Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2004, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     
Default Bob Olthoff's Last Lap

Bob Olthoff passed away early Sunday morning, after a stout fight against an illness that that finally got the better of him.

He was my friend. About five years ago, i first drove the hour north to visit and see if there was someday going to be a way to own a replica of the car i had wanted since in was in High School. A year later, i drove my own car home. In the four years since, i have driven up far too many times to count, and Bob always made me feel welcome, and in time, i began to feel like i was part of his family, a familiar trait i am sure familiar to many of his friends and clients.

He was always there to give me advice in my relentless quest to tweak and modify my SPF. Once, when I managed to get my Holley so far out of whack that he had to tow it down the hill to his shop, out in rural NC, he told me that since i was going to mess with my carburation, he was going to teach me how to do it properly. He taught me many things, and gave precious in-car race track teaching to both my son and I in our SPF.

I learned to always ask his opinion before i undertook some new plan with my car, and he freely gave me advice to make it work well. Once, when i stripped a distributor gear late at night, and showed up past midnight with my car on a flatbed, he came to the shop, and diagnosed the problem, and told me to come back the next afteroon, and it would be all made good again.

Along with other enthusiasts, we would come up on Saturdays, and after the vistors had left for the day, we would sit down in his shop, and listen to his stories of what racing was like back in the old days. Racing against the Ferrari's, the motorcycle jaunts with Jimmy Clark, his Shelby driving, and on and on. His glass cases in his showrooms are filled with countless trophies.

Bob spent his life around cars, and was a works race driver for MG, and other race teams.

But most of all, he was my friend, and i will miss him greatly. Bob leaves behind is wife Baby, and his son Dennis, and so many many others.

Wishing you nothing but sunny warm days, top down, for ever and ever, Bob.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 04-18-2004, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My condolences go out to Mr. Olthoffs family and friends, and to you Hal, for the loss of your friend. I met the Olthoff family, and Hal, a couple years ago at the Olthoff's shop, and they were warm gracious people. Bob, Dennis, and Hal spent a lot of time answering questions(probably the same one's that have been asked 1000's of times before), and the atmosphere around the shop was one that was so inviting that several SPF owners were there on a Satuday morning, in January, when the temperature was in the high 20's.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

This is sad news, Hal. I didn't know him personally, but when I was in the market for a new engine and was getting the run around from some others, he was helpful with a very good referral. His extra tall roll bar for the SPF was a great idea; I wish a bolt-in was available for my Contemporary. He will be missed. Rich
Old 04-18-2004, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hal,

Bob will surely be missed. I had the honor of meeting Bob and Baby at SAAC-25. Very nice people. I have heard alot of stories like yours about Bob. He genuinely loved what he did and it showed. My sincere condolenses to Baby, Dennis and the rest of the Olthoff family.

Ross
Old 04-18-2004, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My condolences to the family, it is truely a sad day. While I purchased my Superformance Cobra from Dynamic Motorsports, I often called the Olthoff's for modification information and other information. Bob and Dennis where always available to help and you could always sense their love for the Cobra. Bob will be truely missed...
Old 04-18-2004, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

While I did not know Bob well, on the few occasions where I ran at VIR with Second Strike, Bob was always cordial, informative and a joy to listen to.

He seemed very down to earth and a family man at heart.

He was one of the good guys and will be missed.Everyone should open their Cobra history books and review racing films to recapture what this man meant to not just the Cobra world, but to racing as a whole.

My condolences go out to Dennis and the entire Olthoff family.

"Do not go gentle into that good night". - Dylan Thomas
Old 04-18-2004, 10:48 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Hal,

Our condolences go out to his friends and family. Is there anywhere we can make a donation in his memory???

Sincerely,

Bill S & Family.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 12-25-2008 at 05:00 PM..
Old 04-18-2004, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My families prayers are with the Olthoff family.

I took my son and departed unannounced early one morning not long ago from just outside of DC and drove to see what Superformance had to offer. I parked just in front of the showroom and walked in and was instantly met by Bob Olthoff and his incredible wife. My oldest son and I felt as if we had known both of them for years. Bob took time (as I had interrupted his tea time) to walk me through about every rookie question one might imagine - I was overwhelmed at how helpful and inviting Bob and his wife were. This is truly a loss – he was not only a part of this great Cobra history but someone you could trust for the right advise.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

During the many years I spent researching and writing a book about the Cobra, one name just kept on cropping up, a name I had heard in my youth but a name I just could not put a face to. Then in 1998 I hopped on a plane and attended the SAAC convention in Charlotte accompanied by Nigel Hulme, owner of the famous Le Mans Cobra 39PH. It was the best trip of my life since on the first day there I stood admiring the line-up of SPF 427s and was promptly introduced to - Bob Olthoff. To say I was in awe would be something of an understatement. (I was even more delighted when he went home to get a copy of my book for me to sign!) Bob spent hours of his valuable time talking to Nigel and myself and supplying us with cold drinks from his ice-box. It was worth the journey just to be driven around Charlotte by the man himself in one of his 427s, of which he was justifiably proud, and to watch him fling one of his cars around the track, still giving it everything he had with the loud pedal welded to the floor!! I spent the majority of the three days in his delightful company and knew on the trip home that I had met somebody very special.

I was even more honored to meet him one more time in the paddock at Goodwood last September. He even remembered me!
I have a photo of him standing between the two ex-Willment Cobras. May I extend sincere condolences to his family from this side of the Atlantic. He will certainly be missed but never forgotten

Trevor Legate
Old 04-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To the Oltoff family, please accept my heartfelt condolences.

I hardly knew Bob, but I'd read about his great adventures, and his great contributions, including the most recent hands-on work on the Coupe.

But I was most struck by him at VIR. There he gave me advice, cajoled and yelled at me, and in general made me better, and gave advice to make my car better. The competitive, perfectionist, great-hearted man helped me and many others. And I had the priviledge of seeing how his family is a Family, doing this wonderful work as a family, and inculcating from toddler age. And I also had the priviledge of meeting Dennis, clearly in the mold, helping me with driving and long-distance rollbar installation, to his utter frustration, but eventual victory.

So, I am grateful to Bob for what he did for the sport, for what he did for me, and for the great tradition now embodied by the Oltoff family.

For that, I again offer my respectful and grateful condolences to family and friends.

Many events in the future will include some moments of rememberence for Bob Oltoff, some quiet, and some raucous, but he will remain in our hearts as we, too, encompass this sport, this passion.

Thanks, Bob. With respect, gratitude, and affection.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Multiply resurrected Superformance #584 (silver), 351W : 437 lb-ft, 445 HP
Not Ranked     
Default We've lost a legend

My prayers and condolences go out to the Olthoff family and friends. Sadly, I never met Bob, but wanted very much to after reading extensively about him and his good works both on the track and in his Cobra Shop.

Bob will remain a kindly legend to me.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

My sincere thoughts and best wishes to the Oltoff family. They have always been kind and considerate to us in the past. Bob was a great representative of the industry. His presence will surely be missed.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 04-18-2004, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 302 Carb
Not Ranked     

I first heard Bob's stories at Cobra Earl's Christmas Party and later talked to him at Kershaw and Whitby's last Christmas Party.
Gentleman and Gentle Man are the way I'll remember Bob.
My condolences to his family and those friends who knew Bob far better than I.
FFR #3175, Wimbledon White with Guardsman Blue Stripes, 302, Holley, Cobra Earl's Trunk & Footbox mods, Whitby Pulleys, Custom Luggage Rack, Snapless Tonneau Cover
Old 04-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star, 351-c
Not Ranked     

I met Bob on a couple of occasions, one being at Cobra Earl's Christmas party. He was as fine a person as the others described. I can only add that my thoughts and prayers are with his family. Thanks for the update, Hal.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to DanElam Send a message via AIM to DanElam
Not Ranked     

My heartfelt sympathy to Bob's family. Really good guy. Nice healthy ego with us FFR spec racers, but always a gentleman and very nice. Great inspiration.

And he did a pretty good job raising his son Dennis, too.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Missing my Superformance
Not Ranked     

Hal,

Thanks for letting us know. My prayers and thoughts go out to Bob's family. I got to know the Olthoff's back in 1999 when I bought my car- Bob delivered it to my house.

As someone already mentioned - a true gentleman. He will be missed.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:26 PM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Sad news

Carol and I would join the ranks of those who have expressed their condolences to the Olhofft Family.

I came to know the Olhoffts about two years ago when trying to purchase a pre-owned Cobra. Bob and Dennis were extreemly helpfull in every way, but in the end I purchased a new SFP and then the fun began with the development and experimentation with the RDI Ford racing alum 427 engine for my car. Bob along with son Dennis were instrumental in many of the improvements which make this motor the ultimate engine for this car. Following the delivery of my car from Doug Reed I went to VIR last spring and finally met face to face both Bob and Dennis.
Bob took me out for some fast laps in my car to see what we had developed as far as the setup, and then the instructions began. He was an inspiration as well as a great instuctor to anyone who was in need of help. It didn't make any difference if you got your car from them or another dealer, we were all family.
I will always remember Bob's words to Preston Miller from RDI when we finished our 1st session at VIR that spring. "Preston, I think it may have just a little too much cam, but then again, its just enough!"

I will miss you Bob.

Terry Lee
Old 04-18-2004, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

We have lost a legend and a very good man.

DV...a sad day indeed
Old 04-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     
Default Loss of legend

Never met him personally but talked with him on the phone when I first researched SPF. A very pleasant man--one of the good guys for sure. Very helpful to a newbie wannabe.

My condolences to the Olthoff family.

A Cobra legend for sure in my book. Sad news.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

We all hate to hear this news... I, like many talked to Bob at many of the track events and Cobra gatherings we have had over the last couple of years. He was a real first class gentleman.
I only wish we all could do in our lives what Bob was able to do...
He will be missed.. God Speed..............
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG

Last edited by RACERAL; 04-18-2004 at 06:59 PM..