LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2007, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby - SAAC Disagreement?

http://www.shelbyforums.com/forums/1...c-anymore.html

I found this thread on the Shelbyforums.com website. Hope you guys don't mine if I post the link to this cobra forum. The Shelby and SAAC war allegations (rumors) are kind of interesting (to me anyway). Thought you guys would like to learn about this new (maybe old) information too. Any SAAC members on Club Cobra?

Many Thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

I can see this thread lasting long.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 07-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

There are quite a few SAAC members here. Some public, some just lurk. Some of the members here are highly regarded SAAC folks, like Nedsel, the SAAC Registrar for the 427 Cobras and some are just long term members; like me. Having said that, there have been public rumors for quite some time over a 'rift' of some sort but NOBODY has ever produced evidence. As Shelby has proven over and over he is not afraid to voice his opinion and IF there were a rift I am sure he would speak out and rip who he thought responsible: SAAC, Kopec, Eber, etc...
My gut tells me it's all a load of BS, because CS appears at a ton of SAAC events even if he does miss the Nationals. It really smacks of another wagon to jump on along with the charity brouhaha (read the WHOLE article and see CS's side). And 'lawyers involved' usually means public filings..that have NEVER been linked ANYWHERE. At his age and with his health concerns..especially his immune system around large gatherings..I am amazed he comes out as much as he does. Maybe he has gotten tired of people slipping him crap to sign at Nationals (AC stuff seems to piss him off) or maybe the other events pay more. We all KNOW that CS can chase a dollar until George Washington changes color!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Scuttlebutts or real facts?

This post below is from the Shelbyforums.com starter thread link above (not me guys).

My understanding is that there is a big (read:HUGE) riff between SAAC and Shelby about alot of different things, including (but not limited to):

- Shelbys desire to do his own Shelby registry

- Shelbys desire to do his own Shelby shows in Las Vegas (and elsewere)

- Shelbys desire to have returned to him all the original paperwork that was loaned to SAAC a number of years ago - That includes all the original cancelled Shelby American checks that, somehow, have found their way to being sold on e bay (!) from time-to-time.

- Shelbys desire for free, open elections at SAAC (oops, sorry, that is MY desire!)

There is a lot of allagations being thrown between the two parties and the lawyers are now involved.

Don't hold your breath for Shelby to appear at anything SAAC in the near future.

Many thanks.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Without rehashing all the boring details, this issue conjures up the situation that motivated me to leave the SAAC precursor, the Shelby Owners' Association in 1973. It's spelled M-O-N-E-Y, and I suspect that if it isn't an urban legend in the making, ole CS is tired of the SAAC making a lot of it off of his name.

My position in 1973 was that car clubs are for camaraderie, sharing information about the marque, and good times, not profit. It hasn't changed much since then.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:26 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Hi Richard
Old 07-26-2007, 04:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Moderator Note-

As Bill coyly suggested... This is a classic troll thread.

The thread starter is a man of many identities here, each one attempting to stir controversy or drive a personal agenda..

In his current 'costume,' he hasn't broken any rules (yet), so I will leave this thread open for discussion...
...only if it stays right on topic...I mean pin-point on topic.

If it strays, it will be closed and purged.

ron
Club Cobra Moderator

Last edited by computerworks; 07-26-2007 at 04:59 AM..
Old 07-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersnakes
- Shelbys desire for free, open elections at SAAC (oops, sorry, that is MY desire!)
And I suppose you also want free, open elections at Shelby Automobiles? There are no SAAC elections as SAAC is a privately held corporation and the "members" are NOT shareholders. While this is not the usual in "car clubs", it is not unusual in other clubs (think country clubs, etc.) and to expect "regime change" is to hope for a visit from the tooth fairy.

(AC stuff seems to piss him off)
Yes, ask my wife at SAAC Dearborn circa 1986! She REALLY set him off!

And yes, SAAC is not too keen on returning "loaned" documents. I have never been returned originals I provided regarding a friends 67 GT350 that ran at Daytona and Sebring. These were loaned for research to allow an article to developed.......years later I was told they "can't be located"

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

I attended the last day of SAAC Vegas 2006 and the last day of SAAC 2006 at VIR. I did not see Shelby either day.

Perhaps if Shelby had a problem with the club, you would not expect to see his tractor trailer with Shelby employees at the SAAC convention? Has Shelby stopped advertising in the SAAC magazine? Not that I recall.

And why didn't I see him at his factory in Vegas? Perhaps he is having a feud with Amy, Gary or someone else?

If Shelby wanted to remove the SAAC name from the Vegas show, I don't think SAAC could stop him. So he could easily turn the Vegas convention into his own personal convention. But why bother to compete with SAAC? I'm sure it is easier to just advertise in the SAAC publications and have a presences at the conventions.

And why go to the trouble of creating his own registry? I'm sure he cannot just expect to copy all of the information out of the SAAC registry into his own. And it would take a long time to collect all of that information all over again independently. And just how much money do you think he would make off of a competing registry? He probably has much bigger plans to make money.

The only problem that I can see with the SAAC registry is that it is a book that gets published every decade or so. If SAAC does not want to take this information online, then they should publish updates to the registry on a regular basis (much like they moved classified to the snakebite bulletins when the magazine started to come out so infrequently). Then they could sell the registry updates as a subscription to registry owners.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was seriously thinking about purchasing one of Shelby's re-manufactured original 427 cobra imitations, and joining the Shelby American Automobile Club (SAAC) this year.
And have SAAC list me as the new CSX owner in the new cobra registry.

But, after I found out that Shelby reproduction cobras depreciate in value by as much as 40% after you purchase one, well I just don't think I want to lose my butt in a reproduction Shelby cobra right now.

Many Thanks,

Jay Petersen
(new guy)
Old 07-26-2007, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     

Wish i could find a used CSX reproduction cobras thats depreciate in value by as much as 40%!!!! Please let me know were and who is selling it discounted !!!!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

boy "Jay"...are you on thin ice.

That post is off the topic....your 'agenda' is showing, again.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Supersnakes last post speaks volumes about how much he really knows about Shelby news, which apparently is ZERO! A statement like '40%' drop in value is ridiculous. From that I would have to assume his whole thread is equally ridiculous!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks
boy "Jay"...are you on thin ice.

That post is off the topic....your 'agenda' is showing, again.
Do you want me to remove my opinion computer guy? I will be glad too if you wish. Sorry?

Many Thanks.

JP
Old 07-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

No thanks...not necessary.
I'll handle it now.
Closed Thread