-2004 11:21 PM

But if legit it'd be a heck of a buy---not much more than what one sold for new in '68--hmmmmm

Excaliber 03-02-2004 11:27 PM

Last time we saw one like this (what, two weeks ago or less?) it turned out to be a complete con. The car was removed from e-bay. The guys story was that the car was in Sweden or some other far away place. Of course HE would pay shipping on top of the ridiculous low price.

Now THIS car appears to be in the US. Has an automatic trans (yawn) and therefore incorrect shifter. IF it's genuine deal it is a "good" buy, but perhpas not a "stunning" buy, hard to say!

Ernie

maxrpm 03-02-2004 11:28 PM

What about the other car he's selling..67 Austin Healy for 8g but he doesnt know what engine is in it. How do you sell a car and not know what engine is in it? Maybe they're 1/8 scale toys....

BMK 03-03-2004 01:43 AM

Pardom my ignorance here but isn't there a charge to advertise and sell or do these items/cars just stay there unsold.

cheers

Bernie

bdriver 03-03-2004 02:30 AM

It seems that Gentry Motor Works is up for sale.

If the car was built by Shelby, wonder why they built it to Gentry Motor Works specs?

Some things just make you go HMMMMMMMM.

computerworks 03-03-2004 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by G.R.

It smells a little fishy to me for that price--
Gary??? ...a LITTLE fishy?

It's the same scam that has been posted about over and over.

The reason these sellers have 'good-feedback' accounts is because this is the second wave of hijacked accounts... those people who responded to the e-mail about eBay "updating their server" :D and requiring info, have lost control of their accounts.

This listing just picks up a photo and text from an old Internet ad:

http://allpar.chooseyouritem.com/exo...500/44563.html

and tries to get people to send deposits on the "car"

:LOL:

bdriver 03-03-2004 04:53 AM

Wow...great catch Ron....."SHELBY COBRA 427 428FE UNIQUE CLONE" is much closer then "car was built by Shelby"....

It's incredible what length folks will go to get a scam working.

Tout 03-03-2004 05:13 AM

lOOKS LIKE A CLEARING HOUSE SITE, LOOK AT ALL THE DIFFERENT SELLERS UNDER ONE ACCOUNT
TOUT

Clois Harlan 03-03-2004 05:14 AM

Did anyone catch the options list:

"Power Door Looks"

Clois

C4 Cross Fire 03-03-2004 05:34 AM

Something should be done. Just how difficult would it be to nab these folks?! My son could track them down and he's a teenager!
:rolleyes:

Scotts427 03-03-2004 06:01 AM

I started out with Gentry Motorworks and I've never seen this car before! Shifter is not right, from what I could tell Alot does not look right

Maybe sheep in wolves clothing

Scott

trularin 03-03-2004 06:13 AM

Had me going.

They are the same car.

$8400.00 for a finders fee?

Great job computerworks!!

clayfoushee 03-03-2004 06:17 AM

Time to contact eBay again....

Different picture, different seller name, same "buy it now" price, the other dead giveaway is that you have to email the seller to be placed upon a "pre-approved" bidder's list." If you do that, you'll probably receive a note explaining how his brother (or some such relative) was killed in a terrible accident or something, and he has no use for the car. He'll also explain that neither he, nor the car are currently in the U.S. But, if you wire him the deposit, he'll make immediate shipping arrangments.

MIKE SCHULZ 03-03-2004 06:58 AM

Wow,First thing in the morning ..Turn on the PC and this deal pops up!.....I just had to E-mail this guy and I said: Don`t you people get tired of SCAMS like this?...I mean REALLY!...Who`s he kidding??....If he asked 25K He would have alot easier time having people believe this deal is Legit.... If any of you even think that your gonna get a good deal on this one...Just LOL and appreciate that this Site is here to help / inform fellow enthusiasts...Mike Schulz.

MAXVELO 03-03-2004 07:01 AM

SCAM!!!!!!!!!!

WHEN YOU BUST THIS GUY, LET ME KNOW HOW YOU DID IT! I HAD A GUY TRY AND SCAM ME OUT OF $8,500 LAST YEAR. HE WAS SELLING A 200? HD FATBOY FOR B.I.N. $8,500.00 AND I DID. BUT HE INSISTED THAT I SEND IT TO A PLACE CALLED WWW.SMARTDEAL.NET . THE PROBLEM WITH IT WAS IT HAD SOME ICONS ON THE PAGE THAT YOU COULD NOT CLICK ON (DUMMY ICONS) AND THAT GOT ME THINKIN. THEN AS I STALLED FOR A FEW DAYS HE STARTED THREATENING THAT I SEND THE MONEY OR HE'D POST ME BAD FEEDBACK AND SELL IT TO THE NEXT HIGHEST
BIDDER. I KNEW AT THAT POINT IT WAS A SCAM BECUASE THE NEXT HIGHEST BID WAS $5,200.00 :eek: :mad: %/

Excaliber 03-03-2004 07:58 AM

The Austin Healey the seller also has listed for $8K would actually be worth about $30K, maybe higher.

Hmmmmm,,,,,,,, two great deals from ONE seller? Whats wrong with this picture.

Ernie

clayfoushee 03-03-2004 08:43 AM

Ernie,

You're kidding right?:confused: As virtually everyone in the above posts have noted, what's wrong is rather obvious.

Criminals are everywhere, and this one is rather stupid. This scam is about as common as the Nigerian businessman looking for heirs to inherit an unclaimed fortune from a dead man who just happens to share your last name.

Excaliber 03-03-2004 10:46 AM

Clay,,,, your right! I was "kidding" about whats wrong with this picture, as it should be obvious. The fact that the guy is offering TWO cars at such a remarkably low price is virtual proof positive to me BOTH deals are rotten to the core! I wonder how long it will be before E-Bay takes down his adds?

Ernie