23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default is there any thing that details the +'s and -'s of various mfrs?

especially on the budget cars? it's mind boggling how many makers there are out there and trying to decide which one's are worthwhile.

is there a comparison chart or anything?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Philip,

You are right about there being so many choices of Cobra manufacturerers.

There is not a list of pluses and minuses, because my "plus" might be your "minus". My CR car has a 94" wheelbase, which for me being tall is a plus, but half the folks would say it was a minus since the original has a 90" wheelbase.

I would suggest listing the attributes most important to you, then maybe we can make some suggestions. If one aspect is price, that is an example of how to narrow the field.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

There is a thread here somewhere that someone took the time to excell several manufactures. What they offer, price, size, weight, etc. Sorry can tell you where though.
Dennis
Old 07-08-2007, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitekit
There is a thread here somewhere that someone took the time to excell several manufactures. What they offer, price, size, weight, etc. Sorry can tell you where though.
Dennis
it turned up in a search but the link was dead
Old 07-08-2007, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdean
Philip,

You are right about there being so many choices of Cobra manufacturerers.

There is not a list of pluses and minuses, because my "plus" might be your "minus". My CR car has a 94" wheelbase, which for me being tall is a plus, but half the folks would say it was a minus since the original has a 90" wheelbase.

I would suggest listing the attributes most important to you, then maybe we can make some suggestions. If one aspect is price, that is an example of how to narrow the field.

I think that's about the most frustrating thing about it, there's no real metric to say XX car is better since they're all different.

For me, price is a big concern
authenticity is not
I like the bigger cars or a dropped foot well as I'm bigger too
did I mention price?
all I want is a fun toy, I don't care that it's the most authentic car out there, but I want a quality car that fits well because I'm fairly anal about that but I'm lazy too

the factory five cars seem to fit the bill, and they seem to have a good rep but the one and only friend of a friend into cobras thinks they're crap, I'd roll with a 351 or a big block, not a donor motor, in fact I'd probably just source what I need and build a carb'd motor and skip the donor completely.

I'm as interested in the project as I am the product, I'd swap more labor for less $$ any day.

second on the list is the hurricane I guess

I just don't know. I realize this comes up five times a day, thanks for the help and understanding.

Last edited by philip_g; 07-08-2007 at 04:16 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

philip g

This was discussed over here recently and the advice was tempered by the various owners view on their own purchase.

I have had the opportunity to watch the FFR cars in action and I have also climbed all over them at the 'Run N Gun' at Midstates raceway and SAAC in Fontana, Cal.

I was very impressed with the product.

Contact the Smiths' and have them send you the package that has the DVD etc. It gives you a great overview/insight into the business and the way that you can build using a donour Mustang.

Seems a very good way to go.

FFR have their own site here, why not have a look there and talk with a few owners. Grab a copy of Bitten by the Snake - again on site here.

Just my $0.02 worth

Good luck in your investigations

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 07-08-2007 at 04:21 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Knight
FFR have their own site here, why not have a look there and talk with a few owners. Grab a copy of Bitten by the Snake - again on site here.
they have their own forum too, which I've been lurking on, I consider this to be (more) neutral ground so trying to read here.

I agree, everyone seems to just recommend whatever flavor they bought, maybe that means you really can't go wrong, I don't know.

the 2500 dollar incentive doens't hurt on the FF cars, but the resale really seems to suffer on these cars.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip_g
I think that's about the most frustrating thing about it, there's no real metric to say XX car is better since they're all different.

For me, price is a big concern
authenticity is not
I like the bigger cars or a dropped foot well as I'm bigger too
did I mention price?
all I want is a fun toy, I don't care that it's the most authentic car out there, but I want a quality car that fits well because I'm fairly anal about that but I'm lazy too

the factory five cars seem to fit the bill, and they seem to have a good rep but the one and only friend of a friend into cobras thinks they're crap, I'd roll with a 351 or a big block, not a donor motor, in fact I'd probably just source what I need and build a carb'd motor and skip the donor completely.

I'm as interested in the project as I am the product, I'd swap more labor for less $$ any day.

second on the list is the hurricane I guess

I just don't know. I realize this comes up five times a day, thanks for the help and understanding.
Philip.
Having built both an FFR and a Hurricane, either one is high on quality and would fit the bill for you IMO. FYI, I found that the Hurricane has more foot room (ordered for small block) and a little larger interior than FFR if that's something you would need.
HTH,
Larry

Last edited by LMH; 07-08-2007 at 04:39 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 04:28 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Phillip,

Your friend of a friend has a narrow mind and some sort of twisted brand loyalty when it comes to Cobra replicas. Having owned several FFR's )read this as 14 of them over the course of a 6 year period), two ERA's, a Contemporary, and a Superformance I can tell you that each and every one of them had it's plus's and minus's for my needs at the time that I owned them. If there was one car I sold that I would want back, it would be the Contemporary Cobra I had for an thirteen month time period. My advice is to ignore your friend of a friend, instead do your homework and find out which kit best suits your personal wants and needs.

Now, with that said, since you state your have a height concern why not tell us how tall you are, whether you have long legs and big feet, whether you are heavy set or skinny, then we as a group can point you in the right direction as to what your options are.

Either way I wish you the best of luck with your search as I find the hunt to be 25% of the fun.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-08-2007, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, Carbon Fiber Body, IRS
Not Ranked     

Ten years back I had all the available, at the time, kit Cobra info packages. Cost was not the biggest issue to me, parts availability was highest on the list.

May 1997 I saw an ad in SuperFord by Factory Five Racing that caught my interest, I popped a cold one, reread the ad and ordered one of their Cobra kits. It arrived in three weeks and took me six weeks to assemble it using a 92 Mustang donor car.

I took it to Willow Springs for driving lessons and that weekend was asked to join SoCal SAAC. No regrets, and my friends own everything from original cars to all the reproduction Cobras.

Study all the web sites, join a Cobra club, go to road races and see if you really want one of these 90 inch wheel base monsters.

Roger
Old 07-08-2007, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

philip g

Guess the re sale is a worry if you are building to sell soon after.

However, I often think about my own Cobra that I have had for a long time and justify it's build costs on the fun I have had.

If you are hands on and can paint the body etc. there would be a few dollars saved here.

I have just helped a neighbour with his build and he used the donour car build. He took everything off and lightly sandblasted them and then just used spray can undercoat and topcoat for the suspension bits. It has turned out very nice.

Doing the preparation on the body with some advice from the spray shop has saved him a lot also. He will pay the painter $400 to paint the body plus half day hire of the paint booth on a Saturday.

Source out some bits from the For Sale section here which will keep costs down. I'm sure that you would be swamped with offers of parts if you 'Posted' a I need these parts on the sale FFR forum.

I often see FFR owners upgrading their Cobras for racing or competition taking out gauges, seats, roll bars and using aero screens.

If you ring FFR they will send you their info. package. It's a good watch. I picked up a copy in London Ohio at the event there and enjoyed watching it.

What State are you in.

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 07-08-2007 at 04:40 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang
Phillip,

Your friend of a friend has a narrow mind and some sort of twisted brand loyalty when it comes to Cobra replicas. Having owned several FFR's )read this as 14 of them over the course of a 6 year period), two ERA's, a Contemporary, and a Superformance I can tell you that each and every one of them had it's plus's and minus's for my needs at the time that I owned them. If there was one car I sold that I would want back, it would be the Contemporary Cobra I had for an thirteen month time period. My advice is to ignore your friend of a friend, instead do your homework and find out which kit best suits your personal wants and needs.

Now, with that said, since you state your have a height concern why not tell us how tall you are, whether you have long legs and big feet, whether you are heavy set or skinny, then we as a group can point you in the right direction as to what your options are.

Either way I wish you the best of luck with your search as I find the hunt to be 25% of the fun.

Bill S.
thanks! the lucky guys that owned several cars and can compare, especially the two I'm considering are rare and the feedback invaluable, I appreciate it.

I'm trying to find a local FFR I can sit in, but I'm 6'2-1/2 and about 270 lbs with about a 34" inseam, if that helps. I figure if I can find my way in and out of a miata with a race seat, heck I can make anything work if I have to
Old 07-08-2007, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Knight
philip g

Guess the re sale is a worry if you are building to sell soon after.

However, I often think about my own Cobra that I have had for a long time and justify it's build costs on the fun I have had.

If you are hands on and can paint the body etc. there would be a few dollars saved here.

I have just helped a neighbour with his build and he used the donour car build. He took everything off and lightly sandblasted them and then just used spray can undercoat and topcoat for the suspension bits. It has turned out very nice.

Doing the preparation on the body with some advice from the spray shop has saved him a lot also. He will pay the painter $400 to paint the body plus half day hire of the paint booth on a Saturday.

Source out some bits from the For Sale section here which will keep costs down. I'm sure that you would be swamped with offers of parts if you 'Posted' a I need these parts on the sale FFR forum.

I often see FFR owners upgrading their Cobras for racing or competition taking out gauges, seats, roll bars and using aero screens.

If you ring FFR they will send you their info. package. It's a good watch. I picked up a copy in London Ohio at the event there and enjoyed watching it.

What State are you in.

Bernie

I don't mean to imply I'm going to resell it right away, but I'm a pretty hot/cold guy on things and rarely keep cars more than a year... I'm always looking to the next big thing. Maybe the cobra will settle me down but I doubt it.

I'm afraid to do the bodywork myself, the car can be 99% perfect but if the paint and body have imperfections I'll NEVER be happy with the car, but... there's a locla DIY auto shop that is talking about building a paint booth, maybe it's worth a shot to DIY the prep in my garage and haul it down and paint it or pay someone to go over it and paint it. Maybe I'll rattle can prime it and drive it bare for awhile who knows lol.

I'm in denver, co.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm surprised to hear such good things about the FFR cars, and glad too since they really fit the budget nicely. Maybe a budget FFR with a small block is the best way for me, hey free brakes anyway..
Old 07-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

List of manufacturers with links to web sites ....

List of Manufacturers
Old 07-08-2007, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 FE S.O. 484 cu in
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip_g
I'm surprised to hear such good things about the FFR cars, and glad too since they really fit the budget nicely. Maybe a budget FFR with a small block is the best way for me, hey free brakes anyway..
Philip,

What is your budget without a donor?

Might be cheaper to buy one already done especially if you think you will turn it over in a year.

I think you need to start adding up the parts you are going to need before you buy anything.

FFR with a donor is a very economical way to go.

You need to start making a list of what you want in your car a what purpose it is to be used for.

Hope this help you as it seems you are just stuck on the kit price and not thinking of what it will take to complete the car.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naumoff
Philip,
Hope this help you as it seems you are just stuck on the kit price and not thinking of what it will take to complete the car.
you're right, I always do that with projects. My thinking is I can get the kit and that's the big investment along with the motor, and I cna buy the rest as I need.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:51 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Phillip,

Remember, nothing says that you have to finish your car in a set amount of time. I know several kit builders who have takien well over 10 years to finish the car the way they wanted it done. So relax, take a step back, and do some research. As for your height and inseem specs, I do not see a problem with you fitting into the majority of Cobras available with a dropped footbox option.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Philip,

There is a very nice FFR for sale on here right now for 26K.....it would be difficult to duplicate for the money, esp. if you go non-donor.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdean
Philip,

There is a very nice FFR for sale on here right now for 26K.....it would be difficult to duplicate for the money, esp. if you go non-donor.
to buy a built car it would have to be exactly how I'd want it, and I'd have to come up with 26k all at once instead of 12, then 7, then a bit now and some mroe later

I guess I could finance it and make some big payments to knock it down in a hurry though.