Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Quick answers please - originality issues

I'm running short on time as the car goes to painter Friday and I leave for a month the next day. Questions I have are:

1- Defroster vents. My car had aluminum vent covers over drilled holes in the cowl. I have no defroster in the car. Did the original S/C's have these defroster vent covers? If they did, were they painted body color with the stripes on them, or were they raw aluminum? I'm inclined to leave them off unless they came originally with the S/C's.

2- What side of the car does the hood prop belong on?

3- What side of the car does the trunk prop go on?

4- Is the striping diagram on the ERA site accurate? It shows tapered stripes. Were the S/C stripes tapered or straight?

5- Anyone have a paint code that approximates the look of the creamy white of the original white gel cote on the footboxes?

6- Did the S/C's have a cowl mounted center rear view mirror? Was it the round one or rectangular one?

Any other common mistakes normally made that I should be aware of?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

1. S/C had no defroster

2. Hood prop pass side

3. Trunk prop drivers side

4. ERA diagram is accurate for ERA's

5. your call..they get creamy looking with age.

6. Rear view mirror on S/C was rectangular
Old 04-09-2008, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

4. absolutely go with the tapered stripe. it looks funny without it.

Good layout diagrams and answers to almost all of your questions

http://allthingscobra.tripod.com//au...c_touches.html

Last edited by fsstnotch; 04-09-2008 at 03:42 PM..
Old 04-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
4. ERA diagram is accurate for ERA's
OK, Ron - I give!
What's the deal? I'm guessing the stripes ERA uses are not the same as the S/C's? Where can I find the correct stripe dimensions?
Would it help if I say please? I'm right in West Islip - I can be in Northport in minutes with a bribe of some sort if that's required!

Last edited by 767Jockey; 04-09-2008 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Lousy typos as usual!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm pretty sure the originals were 7 1/4 with 1" space and no taper. It's been posted here before. I'll see if I can find it.

Mirror placement and vent info can be found on the website I posted.

Last edited by fsstnotch; 04-09-2008 at 07:01 PM..
Old 04-09-2008, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Also, the mirror should not be centered on the car. It should be about an inch to the right of the center. Correct mirror is a Lucas, not the generic mirror that comes on every Cobra currently.

The trunk doesn't get a prop rod like the hood, it uses a latched metal telescopic arm. (not sure what your car comes with)

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241

Last edited by Power Surge; 04-09-2008 at 07:31 PM..
Old 04-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

Trunk gets a "folding arm" ? The trunk should get a sliding / telescoping (looks similar to a tool box drawer slider) arm type of mechanism with a built in automatic catch mechanism to hold it open. When the trunk is open to release the catch you lift up on the trunk lid and the mechanism releases allowing the trunk lid to close.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...like the ones ERA come with.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

Are you going to paint the stripes under the clear or put them on top so you can feel the edge? I think on top is correct.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx700? View Post
Trunk gets a "folding arm" ? The trunk should get a sliding / telescoping (looks similar to a tool box drawer slider) arm type of mechanism with a built in automatic catch mechanism to hold it open. When the trunk is open to release the catch you lift up on the trunk lid and the mechanism releases allowing the trunk lid to close.
Heh, your description is better than mine was . Talking about the same thing though, I'll edit my post.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, all. I'll have to try to find the Lucas rear view mirror. I have the right trunk rod system, or whatever the term is. Open the trunk and it stays up. To close it lift it enough to release the mechanism and it'll close. I think it's the right one. Anyone have a lead on the Lucas rear view mirror? I can go search for it, but someone likely knows off the top of their head.

Two things for Sal -
Where'd you get the nifty original looking regulator (I found your pictures after my original post about it. I know looks and location now, just need to know where to find one.

Also, what do you think - tapered or untapered stripes? My car will never be near as original looking as yours, but as long as I'm getting things done here I might as well do what I can.

Last edited by 767Jockey; 04-09-2008 at 08:29 PM..
Old 04-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobred View Post
Are you going to paint the stripes under the clear or put them on top so you can feel the edge? I think on top is correct.
I hadn't thought about painting on top of the clear. This may be a point at which I pass on originality and go with what I like, which is stripes under the clear. Good point though, Ed - thanks for bringing it up!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Thanks, all. I'll have to try to find the Lucas rear view mirror. I have the right trunk rod system, or whatever the term is. Open the trunk and it stays up. To close it lift it enough to release the mechanism and it'll close. I think it's the right one. Anyone heave a lead on the Lucas rear view mirror? I can go search for it, but someone likely knows off the top of their head.

Two things for Sal -
Where'd you get the nifty original looking regulator (I found your pictures after my original post about it. I know looks and location now, just need to know where to find one.

Also, what do you think - tapered or untapered stripes? My car will never be near as original looking as yours, but as long as I'm getting things done here I might as well do what I can.
My mirror is off an original car, but I also bought one when I had my Kirkham from Motorsports International. Unfortunately, they have fallen off the face of the earth as of late. Try doing searches for Lucas parts suppliers. There are still some out there, mostly in England.

Stripes.. my stripes taper from 7.5 at the cowl to 6 inches at the nose. Dunno if that's "correct", but I think my stripes look good.

As for the regulator, try AMK, and try any of the Mustang restoration suppliers. Mine has modern electronics in it. I just swapped the correct cover onto a modern regulator that had the correct base. Modern regulators have rivited covers, but that doesn't matter because the old style covers screw on.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
My mirror is off an original car, but I also bought one when I had my Kirkham from Motorsports International. Unfortunately, they have fallen off the face of the earth as of late. Try doing searches for Lucas parts suppliers. There are still some out there, mostly in England.
I'll give it a shot.

Quote:
Stripes.. my stripes taper from 7.5 at the cowl to 6 inches at the nose. Dunno if that's "correct", but I think my stripes look good.
Do they also taper at the rear? ERA shows a rear taper as well. They start at 7 1/2" at the rear of the cockpit, and taper down to 6 1/4" at the rear of the car.

Quote:
As for the regulator, try AMK, and try any of the Mustang restoration suppliers. Mine has modern electronics in it. I just swapped the correct cover onto a modern regulator that had the correct base. Modern regulators have rivited covers, but that doesn't matter because the old style covers screw on.
That's exactly what I want to do. I have an electronic regulator that I'll drill the rivets out of and slap the "correct" cover on. Thanks for the info, I'll check all the Mustang places. They have blue and black covers. The black one is the one I'm looking for, correct? With the big "Autolite" stamp on it?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Do they also taper at the rear? ERA shows a rear taper as well. They start at 7 1/2" at the rear of the cockpit, and taper down to 6 1/4" at the rear of the car.
Whether the stripes on a car taper or not has nothing to do with how original SC's were done. There is no ‘norm’ or factory specification for stripes on a Cobra, if in fact a customer ordered stripes.

The reason stripes taper from more narrow at the front and back to a wider stripe when they reach the cockpit is to 'correct' an optical illusion. When you view a car with stripes from the front or rear it is like looking down a set of railroad tracks. The tracks are parallel but appear to narrow in the distance. By making each stripe a little wider at the cockpit you eliminate the illusion of the 'tracks' coming together.

Lay them out to your taste, just remember that this illusion can exist.