LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 02:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx3050
this is my dads car. he bought it in denver, colorado thouroghbred car museum. --- when he bought it in 72,
What did he pay for it in 1972?
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 06-14-2007, 03:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
What did he pay for it in 1972?
In the book Modern Classics, written in '78, the author states a good 427 Cobra could be purchased for about $25,000. Makes you wanna cry!
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 06-14-2007, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC/331/5 forward
Not Ranked     

$25K in 1972 was a serious chunk. If you were making $20K back then you were doing pretty well.

Of course, if you're making $250K today you're still doing fine....but that won't get you into that S/C.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427SnakeSC
In the book Modern Classics, written in '78, the author states a good 427 Cobra could be purchased for about $25,000.
I would say that in 1972 427 Cobras had not reached that price level.

A Factory comp 427 was advertised in '72 as "original, concours, hardtop, new blueprinted engine, with trailer for $10,000." Not sold for more than a year.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

a friend with a 427 street car , cxs3xxx, was the second owner and he paid $7,000 for his in 1970 .....he got a little more for it when he sold it last year ...duh . Bill
Old 06-14-2007, 06:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Snake
I would say that in 1972 427 Cobras had not reached that price level.

A Factory comp 427 was advertised in '72 as "original, concours, hardtop, new blueprinted engine, with trailer for $10,000." Not sold for more than a year.
Now I really wanna cry!
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 06-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

This is an interesting thread.

Guy in West Texas unveils his extremely rare, mostly original factory 427 S/C Shelby to the world. Most respondents are bowled over, drop-the-jaw infactuated with the car in its present state (me included). And then are a few (there always are a few) that try to nit pick it apart. It makes me .

Let's all just put jealousy aside and appreciate the fact that this kid has a Dad that had the smarts and foresight to purchase and hang onto this beast for so long. The fact that he is willing to share it with us is a treat and a privilege. Now let's all pray that B-J doesn't call this guy and try to exploit this "barn find."

-Dean
jolsen42 likes this.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta
This is an interesting thread.

Guy in West Texas unveils his extremely rare, mostly original factory 427 S/C Shelby to the world. Most respondents are bowled over, drop-the-jaw infactuated with the car in its present state (me included). And then are a few (there always are a few) that try to nit pick it apart. It makes me .

Let's all just put jealousy aside and appreciate the fact that this kid has a Dad that had the smarts and foresight to purchase and hang onto this beast for so long. The fact that he is willing to share it with us is a treat and a privilege. Now let's all pray that B-J doesn't call this guy and try to exploit this "barn find."

-Dean
It may come off as nit picking, but it's not. There were only 30 of these cars, and they were often modified over the years, so finding one that's in original shape is very rare. I have seen cars that were claimed to be all original/unrestored/unmolested, and then you look at them and see plenty of things that were altered or changed. There are STILL many unanswered questions on these cars after all these years, so naturually debates and questions will arise.

Looking at the pics of this car, things I notice are the carpet (obviously), the chrome expansion tank, the chrome fuel filter, the cap and wires, the rear breather hose and clamps, the bolt on header exhaust, and the 427 badge placement on the valve covers. And as Steve previously mentioned, the registry shows the car was repainted in the mid 70s. This is listed as being done by the same owner as posting here, so if it's NOT true, then that information needs to make it to Ned.

These are things that "I" would question, either in the sense that I know they are not orignal, or in the sense that I want to learn because I don't know. Some of these items are "maintenance" items, but that still factors into the car being called all original or not.

Don't get me wrong. I am by NO means trying to belittle, degrade, or discredit the car, the owner, or the poster. I TRUELY appriciate the posting of pics and info of this car. The pursit in me however, will always question things that don't look right, or that I am trying to learn more on.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 06-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Sal..if I remember correctly, the Registry also indicates the motor was "refreshed", hence the non-stock trim, filters and hoses, etc. would be explained

I think we all know that the comments from the detailers here are just items for dicussion, and not a challenge to authenticity.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Sal: As Steve and Ron pointed out, many of the originals were modified by their owners through the years. Remember, through the 60's and 70's I don't think anyone realized the meteoric rise that the values would take especially with regard to unmolested original cars.

CSX 3050: Its great to see this car in its near original state. Wow! Thanks for bringing here for us to enjoy! I'm sure I speak for all by asking for more pics of all areas of the car!

What color was the car originally?

Thanks.

Last edited by REAL 1; 06-14-2007 at 09:54 AM..
Old 06-14-2007, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1

What color was the car originally?
That's it, Gulf Orange.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CSX305O
thank you for allowing this forum to see the car, it's very difficult for some members to see things the way they were unmodified or modified. it's also nice to see the enthusiam that you have for the car given your gender. i know a few woman out there that would think lesser of such a beast !!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shelby american, inc, 427
Not Ranked     

it was orange originally, to our knowledge it has never been painted, im not sure if my dad was stoned back in the day when he would have painted it or not, lol!! but all we know is its the original paint. if its not original whoever did it sure did do a damn good job, no overspray in the engine bay area, or paint on any trim and anywhere else that paint goes when u paint an ol car. and to some of yall, who has had a set of sparkplug wires that last for 42 years and still perform how they are supposed to, gotta get new ones and hoses dont last that long either. we are just a couple rednecks that bought a cobra! we dont plan on ever selling it if anyone is curious. my dad dont wanna say what he paid for his. but ill tell u that it isnt anywhere close to what its worth now! thanks for your comments, they are all helping me out and im learning new things about it. keep em coming. ill get some pics of the undercarrige also.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

csx700? where did you get woman from?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

CSX3050, thanks for posting these. I just saw them, and my jaw still hurts from gawking at such a close to original unrestored SC.

Do me a favor (or MODS you can do this), and Photoshop out that license plate number if it happens to belong to your family. Lastly, I think the previous poster thought your girlfriend was you.

Thanks for sharing these.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx3050
...we are just a couple rednecks that bought a cobra!

Tell us that you fish with dynamite and have big white "3" stickers on the back of your pick-up truck and the circle will be complete!
Old 06-14-2007, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

its a fake licence plate we got just for looks. untracable! dont worry man. i guess so but i typed that it was my girlfriend. lol and we arnt THAT redneck, lol.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

3050;

Great car and I'm thrilled to see you'll plan to keep it for a long time in it's present state........... Any car is only original till it's been restored, then it's a restored original car to me, nothing wrong with that, many cars need restoring, but I fine the "Survivor" cars the most interesting............

BTW: around 1973 (give or take a year or two), an original 427 street Cobra (red in color) sat under a pecan tree for a year with a "for sale" sign on the windshield, it finally sold for $3,400.00!!!!!!!!! It was well used and sometimes abused, and was about three blocks from my house, used to pass it weekly on my bicycle on my way to work at TG & Y........ My dad would NOT loan me the money to buy the car,I never forgave him for that ........he figured a 16 year old had no business with a car like that.............he was probably right...........

David
Old 06-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

sorry, i figured you were the one in the drivers seat in the photos??
Old 06-14-2007, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default misunderstanding

news: lol, i actually got to sit down and talk to my dad today, oil business is busy nowadays! anyway, the front small scoop under the large mouth for the radiator; the small scoop was dented in about half an inch at bob norwoods shop, he took it too his body shop guys and had the scoop fixed and wet sanded the whole car a little and applied one coat of paint ordered from shelby american, inc to get the actual original color. the original paint is under 1 coat of the new paint. sorry for the misunderstanding guys. as for the engine it had a pretty much complete rotating assembly put in it. we still have the original crank, rods, pistons, rings, and bearings.