Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   More scam stuff (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/53408-more-scam-stuff.html)

Bob Parmenter 05-04-2004 01:13 PM

More scam stuff

It's been tossed about before, but it doesn't hurt to keep it fresh in people's minds. I've got my car listed on Cobra Country and got this email inquiry. It's uncut, and unedited so those not familiar with the M.O. get a flavor for it. Typically there's a counterfeit cashier's check or money order involved, and a very rapid pickup by the carrier before the hoax is discovered. Clues are poor syntax, no quibble with price, and no request for additional info on the car.%/

HELLO,
GOOD DAY TO YOU, HOW ARE YOU AND YOUR BUSINESS? I'M TROOPER NICK CAME ACROSS YOUR AD ON THE NET AND PICK INTEREST IN BUYIND YOUR VEHICLE THAT YOU PLACE FOR SALE AT ASKING PRICE OF $36,500. AND I'M OKAY WITH YOUR PRICE AND I WANT TO KNOW IF STILL FOR SALE AND YOUR MODE FO PAYMENT AND ALSO AS FOR THE PICK UP OF THE VEHICLE I HAVE AN INETERNATIONAL SHIPPING AGENT THAT I WILL COME FOR THE PICK UP AT YOUR LOCATION AS SOON AS OUR TRANSACTION IS SEAL UP SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE PICK UP THE VEHICLE SO JUST GET BACK TO ME IF STIL FOR SALE SO THAT I CAN MAKE THE ARRANGENT FOR THE PAYMENT AND FOR THE PICK UP AT YOUR LOCATION URGENT CAUSE I NEED IT URGENT FOR MY CUSTOMER THAT WONT TO GIVE TO SOME FOR A GIFT SO PLS GET BACK TO ME PLS. THANKS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

clayfoushee 05-04-2004 01:56 PM

Trooper Nick.....? Where do they come up with this stuff.......????

Bob In Ct 05-04-2004 02:16 PM

Bob:
It looks OK to me, I would do it. By the way, are you interested in a corner lot in Del Bocca Vista Florida?

Bob

MidOHasp 05-04-2004 02:47 PM

Is every single one of these people foreign or completely uneducated? And I'm not talking about an Ivy League college education, here, I'm talking about not being locked in a padded room for one's entire life watching reruns of "A Current Affair"...

I think I've read every scam thread on this forum for the past 3-4 months and it never ceases to crack me up (usually at my desk at work...) when I read these emails.

It sounds like the person who wrote these emails used to work in Tech Support at Dell - I swear I had that conversation with a guy at Dell, but I wasn't selling a car, my monitor was flickering.

PLS TAKE UP YOUR RAM PLS AND THEN REBOOT WITH SOME POWER OFF AND ON FOR 10 SECONDS YES. PUT ON POWER CORD WITH AFTER PRESS REPEAT.

CHEESEBURGER, CHEESEBURGER. NO COKE, PEPSI!

I wonder if there are any of us that are DUMBER than these morons who've fallen for these wonderful letters?? Maybe I do not want to know.

Cobra20646 05-04-2004 02:59 PM

Write back and tell him your "mode of payment" is cash, U.S. dollars!

I don't think you'll hear back from him after that :D

Steve R 05-04-2004 03:07 PM

Bob,
Thank you for taking the time to post that.
It would be nice if that could be traced to the scamer himself... How much can a hit cost in Nigeria????
Steve

Lowell W 05-04-2004 03:56 PM

Hey, Dude...Let's party!!!! Are you knowing, of any, swinging American large-breasted women? ;) ;)

Bill V 05-04-2004 05:14 PM

Steve R

You can trace it back pretty close to the scammer, at least all the way the registered owner of the originating IP address. I just went through something like this last week, and yes, the scammers were in Nigeria. Read the post and find out how to trace it back. Just look at the properties of the email message you got and look for the orinating IP address, in Outlook or Outlook Express, it's preceeded by "Received from:"

Anyway, the last post in this thread, tells you about how to trace it back.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...threadid=53150

clayfoushee 05-04-2004 07:43 PM

Sure, you can trace it back to where it was sent at the time it was sent. But, the problem is scammers like this only use an IP address for very short periods of time.

Bill V 05-05-2004 10:56 AM

Clay,
Maybe so, but the point is, if you get something from someone via email that doesn't look exactly kosher, you can trace the message back and at least see where it's coming from. From there you can decide what to do with it. I myself forwarded them to the FTC mailbox that handles situations such as this.

You can be almost 100% certain, that if someone from southern/southwestern Nigeria, offers to buy your car (or whatever) and says they represent a buyer, he or she is a crook.

Excaliber 05-05-2004 11:09 AM

Almost 100% sure? Scratch that, be for SURE!

I asked a guy from down under once about the many poisonus snakes over there. "So how do you tell which ones are bad", I asked. He said 75% of them were "bad" and when you encountered one you didn't stop to figure out wether it's "good" or "bad". You just ASSUME it's bad first and go from there. :D :D

FattyBri 05-05-2004 01:17 PM

I got that emai last summer when i was selling my LT4 Corvette. I knew it was a scam and contacted my local police right away just to see what they could do. They immediatly sent two GBI investigators over and wanted me to play along until i actually recieved the cashiers check. Two really nice guys said they are seeing this daily and a couple of local guys either lost money or the actual car. I printed all emails, gave them the envelopes the check came in etc and never heard from the GBI guys again. When the check came in i took it to my banker and he said that anyone one of his teller WOULD have deposited the check because it looked real....but who falls for this stuff?!

MidOHasp 05-05-2004 01:48 PM

Thanks, Lowell, for a little recognition on the SNL....

:)

Lowell W 05-05-2004 06:03 PM

;) :D :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

clayfoushee 05-05-2004 06:59 PM

Bill V,

Yes, to anyone who's brain is moderately functioning normally and relatively undamaged, it's obviously a scam. My point was the reason these things are so prolific and now very common, is that it's virtually impossible to catch them, because they constantly switch their IP locations. But your idea of forwarding them to the FTC, etc. is a good one.

Maybe the really, really, really dumb ones will get caught.

SCOBRAC 05-05-2004 07:34 PM

Kill the SOB then tell them you were with me all day.

clayfoushee 05-05-2004 08:28 PM

......or at least choke 'em till he squirms.....if you can find him....good luck:D !

Lowell W 05-08-2004 07:54 AM

JP,

Quote:

PLS TAKE UP YOUR RAM PLS AND THEN REBOOT WITH SOME POWER OFF AND ON FOR 10 SECONDS YES. PUT ON POWER CORD WITH AFTER PRESS REPEAT.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

How about... "The Swinging Tech Brothers"? :p

Lowell

Bob Parmenter 05-12-2004 06:51 AM

Well, the saga continues. I've, so far, received 4 scammer emails, but wanted to add this one because it has an interesting twist. Again putting it up unedited, it's got a little blurb about not taking foreign money orders, checks, or doing wire transfers for balances, etc. And of course the guy is "ernest" (even though he signs off as Andre:LOL:)

Hi Bob,
I got your correspondence through a cobras for sale owners that you are wishing to sell a 289FIA Cobra for $36,500.I am a potential buyer and i am willing to buy it at the given price.
Please,endevour to furnish me with your last offer for the car cos i
am really in need of it.Hope to hear from you in ernest.

Regards,
Andre.
--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Special Tip from http://www.MailPuppy.com
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Be aware of net scammers. Never take foreign money orders/checks and never wire the difference.

Search the web at http://www.afamilyplace.com