Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Gas Mileage Roush 427R - just curious

Yes I know we didn't buy these cars with a concern for gas mileage but I was interested in what other owners of Roush 427R's are getting. I have a Holley 870, dual plane manifold, Roush oval air cleaner 427R and get somewhere between 8 and 10 mpg and on a really good day up to 12. Is this consistent with your car? Have you changed your carb or done anything that would change the mileage?

While always interested in what other motors produce, it would be great if you could confine comments to the 427R - yea, I know, rag, rag, rag!

Just the facts, maam.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

427R, dual plane, AED custom Holley mechanical double pumper (@850cfm). 10mpg around town or on the highway,
doesn't matter, doesn't get above 10. Get's about 5mpg at VIR.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

I have a keith craft 427w with fuel injection and get about the same ~10ish. I lean it out in cruise 16:1 where I'm upto the high teens. Getting one it (where I usually am ) and it is low single digits. Average ~10ish.

I would much rather be paying for the high cost of gas during the 70's gas crunch!!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

Tom,

Sorry, I get better mileage with my 514 . I was getting a couple of gallons less at the gas station's then the smaller engined cars. No names mentioned Chris or Mike!

Scott
Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

Were the smaller engine cars all filled up by the time you got there.

Last edited by Rwillia4; 10-04-2007 at 08:42 PM..
Old 10-03-2007, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4771-CF. 1966 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Scott,

So it would seem to be true but then again you can't go past a 1/2 tank so I don't think the math works the same?

Tom,

I know mine isn't the 427R but I get 10-12mpg on trips. I would get a new motor if I was you. Hey a Cobra Hybrid that would be different.

Mike
Old 10-04-2007, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MIII, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

I can average 10-12 on the highway but nothing I do get's me above 8 in mixed driving. Oh well, atleast the gas never sits long enough to go bad. I've had the carb adjusted, but I really don't think a carb'd 427 is ever going to put out much over 14mpg.

-Dan
Old 10-04-2007, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Are you kidding ????

cobrasnake How heavy is your right FOOT?? It's not a honda. Racing I get about 4-5 gpm. cruising in overdrive with 3.31 gears 14-16 gpm. This is with a very streetable FE motor with FI system. It runs on reg gas if needed. If you put an egg under the gas pedal, this should help raise the mpg's if not at least you have breakfast. Rick L.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rick, you get 14-16 GPM?!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

My gas mileage on my daily driver, a Trailblazer SS with a Corvette engine says when I initiate the mileage reminder at 14 and it doesn’t matter how I drive it, it has never indicated more than 14. On a long trip I kept all the gas receipts and when I returned home found out I’m actually around 17 miles per gallon. I think sometime the Cobras mileage might be better but it being my toy I have never checked its mileage.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

There are several things that are effecting your milage besides whether you drive with a lead foot or an egg under the pedal---restrictive small aircleaners ,exhaust systems that have the wrong tuned length, radical high rpm cams that are lugged around below there operating range, carbs and ignition that are dyno tuned for the big number----
That 5-600 hp dyno slip will give you 5-6 mpg---always has(406fe1962) up thru todays versions of similar engines---
If you want mpg get a modern set up with 300-350 inches and enjoy the DRIVE----if you to enjoy the RIDE ( yea, typical Cobra) throw in about $50 every 75 or 80 miles---

Jerry
Old 10-04-2007, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

can't say about mpg and the Roush motors. But in my own car, a 392 Windsor, with 15 inch wheels, several different Tremec and varying diff ratios, i find my highway cruise, at about 70-80 mph, to be around 14-15 mpg at best. In mostly town, perhaps 10-12 or so. Once, had to drive a long distance on a fresh tank, in pouring rain, and due to the risk of hydraplane, and not having much vision, driving very cautiously at about 50 mph for several hundred miles, i was suprised to get 21 mpg!.

Before you do your own mpg test, be sure your speedo-odo is accurate!! I can pull a safe 200+ miles out of a tank of 93 octane. My bladder can't do that, though.

all the best,
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 10-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Don't know. Don't care.

I do however average about 50 smiles per mile.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Was waiting to see if someone was sharp

fsstnotch Gald to see you are staying sharp with the gpms Fire up the motor in an hour. If it runs for 20 minutes without problems. I change the oil and run it to the dyno shop. Have to wait till the people go to work. Even with street pipes, it still rocks the house Hope you and family are doing well. Having a heat wave again. In the 80's till Sunday. This is crazy for OCT. Listen to the guy on your shoulder and stay sharp. I leave for R&G on MON morn. Will e-mail before I go. Put 6-spd back in car and fixed shifter. New motor will bounce off 6k rev chip in MSD. Hoping for another 40-60 hp and about 75-80ft of TORQUE I will be passing through on 80W. You want me to clean the gutters on the house? . 17 hour drive to Gateway, with 1 power nap. Rick L.