Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shelby american, inc, 427
Not Ranked     

on another note, where the registry says it was on a cross country run; my dad was supposed to take carrol shelby for a ride in a parade in alpine, texas. it ended up raining so shelby rode in a model a or model t instead since the top was off or the cobra. people think that he was just there for a cross counrty run. and another time my dad got in the middle of a bunch of vettes around 1973 or 74 and blew passed em so mabye they reported that. but the car has never been on a rally. it dont have enough miles on it to have been in one! this is my dads words here "if anyone would like to talk about my car or yours or if you need any help or advice, shoot my son a message on this site and he will send you my email and phone number, thanks." he also says he agrees the he fully intends to find the right spark plug wires, hoses and clamps and any other parts to make it closer to factory! and he is glad to see that there are people out there that are as meticulous as he is about originality, people do stupid things when they are young he says, and "i was one of em!" my dad was also part of the boss 429 shotgun mustang when he was in high school, and ordered the first one. he has owned a 1972 detomaso pantera, 1970 hemi cuda, 1969 mustang mach 1 427 medium riser from the factory. my dads high school girlfriend and still very good friend, karen wynne's grandfather managed carrol shelby's ranch in terlinga, tx, and gave her a dollor bill at the dinner table while at the ranch during one of several visits.

Last edited by csx3050; 06-14-2007 at 02:10 PM..
Old 06-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I won't even comment on the car, nothing needs to be said- it's just incredible. What I absolutely love is the fact that it's not in some multi million dollar temperature controlled B-J more money than common sense environment. It's in some junk filled single car garage like the vast majority of us have our $40K replicas slid into. The boxes on the old kitchen counter top, some old tires stacked in the corner, and this incredible car sitting there just waiting for Mr. Every Day Joe to come out and strap it on and go blast down some back road somewhere. The rug is beat up through wear and use, and that's perfect! That's what this car's all about. It's not some waxed up, Wilton Wool and Connelly leathered showpiece. It's the nastiest damned car ever built, owned by a guy who seems to understand that it was made to be driven hard and thoroughly enjoyed for exactly what it is. This whole set of pictures is like a step back in time, to a place we all probably wish we were. My hats off to the owner for owning, keeping and most importantly driving this incredible machine as it was meant to be. I wish I was more articulate so I could accurately describe what I mean, but this is the best I can do. I'm just thrilled by these pictures, this car, and this owner. This is the perfect antidote to the whole B-J nonsense. There is hope in the world of auto enthusiasts. You want to invest - go buy stocks. These cars were built to be driven and enjoyed. Congrats to the owners - you're my heroes of the day.

Last edited by 767Jockey; 06-14-2007 at 02:32 PM..
Old 06-14-2007, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx3050
on another note, where the registry says it was on a cross country run; my dad was supposed to take carrol shelby for a ride in a parade in alpine, texas. it ended up raining so shelby rode in a model a or model t instead since the top was off or the cobra. people think that he was just there for a cross counrty run. and another time my dad got in the middle of a bunch of vettes around 1973 or 74 and blew passed em so mabye they reported that. but the car has never been on a rally. it dont have enough miles on it to have been in one! this is my dads words here "if anyone would like to talk about my car or yours or if you need any help or advice, shoot my son a message on this site and he will send you my email and phone number, thanks." he also says he agrees the he fully intends to find the right spark plug wires, hoses and clamps and any other parts to make it closer to factory! and he is glad to see that there are people out there that are as meticulous as he is about originality, people do stupid things when they are young he says, and "i was one of em!" my dad was also part of the boss 429 shotgun mustang when he was in high school, and ordered the first one. he has owned a 1972 detomaso pantera, 1970 hemi cuda, 1969 mustang mach 1 427 medium riser from the factory. my dads high school girlfriend and still very good friend, karen wynne's grandfather managed carrol shelby's ranch in terlinga, tx, and gave her a dollor bill at the dinner table while at the ranch during one of several visits.
I'd be more than happy to help your dad with missing parts and such, as I am sure others here into originality would.

One more question.... what does the title list your car as? 65 or 66? The car should be a 66, not a 65.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 06-14-2007, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Stunning car and I love the colour. Thanks for posting the pictures.
However, if I understand the thread correctly, it never goes anywhere other than being pushed out the garage and back in again once in a while, which I think is a real, real shame

Paul
Old 06-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey
I won't even comment on the car, nothing needs to be said- it's just incredible. What I absolutely love is the fact that it's not in some multi million dollar temperature controlled B-J more money than common sense environment. It's in some junk filled single car garage like the vast majority of us have our $40K replicas slid into. The boxes on the old kitchen counter top, some old tires stacked in the corner, and this incredible car sitting there just waiting for Mr. Every Day Joe to come out and strap it on and go blast down some back road somewhere. The rug is beat up through wear and use, and that's perfect! That's what this car's all about. It's not some waxed up, Wilton Wool and Connelly leathered showpiece. It's the nastiest damned car ever built, owned by a guy who seems to understand that it was made to be driven hard and thoroughly enjoyed for exactly what it is. This whole set of pictures is like a step back in time, to a place we all probably wish we were. My hats off to the owner for owning, keeping and most importantly driving this incredible machine as it was meant to be. I wish I was more articulate so I could accurately describe what I mean, but this is the best I can do. I'm just thrilled by these pictures, this car, and this owner. This is the perfect antidote to the whole B-J nonsense. There is hope in the world of auto enthusiasts. You want to invest - go buy stocks. These cars were built to be driven and enjoyed. Congrats to the owners - you're my heroes of the day.
So very well said! You clearly captured my exact thoughts as well...a working man's hot rod in a working man's garage. These pics have restored my faith that these scenes still exist in what has quickly become a very warped world.

-Dean
Old 06-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy
Stunning car and I love the colour. Thanks for posting the pictures.
However, if I understand the thread correctly, it never goes anywhere other than being pushed out the garage and back in again once in a while, which I think is a real, real shame

Paul
Doing the math from the third sentence of the first, original post, the owner has put approximately 10,000 miles on it since he purchased it. Just a great story!
Old 06-14-2007, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default title

yea the title says 66. thats when it was shipped or bought i would think? ill quizz my dad, he has the title in a safety deposit box, lol.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx3050
yea the title says 66. thats when it was shipped or bought i would think? ill quizz my dad, he has the title in a safety deposit box, lol.
Yes, it should be a 66, as far as I know, no S/Cs were technically 65 model years. CSX3050 was "invoiced" to Shelby in 65, but the car was ordered, built, and delivered in 66.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey
Doing the math from the third sentence of the first, original post, the owner has put approximately 10,000 miles on it since he purchased it. Just a great story!
The car hadn't been anywhere between '75 and "like 3 years ago" and now apparently, only goes anywhere on a trailer. So I assume the 10,000 miles were put on the car in the early '70's.
As I said, the car is terrific, but as it is, it's "worthless" as a Cobra in my humble opinion. It's a static display that no one gets to see it, apart from these photos, which I appreciate; and it never gets driven. I'm sorry, I don't get it.
Whilst I appreciate a car in original condition, I would far rather see a car that has had to be sympathetically restored a number of times because it has been well used and enjoyed.
My view is that these cars only have value, and I don't mean monetary value, as just that "cars". They were meant to be driven hard, seen and heard.
The late Dick Smith's Cobra is therefore, far more interesting and "valuable" for that reason.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, least of all CSX3050 or his Dad. I'm just expressing a personal view. Right, I've got my hard hat and flack jacket on, fire away

There is one proviso to the above opinion, that being if the owner is, for whatever reason, no longer able to drive, but still has an attachment to the car. If that is the case, I do "get it".

Paul

Last edited by FatBoy; 06-15-2007 at 12:56 AM..
Old 06-15-2007, 01:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I can easily understand those that don't drive either the originals and in MANY cases the replicas. While we certainly admire those that DO drive, and drive them hard, I have also come to understand the beauty of simply 'having it around'! Like a piece of art or a sculpture is enjoyed simply for what it is. I don't drive my ERA nearly as much as I used to, but I still enjoy having the car around for the occasional weekend blast, or just to go out and tinker on it. It's a terrific conversation piece, and at times, that alone is enough for me.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can understand not driving them every day, every week or even every month, but for 30+ years ?

A painting or sculpture is slightly different in that they are only ever meant to be looked at, whereas a car's beauty and form is derived from its function. I have a couple of Vincent motorcycles and I often go into the garage just to look at them (my wife thinks it's a bit sad ) , but the real pleasure comes from riding them and working on them. I believe it is that combination that creates the relationship.

Paul
Old 06-15-2007, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's what makes replicas worth having. They can be driven but I enjoy looking at an original and I'm always happy to see one that's kept pristine.
Larry
Old 06-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

Everybody gets through life differently, and what the OWNER does is up to the OWNER. I personally would drive the BEAST, but it's not mine. The car will live it's life as the OWNER sees fit. Thanks for sharing all that you have shared.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic
Everybody gets through life differently, and what the OWNER does is up to the OWNER. I personally would drive the BEAST, but it's not mine. The car will live it's life as the OWNER sees fit. Thanks for sharing all that you have shared.
That's it right there. Some would keep it tucked away, and some would drive it. Personally, I would drive the crap out of it. If it got chiped and dented, well that's just part of owning an aluminum body car. But I also have respect for those who DON'T drive it. You just have to see both sides of the fence.

Think about this... if the car HADN'T been tucked away since 1976, I doubt we'd all be salivating over what the car looks like today. It would probably be like most other S/Cs.... damaged, repaired, repainted, modified, etc....

Old 06-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If I owned 3050, it would get driven around the block every now and then to keep things in good working order and that's about it......
It is far to valuable in my opinion to put on the street for some knuckle head to run into...........a number of original owners do have replicas that they drive and enjoy and leave their originals to the safe keeping of the garage...........

Maybe a track day every now and then, after all, it would be safer on the track than on the street.........

I'm just glad it is in it's present state and not modified as a lot of originals have been over the years........had it not been kept "in the barn" all these years, we would not be able to see how they came from SAI back in the day.........

David
Old 06-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

I know me. There is no way I could maintain the willpower necessary to Not drive that car. LOL And, like David said, it has to better for the car to use it than just have it sit. Yes, thats it...........a perfectly good reason to get in it and Let 'er rip
Old 06-15-2007, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey guys, This is Jack, Johns dad. Thanks for the compliments on my old car. I am more of a purist myself so please be aware I will indeed replace the indoor outdoor carpet and the wires before I recieve to much flack. I had to rush the carpet job because I was suppost to ride with Carroll Shelby in a parade carroll ended up riding in a model t because of weather issues.
Jack W. McIntyre
CSX3050 owner for 35 years now!
Old 06-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wasn't that a big controversy when owners discovered Shelby had secrectly swapped out the wilton wool carpeting for indoor/outdoor carpeting on certain SC models 'back in the day'?

Old 06-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Great car. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Jack-
I assume you first bought simply because you liked it. At what point i those 35 years of ownership did you realize that you had an incredibly rare and valuable car?

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 06-16-2007, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ive always known it was going to be worth something but never imagined it would be what it is today! i was young and had the money, and i followed the whole cobra project when i was younger and just had a chance to jump on this car. i guess it was just luck.