Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Bob Olthoff's Last Lap (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/52814-bob-olthoffs-last-lap.html)

Lowell W 04-18-2004 06:54 PM

My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Although I never met Bob, this is a loss to me also, as he was a Cobra icon whom I eagerly anticipated meeting one day, perhaps at SSR.

I'm so sorry...

Lowell

SPF604 04-18-2004 07:10 PM

Bob will be missed by his family and extended family of replica owners. I'll never forget how long Bob allowed me to discuss a 460 install in my car, exactly 5 minutes! Then, we were back to the virtures of a Windsor. Perhaps, it's selfish of me, but I'll miss him. But, he's gone on to his final reward. Hal said it best, Bob's taken his last lap.

Dennis, Baby and family have my families prayers. I pray that they are comforted during this difficult time.

Jim Colman 04-18-2004 07:14 PM

This post caught me quite off guard as I had no idea that Bob was even ill. My heartfelt condolences go out to the entire Olthoff family.

I first met Bob and Dennis back in '96 when Cobra ownership was a gleam in my eye. Dennis took me for my second ever ride in a Cobra and my first real test drive. A few months later I started production on my Cobra video and would run into Bob and Dennis on several occassions. I still remember Bob and Dennis swaping out an engine in the middle of the night in the parking lot at a local hotel during my first Run & Gun at Mid Ohio. Then in '98 I visited the Olthoffs at their shop and spent the day filming and talking with both Bob and Dennis. Bob told me a few stories of his years racing in Europe and how much the Cobra had changed from then to the current Superformance offering. Bob was always a softspoken gentlemen but he knew what he wanted and he went after it.

My last memory of Bob was him driving the new Superformance coupe at Gateway, putting the untested car thru its paces. I think Bob would like for all of us to remember him that way....behind the wheel and a smile on his face. Rest in peace my friend.

Jim Colman

excelguru 04-18-2004 07:39 PM

My sincerest condolences are extended to Baby, Dennis, and so many others. Sad news, indeed. I met Dennis and Baby several times, at the shop and at events, but never seemed to catch Bob. It sounds like it was truly my loss for never having met him. God bless.

rbutton 04-18-2004 08:38 PM

The passing of a legend has happened with Bob leaving us.
I have always found the Olthoff's both Bob and Dennis willing to talk cars no matter what kind of car I drove.

Our heart felt prayers are for the family!

RedBarchetta 04-18-2004 08:44 PM

Prayers to the Olthoff family and my sincerest sympathy.

Excaliber 04-18-2004 09:30 PM

A legend to be sure, but through Hal's stories and posts I began to think of him also as a regular guy, a really nice guy. Somehow "legends" seem untouchable, aloof, thanks Hal for letting me meet Bob, the man, through your posts. He will be missed.

daltondavid 04-18-2004 09:32 PM

Sad Loss to the Cobra community and the World as well.

I never knew him, But have gotten to admire him from watching the Bitten By the Snake video. I must state that he came across as the most sensible and "Authentic" Man on the entire Film/DVD. To those that knew Bob, I am sorry for you, but not as sorry as I am for never having gotten to meet and speak with one of the True History Making "Legends" of the COBRA!!

Whitby Motorcar 04-19-2004 04:55 AM

We were very fortunate to have had the opportunity to know a man of Bob's stature. He was a motor racing legend. I have lot's of memories of Bob from my first phone conversation with him, to many face to face taks since then. My condolences to Baby, Dennis and all of the family on your loss. Your husband, Dad and our friend will be sorely missed.
Jeff

JWheaton 04-19-2004 05:34 AM

My condolences to his family and all his extended family.

CowtownCobra 04-19-2004 06:21 AM

My condolences to a true cobra legend.

Zulu 04-19-2004 08:29 AM

Bob RIP

Condolences to Dennis and rest of family

RICK LAKE 04-19-2004 09:22 AM

To the Olthoff's. Dennis It's a great lost to lose a dad, father, friend, and race buddy. It's a greater lost to the Cobra Community of Legends. My condolances toyou and the whole family. Rick Lake Your dad had some great stories about the old cobra days. maybe one day you can write them down. His day of racing will never come again.

GT35065 04-19-2004 09:26 AM

Bob was one of the main reasons I ended up with my car. I can't tell you how kind, patient and ethusiastic he was in explaining the virtues of the car I was interested in. I was a newbie in July of 2003 and just called their dealership for advice. Bob was the one who picked up the phone. I was buying from a private party, yet he teated me like I was his customer. Amazing guy, amazing family from all I have learned through Hal and others.

Deepest sympathy and condolences to all his family and many friends.

Rick

AC Cobra 04-19-2004 10:48 AM

Passing of a "Legend"

The passing of a "legend" and a really nice guy. Bob Olthoff will be missed. I met him a few years ago while searching for a Cobra replica and have had several encounters since. I am proud to have met him and developed his friendship.

My condolences to Dennis and his family.

Flyin_Freddie 04-19-2004 11:12 AM

My Friend...Bob Olthoff

I called Dennis Saturday, looking for a little ol' part for #770's license plate light. But, when we talked, I sensed something was wrong - terribly wrong. When I asked, he told me his Dad, Bob, wasn't expected to make it through the day. I knew Bob had been fighting, but I had little idea he was back in the hospital. Dennis promised me he would call if there was any news. After I hung up, I closed my eyes and said a silent prayer for my good friend, Bob, and his family.

When the phone rang Sunday morning at 7:29, I already knew who was calling before I answered. As I feared, it was Dennis to say that Bob had passed away earlier that morning. I felt like someone had just hit me in the stomach....and the tears just flowed.

Unlike some have said, Bob wasn't "one of the best"...he was simply "THE Best"...period. He had forgotten more about these little cars than most of us will ever know. His knowledge, and
frank, matter-of-fact style was something I had grown to count on since I bought #770 from him and Dennis in September of 2000. Truth be known...and some of you will be surprised at this...when I went into Olthoff Racing that afternoon, I wanted the biggest block he could put under the hood! But, in true Bob Olthoff fashion, he explained to me how much better a small block handled, and how all SAI's victories came with small blocks, and how no one really needed a big block in these cars. His knowledge and wisdom were repeated to me over and over in the past three-and-a-half years, and his friendship has meant so much to me.

Under Bob's tutelage at VIR, I learned to go a little faster than I had been when I first drove out onto the hot grid. I never got near as fast and smooth as Bob...and I never will...but, still, I never failed to ask him for a ride, or ask him to drive #770 with me in the passenger seat. I seemed to learn a little more each time...a little closer to Bob's style of driving. As some have already mentioned...he was smooooooth...Lord knows he was smooth...he never seemed to look like he was working hard...even as he drifted around Oak Tree and on down the straight, his voice never showed any excitement...just calm explanation of what he was doing, and how to do it. You'd look sometimes and he was turning the wheel in the opposite direction the car was drifting, and you never even felt it...he was so adept at balancing the car just on the verge of adhesion....maybe a little over, but fully under control at all times.

As Brian Sullivan (Hydramada) already posted on our Superformance forum, Ron Frohs and I went with Brian to pick up his car. Knowing Bob liked J&B Scotch, I bought him a big party size which we delivered to his home when they invited us up...since we had arrived just after the shop closed. We sat around in his living room, enjoying some J&B over some ice and talking about his homeland, South Africa. Surrounding us were paintings of South African scenes ...mostly landscapes...big panoramas of the countryside. Both Bob and Baby seemed so proud to tell of of their homeland, and both seemed grateful that we had asked. Not wanting to interrupt their evening for too long, we finally headed to the hotel and said we'd get Brian's car in the morning. One last little gulp of J&B, and we were off to the hotel.

Ohhhh...what I'd give to be able to have another scotch with Bob! In fact, I have an unopened bottle of J&B in my 'traveling bar' that I had intended to present to Bob in January when I went to Mooresville to pick up #770 after having my Accusump and Canton baffled road race pan installed. But, as luck would have it, I didn't remember to pull the bottle out of my box and take it with me. Then, when I got there, I got so busy picking up my trailer, loading the car, paying the bill, etc, etc, etc....that I simply forgot about it. Now...I'll probably never open that bottle, but will put it up and think about Bob whenever I see it.

Bob's whole again. He's not having problems breathing, and he's not in any pain at all. He's up there with my Dad, and Ronnie Reed...and they're all having a little drink....maybe it's a J&B...
maybe it's my Dad's favorite, Canadian Club...I dunno. But, I do know that Sunday morning, Heaven welcomed one of their newest angels, Bob Olthoff, home.

Ron Frohs, Brian Sullivan, and I got together Sunday morning and took a little cruise...it was our way of honoring Bob's memory. He touched each of our cars, and each of our hearts and lives, as well, and he was constantly on my mind through out our cruise.

As I told Dennis Sunday morning, my thoughts, prayers, and heart are with Baby, Dennis and Cheryl during this most difficult time. Again, I extend my deepest sympathies to each of Bob's family. There's nothing any of us can say at a time like this to make this any easier...but, just know that we're here and thinking of them.

Several of Bob's customers are planning on attending the Service on Wednesday morning. We're doing our best to have as many Superformance cars there as we can. I can't think of a more fitting tribute to Bob than filling the parking lot with the thunder we've all grown to love...loud enough for Bob to hear us up there!

Drive on, Bob....roads are long, life is short....I'll miss you, my Friend...

REAL 1 04-19-2004 12:30 PM

My condolences. I'm sorry to hear this.

Shelby Autos 04-20-2004 01:05 PM

Just found this out.

I met Bob when he drove one of our FIA's at VIR a couple of years ago for the special re-opening of that track.

Bob was respected by so many and gave the same in return.

My heartfelt respects to his family, his extended family and his friends.

Bob Marsh

jwoodard 04-20-2004 02:24 PM

My condolences to the Olthoff family and extended family.