Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Will the GT be manufactured in greater numbers?? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/51234-will-gt-manufactured-greater-numbers.html)

REAL 1 03-04-2004 02:19 PM

Will the GT be manufactured in greater numbers??

Just reveiwed the GT web site Ford put up last year. The entire web site smacks of a product they intended to produce in greater numbers then they are now leading us to believe. The initial sales figure was also supposed to be substantially less than $150,000.00. They made videos and movies of production, history and even a race trilogy with the new Mustang, GT and Concept Cobra.

Alot of trouble just to make 2500 to sell to the super rich.

I smell the makings of a Z8 repeat. ie..two to three years from now they will be available at reasonable numbers.

Any thoughts????

Man, I want one BAD!

:CRY:

bmalone 03-04-2004 02:33 PM

Re: Will the GT be manufactured in greater numbers??

Quote:

Originally posted by REAL 1

Any thoughts????

Man, I want one BAD!

:CRY:

I think you should buy one.

Edley Rondinone 03-04-2004 03:14 PM

I heard they were gonna make 1500 a year until 2007; at that time, supposedly more-stringent laws (smog, crash-test, for instance) take effect.........

klayfish 03-04-2004 05:43 PM

It's a gamble as to whether they will increase in value (or hold pretty steady) like classic Ferraris, or become affordable.

My bet is that Ford will build as many as people slap cash down on the table for. If 10,000 people put down deposts, there will be 10,000 on the road.

Steve

CSX 4027 03-04-2004 08:47 PM

Hey Malone

What year is delivery on 4786?

decooney 03-05-2004 05:35 AM

True or not, the VP of Marketing at Ford recently stated on TV there will be up to 3500 made in the first 24 months; for top producing dealers only, across 4800 dealers. Watch eBay next! :LOL:

Remember when the 1992 Viper first came out? I think Letterman paid $550K for one of the first ones. You can buy a mint, used, low mileage 1994 Viper for less than $37K now.

My guess is Ford will continue to build and sell them until they cannot sell them easily. Definitely a trophy car for them to have in the dealerships for a long time to come.

REAL 1 03-05-2004 06:13 AM

Klayfish: My thoughts exactly.

2 years from first delieveries I bet they will be fairly accessible for a reasonable price.

Just like the Z8 and Viper.

Why else go through all that trouble?

bmalone 03-05-2004 06:46 AM

Sunshine, this year.

Evan, good luck, I do really think you should buy one.

Turk 03-05-2004 07:06 AM

550.000 for the viper sounds a little too much.
I was working for the Denver Bronco's quarterback John Elway when the Viper forst came out.
I remeber him paying $50,000 over sticker for that one.
I can't imagine Letterman having to pay another half a million for one.

It seems very high.

TURK

FST HSKR 03-05-2004 07:58 AM

Have talked to 3 dealers so far, going price is between 200-300K with the dealers that have been told they would get cars closer to the 300. The smaller dealers have been told there would be a lottery for them and that would be a chance for them to get a car. Out of my price range but should be fun to watch over the 2-3 years.

Jim

CSX 4027 03-05-2004 08:07 AM

Malone

The San Diego weather will be more predictable.

REAL 1 03-05-2004 09:01 AM

bmalone: Yes I agree. But I must first convince myself to sell CSX 4206.

Man. This is painful! :CRY:

I may just keep the Shelby. I'm so confused!!! :JEKYLHYDE

:LOL:

bmalone 03-05-2004 09:06 AM

If I could have both I would. Guess I gotta keep working. :D

Kputz 03-05-2004 09:09 AM

With all this talk, I touched base with my contacts, and every one says the same thing, including the destination dealer and the guy at the glass house. Probably not more than 1500 first year run and price should come in below $170k which is what I've been told from the get-go.

BlueRooster 03-05-2004 09:15 AM

Evan, I think you like Shelby more than Ford. I'd keep the roadster.

RACER X #99 03-05-2004 09:26 AM

I think I agree with Evan on this one, wait a couple of years and buy one for list or less.:confused:

Does anyone remember or even care who bought the first Viper,Cobra,Corvette?%/

John McMahon 03-05-2004 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RACER X #99

I think I agree with Evan on this one, wait a couple of years and buy one for list or less.
Some please make a note of this.....it should go down in CC history.

Johnnie McGlasnost

dalola 03-05-2004 12:21 PM

Most reliable sources are saying 3500 total units over 2 years, then it's done.

I'd say if you can afford it now, get it now, and enjoy it now.

What's that sayings about living for today.....?
:)

Trevor Legate 03-05-2004 02:21 PM

In Europe, over 2000 people have expressed their willingness to put down a guaranteed deposit - for a scheduled 80 cars!!! Why would Ford (or anybody!) walk away from shifting an extra 1920 cars at an estimated $150,000 each - to save battery time on the calculator, that 's $288 million. And then there all the other people who would buy a car if one were sitting in a dealership. And they say that Ford is losing money.....!!! The hell with "Limited Editions". (I bet AC Cars wished they had built the GT40 in 1964....)

Bud Man 03-05-2004 03:22 PM

Brock Yates summed it up in Car And Driver last month when he talked about the impending "revolution" of the car industry. Instead of Ford pumping up the industry with reincarnations from the '60's (they're gone, folks), that only the super rich can afford, they need to recognize that the future - like it or not - isn't the aging boomers wallowing in nostalgia. It's emerging foreign markets, and, closer to home, the kids today who want smaller, efficient "tuners". They may be awed by these cars, but I seriously doubt that they'll buy them.

Ford undoubtedly has the technology to build a world class four door sedan, but won't. They let Toyota and Honda beat them to a viable hybrid years ago, and still have nothing comparable to sell. Instead, they pin ther hopes on their narrowing advantage on their truck line, and trot out the retros. Even GM is getting the message that it is about "product", and the new Malibu, while not yet on par with Camry and Accord, is miles ahead of anything comparable from Ford. Marauder, T-Bird, now the GT and the tease of a Shelby Cobra. Two have failed already. The Mustang looks interesting, but anything would after 25 years of the Fox platform.

At least the stock closed up a little today. Hope springs eternal. :3DSMILE:

Bud:JEKYLHYDE :JEKYLHYDE :JEKYLHYDE