Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

John tell your Dad he has 273 days until the 2012 BBORR parade and we need to get that car running. Tell him I am ready to come to Ft. Stockton if he wants help.

Jim
Old 07-28-2011, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You must be proud,thinking of the these cars for what the are and how they stir the soul.Having a kit hand built exactly the way one would want a Cobra to be is quite a feeling.But to own an original Wow,that has to be incredible.Thank you
Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shelby american, inc, 427
Not Ranked     

hey Jim! good hearing from you!! my padre said hello and he will let you know what hes gonna do! right now we are workin on gettin the tiger finished up and he got a 74 bronco and is in the middle of a halfway restoration on it, so it may be late this year or first thing next year before we get around to his pride and joy. hope all is well sir!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx3050 View Post
hey Jim! good hearing from you!! my padre said hello and he will let you know what hes gonna do! right now we are workin on gettin the tiger finished up and he got a 74 bronco and is in the middle of a halfway restoration on it, so it may be late this year or first thing next year before we get around to his pride and joy. hope all is well sir!
Ditto John. Those old Broncos are fun, had a 1977 with 4" of lift and a fire-breathing 302. They are tinker-toy simple. Tell your dad to check out broncohut.com and broncograveyard.com if he needs parts.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Revell
Not Ranked     

I had never imagined an S/C wearing orange - but CSX3050 is gorgeous in that coat! Her honest wear makes her all the more beautiful to my eyes.

Thanks for sharing, Jack and John.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Revell
Not Ranked     
Red face

Alright, off topic, but I'll hijack my accidental double-post to ask: How does one delete a post?

Last edited by Rodster; 07-28-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Neat car! Great to see it preserved so nicely! I'd never be able to just leave it in the garage. Glad you have, though. Just so there is such a nice example out there. YOu need to get a professional photographer go over the car with a real expert. Cars like these should be preserved in a book. They will only become more valuable as time goes on.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

After recently discovering this thread, and the great pictures of this beautiful orange car, I think I have found the colour I want for my own.

So next question then, what color is it? Anyone have a code or reference for this shade of orange? It looks a lot like Fords Grabber Orange, but I don't think that colour appeared till 1969 so that seems unlikely.

I look forwards to any assistance - thanks in advance
Old 01-01-2018, 10:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tim,
If memory serves I think CSX 3050 was painted Gulf Orange - that same orange is used on the pale blue with orange stripe John Wyer race cars of the 60's.
If it is Gulf Orange, then it is from the production Triumph sports cars and is called Marigold. Porsche also used it in the 70s too. The code for PPG is 60812.
Hope that helps!
Steve
Old 01-02-2018, 12:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRM View Post
Tim,
If memory serves I think CSX 3050 was painted Gulf Orange - that same orange is used on the pale blue with orange stripe John Wyer race cars of the 60's.
If it is Gulf Orange, then it is from the production Triumph sports cars and is called Marigold. Porsche also used it in the 70s too. The code for PPG is 60812.
Hope that helps!
Steve
Thanks Steve.

But I was wondering if you meant the Triumph color was Topaz? I could not find a reference to Marigold (in orange) anywhere. That said, from what I can see, Topaz was not introduced until 1975 by Trumph so maybe it is not right. It does have the PPG code you mention however of 60812 (Color Codes - Ditzler PPG 60812 Cross-Reference)

And yes Porsche does have a Gulf Orange (Color Codes - Ditzler PPG 60690 Cross-Reference) which came out in 1972.

So these colours do look close, but I guess they not exactly right because they were released after CSX3050 was made?
Old 01-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, there is some history behind the whole thing...

Originally, the blue and orange was the logo of a US oil company that Gulf bought. Wyer and Gulf wanted to use them on the race cars, so they used the English equivalent based on a British Leyland (Standard-Triumph) code called Marigold. They used an ICI code 3393. and that was the original Gulf orange from '64 or so. The primary paint companies in the UK at the time were ICI, Glasurit, and Berger, and there were a few more in Europe like MaxMeyer.
Anyway, the original is ICI, the PPG version is a cross reference to the ICI...PPG bought ICI in the late 90s.
By the 70s PPG was a player in the UK, and the Topaz is the same as what PPG thinks is Gulf Orange. The Porsche Gulf Orange is a different code. I have seen both and cannot say there is a difference, but I have never seen them side by side.
So the only way to get the original orange is to get the ICI paint which no longer exists. I think the PPG is a great match. Funny thing is, I had painted out some samples and took them to the Festival of Speed in England years ago, and Jacky Ickx (of all people!!) saw me kneeling in front of a Porsche 917 comparing my chips to the real thing. He laughed and said they were about as perfect as you could get.
Take it for what it is worth, but I would have no problem using the code I supplied and would be confident that it is as close as possible without finding a NOS gallon of the stuff somewhere.
Hope that helps, and I hope you dont mind the history...its a bit of a hobby...

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-03-2018, 02:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow Steve, thanks so much for this response. The history is fantastic to read, and I liked your story.

So now the only question I have, is CSX3050 (or the other orange car, CSX2409) actually Gulf Orange?

Let's compare:

CSX Originals

Old 01-03-2018, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And the alternates ...

1972 Porsche Gulf Orange

verses the

Triumph Topaz

So I know its so hard to capture these things just right, but it seems the Porsche color is a better match. So when you were comparing your color chips to that original 917, was that a sample of the Topaz, or the Porsche Gulf orange?

Thanks

(And PS - Sorry to the OP for the thread hijack, but maybe after a decade since the first post it's not so bad ...)

Last edited by Jethrow; 01-03-2018 at 05:40 AM..
Old 01-03-2018, 05:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Beautiful cars and I like that the Cobra is original and not restored way beyond what it came from Shelby as.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-04-2018, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethrow View Post
Wow Steve, thanks so much for this response. The history is fantastic to read, and I liked your story.

So now the only question I have, is CSX3050 (or the other orange car, CSX2409) actually Gulf Orange?

Let's compare:

CSX Originals

I've seen CSX2409 in person (it's the car at Drew Serb's The Cobra Experience I referred to in another post--good job finding pics to post!) and it seemed too yellow to me to be "Gulf Orange", but that could be the yellow stripes? The Porsche looks close in the pics as does CSX3050. As I'm trying to figure out what color to paint my car, I'm realizing how hard it is to really figure out color choice based on pictures--lighting and processing has so much impact.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Hey, have 3050 add some gun oil to the front right mag. It will save it from deterioration.....
csx3050 likes this.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shelby american, inc, 427
Not Ranked     

So, it's been a many moon.. A lot has changed since our last posts here! We have acquired several other Shelby vehicles for the collection. We are currently building a auto restoration complex, along with a good sized showroom. Most importantly, CSX3050 has a new home after hanging out in the same garage for over 46 years. We have not parted ways with the car, she just received a much deserved and upgraded home better suited for preservation and viewing. She's excited! She may even get that cracked valve spring retainer fixed sooner than later. This is the reason my dad parked the car so long ago(1975). We would like to try to find a few parts that have been misplaced or have gone bad over the last 51 years my dad has owned the car. If there is anyone here that has any good leads or information, please message me. Thank ya!
Old 07-09-2022, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx3050 View Post
So, it's been a many moon.. A lot has changed since our last posts here! We have acquired several other Shelby vehicles for the collection. We are currently building a auto restoration complex, along with a good sized showroom. Most importantly, CSX3050 has a new home after hanging out in the same garage for over 46 years. We have not parted ways with the car, she just received a much deserved and upgraded home better suited for preservation and viewing. She's excited! She may even get that cracked valve spring retainer fixed sooner than later. This is the reason my dad parked the car so long ago(1975). We would like to try to find a few parts that have been misplaced or have gone bad over the last 51 years my dad has owned the car. If there is anyone here that has any good leads or information, please message me. Thank ya!
You should post a list of what you're looking for. We could probably help more with specific parts.
Larry