Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Need some advice on cobra

Hello everyone - I'm new to the forum and am looking at a cobra locally. Can you guys give me your expert opinion and what you think might be a fair value? I've always longed for a cobra and am in a position to get one but don't know alot about them. I'm mechanically inclined and work on about anything but this is all new territory for me. What would be a fair price? I have not seen the car yet but might go look at it tomorrow. Anything to look out for? Any and all help is MUCH appreciated!!!!!!

Chad

Here are the specifics:

1965 Factory Five. This car was professionally built by the owner in 2005. It is a non donor all new parts build using Factory Five Racings well known, lightweight, well designed kit. This car is equipped with a Ford small block 414ci stroker producing 550hp, 530 torque and fully polished. Racing radiator, MSD ignition system, March pulleys, racing 1 wire alternator, Hooker 4 into 4 headers, ceramic coated side pipes, Tremec TKO600 road race geared transmission, Centerforce racing clutch, leather seats, leather dash, Auto meter ultralite gauges, chrome fire extinquisher, battery cut off switch, optima battery, Simpson race harnesses, Alpine stereo with 4 speakers, center console, glove box, interior insulation (everywhere), push button or key starter, 315/35/17 rear tires 80%, 255/40/17 front tires 95%, all tubular factory upgrade race suspension, 3 link rear axle with 3.73 gears, custom Moser 31 spline axles and carrier, Bullit wheels, Cobra R slotted and drilled braking system (stops on a dime), foot box vents and fans, windwings, sunvisors, new custom car cover, trunk and footbox upgrades for more room.

The car is finished in a white very expensive primer. The primer has cured for 6 years and a black paint job would hold up great. I never painted the car due to a divorce, and then other things become more important. This would be ideal for someone wanting a very high end and well built Cobra. For $2500 more dollars your bodyshop could have a show quality paint job on this car. All the hard work is done on the body. Just block sand and paint. I also have some misc. spare things going with it.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

So the primer is on it for 6 years - forget the primer it's gone no matter what brand.

Now, is the car driven or it sat around for 6 years. If driven, how many miles?

Most important question - how much the seller ask for?
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 01-07-2012, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Old body style $18500
Old 01-07-2012, 02:54 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
Hello everyone - I'm new to the forum and am looking at a cobra locally. Can you guys give me your expert opinion and what you think might be a fair value? I've always longed for a cobra and am in a position to get one but don't know alot about them. I'm mechanically inclined and work on about anything but this is all new territory for me. What would be a fair price? I have not seen the car yet but might go look at it tomorrow. Anything to look out for? Any and all help is MUCH appreciated!!!!!!

Chad

Here are the specifics:

1965 Factory Five. This car was professionally built by the owner in 2005. It is a non donor all new parts build using Factory Five Racings well known, lightweight, well designed kit. This car is equipped with a Ford small block 414ci stroker producing 550hp, 530 torque and fully polished. Racing radiator, MSD ignition system, March pulleys, racing 1 wire alternator, Hooker 4 into 4 headers, ceramic coated side pipes, Tremec TKO600 road race geared transmission, Centerforce racing clutch, leather seats, leather dash, Auto meter ultralite gauges, chrome fire extinquisher, battery cut off switch, optima battery, Simpson race harnesses, Alpine stereo with 4 speakers, center console, glove box, interior insulation (everywhere), push button or key starter, 315/35/17 rear tires 80%, 255/40/17 front tires 95%, all tubular factory upgrade race suspension, 3 link rear axle with 3.73 gears, custom Moser 31 spline axles and carrier, Bullit wheels, Cobra R slotted and drilled braking system (stops on a dime), foot box vents and fans, windwings, sunvisors, new custom car cover, trunk and footbox upgrades for more room.

The car is finished in a white very expensive primer. The primer has cured for 6 years and a black paint job would hold up great. I never painted the car due to a divorce, and then other things become more important. This would be ideal for someone wanting a very high end and well built Cobra. For $2500 more dollars your bodyshop could have a show quality paint job on this car. All the hard work is done on the body. Just block sand and paint. I also have some misc. spare things going with it.
$18,500-$19,000 unpainted. I could care less what primer is on the car (I own a body shop), if it has been sitting for 6 years in primer than it's all going to get sanded off and reprimed anyway. Too much of THIS AUCTION is hype and not enough reality, the seller wants to find an uneducated buyer who might jump on his 25K opening bid (although I believe the auction is over without a bidder). Again, there are far better cars out there for the same money, and being sold by honest sellers who will tell you the 100% truth about their cars.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 01-07-2012 at 02:57 PM..
Old 01-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

It would probably cost Bill $2500 to paint it (if you calculate materials & labor) and he owns a body shop. It could cost you 2-3 times as much to have it done. You now have to remove six years worth of grime, grease & primer.

If it is the car in the auction that Bill linked to it looks more to me that someone built it, trashed it for six years and now wants to unload it. As said, you can get a better replica that is done for less right now.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

I love how when "race" is added to a description it immediately makes it more desirable and adds bucks to the price.

Listen to the comments above. All great advice.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 01-07-2012, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys! That is the same vehicle and you guys just saved me a trip tomorrow. He's still got it advertised for 35k but said he would listen to offers. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

For $35k, you can get a fully painted, top of the line FFR.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

$35000 and it's unpainted, wow! It has a lot of the standard Cobra goodies on it but there's an SPF for sale here on the site for $42000 OBO. And it has IRS and it's painted.
You can get much more car with better resale value in the same $ range.
Larry